So, you can't really sell DVDs Blu-ray on Amazon any more? (And what to do?)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Made shelve room for another 1000 DVD titles. Yippee!!! :)

I'm seeing loads of new blu Ray titles for 1.00 ..mostly low budget production stuff. If the film's crap I keep the thin amaray case, disc goes in the bin.

2. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

If I buy a movie, it's only one that I really like and I know I'll watch multiple times. I have noticed though, that I don't buy them like I used to. Movies that I have seen more than ten times:
    "The Right Stuff, Notes on a Scandal, Dances With Wolves (4 hour version), Brokeback Mountain, 2001 : A Space Odyssey, Billy Elliot, Apollo 13, Bully (Larry Clark)", to name a few that I can think of offhand. Other favorites:
    "Towelhead, The Impossible, Fury, Across the Universe, The Revenant, White Fang, Porky's" (I better stop)

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I have well over 700 Blu-rays, many second hand. Several of my 80+ UHD are second hand as well. Streaming doesn't cut it for image or sound quality.

Second hand physical media for music or movies is somewhat niche. In the grand scheme of mass consumption, there are very few who maintain movie and/or music collections. We buy new. We buy used.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

amazon made it impossible to sell dvds years ago, I think they started the used cd purge as well, they don't want peeps to buy a cd for a $1 when they can get hooked...I mean 'sign up' for amazon prime unlimited deluxe

head_unit likes this.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The secondhand music market was always bigger than movies. People would rent movies, but buy music.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've got to remark on this photo also. This is McKay's current location, after they saw the need for more space in which to sell the used media they buy from us. Sort of speaks for itself.

[​IMG]

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Home video began in the 80s and, yes, the business model was not the same as music. Obviously, new sales of vinyl records and CDs was higher than VHS or DVD.

I was merely countering the suggestion that the market for second hand Blu-ray and UHD was dead. That market never was huge in the first place, but the niche remains. It's also not exclusively a "brick & mortar" secondary market since Ebay has become so dominant. Many who buy new UHD will sell the included Blu-ray and, likewise, many who buy a new Blu-ray will sell the included DVD. There's also the Digital Code, so new physical disc sales include those who simply want the code and will sell the physical discs second hand.

8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Are there books here as well?

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The Hud likes this.
  10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Myke likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If space is a issue, toss away the cases and just keep the discs put them in folders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.