Social Distortion Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clanceman, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't often start threads, but when I do, it's because every other one is now closed.

This band, imo, is one of the most underrated bands. Punk, punkabilly or whatever you want to call them, they've endured the test of time, imo.

I'll be seeing them for the first time in like forever on their new tour when they hit Portland in March.

I lucked out & picked up an original "self titled" along with the original red colored "Sex, Love...."

There are some recent vinyl reissues.

Mike Ness is a legend. They put out some damned good records & I'm looking forward to seeing them soon. An Orange County, California born & bred institution.

What say you all?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. justplainatom

justplainatom Well-Known Member

Good band. I like em enough. My wife likes them a lot so I went and tried to buy all their CDs. Am slowly collecting all their albums on vinyl.

NudieSuitNezHead and Clanceman like this.
  3. davers

davers Forum Resident

I saw them at an alternative rock festival near Seattle in the early 90s and loved their non fussy approach. They came out dressed like auto mechanics and just rocked. Great stuff.

4. Clanceman

Just listened to the "concrete" colored "Prison Bound" reissue. Muddy sounding. Think my cd sounds better? I'll A/B

5. Clanceman

The reissues or originals?

Man, I saw a "Story Of My Life" rare, fan club issue. I don't know much about it. But I passed at $100. They also had an original "Mommy's Little Monster" for $75.

Hell, didn't realize "Sex, Love, Rock & Roll" was so expensive & rare either. I did pop for the $75 for that one. Dig this record.

6. Clanceman

I've had chances to see them the last 5 yrs or so. But yes, Ness is so cool & they do put on a helluva show!

NudieSuitNezHead and stonesstein like this.
  7. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Just checked them out on Youtube - good stuff!

Thanks for the heads-up Clanceman :righton:

Bananas&blow and Clanceman like this.
  8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I only know the song Lude Boy, which I think is brilliant.

Clanceman likes this.
  9. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

Great band but very inconsistent live. It all depends on Ness who often goes through the motions when he is performing live.

10. Agerst1574

Great band but very inconsistent live. It all depends on Ness who often goes through the motions when he is performing live.

11. Agerst1574

RunningWithScissors likes this.
  12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Although I've never seen SD, I did get to catch Ness twice in a club setting with his solo band. I remember there was talk of a possible new solo album, but it didn't seem like anything materialized. Obviously the SD name is going to draw bigger crowds and sell more records, but I really enjoyed what Ness was doing on those solo projects and the live band he used was incredible.

13. Clanceman

Much more "country flavor" as a solo act. :righton:

melstapler likes this.
  14. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Good stuff.
    I went through a big Social Distortion "phase" and still enjoy them very much.

Also, the Live At The Roxy album is essential imo.

15. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Count me in as a fan from the beginning.
    I was fortunate enough to see too really good live shows (1990, 1996 or thereabouts).

This documentary is fun. It chronicles Social Distortion and Youth Brigade on their first international tour. 1982.

16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I listened to Social D a lot '03-07. Great socal rock n roll band

17. Lloyd

Lloyd Forum Resident

Probably my favorite contemporary band during the 1990s, and the albums still hold up. Very disappointed that Ness did not continue issuing the solo records. Thought they were great, as well.

NudieSuitNezHead and Clanceman like this.
  18. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I began listening to them with the self titled album. That, Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell, and Sex, Love and Rock n' Roll are really good albums. There is an energy on those albums (and from many punk/hardcore bands) from that era that has not been duplicated.

Sex, Love and Rock n' Roll (I think) is the last with the line up of the original band. Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes is more like a Ness solo album and country-ish. IMO, Ness is the face of the band, but his best work is with the original line-up.

Someone, from the original band, is in Flogging Molly, if I recall correctly.

19. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I believe guitarist Dennis Danell died in 2000, at age 38 of a brain aneurysm. That makes White Light White Heat White Trash the last record with the original lineup.

Hey, were you in Charlotte in the 1990s? If so you probably saw them at the Tremont Music Club in 1996 (1997?). I was there! My wife and I lived in Charlotte for 5 years back then and we went to that show on our wedding anniversary (November 25th). People at work would ask, "What are you doing for your wife on your anniversary?". I would tell them we were going to see Social Distortion. I received a lot of blank stares.

Clanceman likes this.
  20. budwhite

21. budwhite

22. budwhite

23. budwhite

24. budwhite

25. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Reading the history of Sex, Love and Rock n' Roll I see that the album was an eulogy to Dennis..... which now, to me, makes that album even better.

I was not in Charlotte in the 90s. I've only been here since 2010. I'm familiar with the Tremont Music Hall and have seen some shows there. Sadly, it has closed. Charlotte is growing big time right now and I think some apartments are going there. I've not seen SD live and had a chance to this last summer because they were here, but it was a weekday show and I just don't have the jam for those types of hours anymore.

Clanceman likes this.