Soft Boys

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter D, Oct 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone heard the new Soft Boys CD yet? Is it any good? I just got around to buying Underwater Moonlight a couple of months ago and think its great, but I'm not holding out much hope that the reunion will live up to that standard.

2. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

It doesn't, but you know what? It is still pretty darned good, much better than it really has any right to this far down the road. If you like Underwater (and I love it), you should go ahead and check it out.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

3. Peter D

Re: Re: Soft Boys

That's good to hear. Thanks!

4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Re: Re: Soft Boys

I didn't even know about this. I love Underwater Moonlight. Sounds like I should pick this up.

5. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

For the curious, the album is called Nextdoorland and is out on Matador. It is their first studio album together in what, over 20 years? That's usually a scary proposition, but while Nextdoorland ain't Underwater Moonlight, it is a very good album. Soft Boys fans should certainly investigate. Amazon has samples for the first five songs online. Really, this is one of the better reunions I've heard, especially for a band so long apart. Worth the dough!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Since Robyn Hitchcock worked with Morris Windsor for years after the Soft Boys (including with the Egyptians), included Seligman on a number of his non-Egyptians tracks and and has been working with Kimberley Rew on some of his more recent solo projects, it's not as surprising as it may first seem that they still have "it" after 20 years.

Give it to the Soft Boys!

Regards,

7. Robyn Hitchcock was one of the highlights at Calgary Folk Music Festival in late July of 2002. His performace (during a workshop, backed by The Sadies) of Dylan's "You Ain't Going Nowhere" a la, The Byrds, and Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine and Lucifer Sam was my highlight of the weekend. Sy Barret never dreamt. :laugh: Hitchcock also performed a track from the new Soft Boys album during his solo acoustic main stage performance.

http://www.thesoftboys.com
    Besides the CD version, a limited vinyl edition also includes a bonus 7" with two live tracks from the band's April 2001 show at the Knitting Factory: "Underwater Moonlight" and "Only The Stones Remain."

Matador's Web site also has info on the new album. And you can dowload two tracks, Mr. Kennedy and Insanely Jealous for free, as well as watch a live video clip of Only The Stones Remain :)
    http://www.matadorrecords.com/the_soft_boys/
    Pat Collier the band's original producer was at the helm for this new recording.

And we're not done yet. There is also another CD available. The new Soft Boys album has also sprouted a "Side Three", released independently on the Editions PAF label. This CD comprises five studio tracks (also recorded with Pat Collier) and one live track from the last tour: "Evil Guy," recorded at the soundcheck at the Fillmore in April 2001 and featuring Thomas Dolby on keyboards. The record will be available at shows, as well as here in the shop once the tour comes to an end.
    http://www.thesoftboys.com/news.html
    Guess I'll have to wait. Their tour schedule only shows U.S. dates. :(

Has anyone compared the two Underwater Moonlight CDs? The old Rykodisc version and the recent Matador? Which one is better?

Tx.

Attached Files:

8. I'm off to A+B Sound or HMV whichever I hit first to grab this album. I just finished listening to the free mp3s from Matador.com and the other samples available from the Soft Boys Web site. This album is brilliant! Best thing I've heard in a long time. It's going to cheer up a very dull, grey, snowy day here in Calagary. Snow you say? Yes, it's coming down heavy.

The following review sums the album up nicely; a cross between Revolver and Syd's Pink Floyd.

from the River Cities' Reader
    written by John James
    "simply shimmers... Hitchcock rules my roost as the greatest living songwriter (British division), a dangerously charming cross between Revolver-era John Lennon and a dripping-wet Syd Barrett, a cocked eyebrow and a tender heart pinned upon his Dali-draped sleeve"

Amen to that!

9. Peter D

Actually, there's a third: Glass Fish Records in the UK released Underwater Moonlight on CD in 1990, before the Ryko version. This is the version I have. The bonus tracks on this CD are the same as on the Ryko CD, so perhaps Ryko merely reissued the Glass Fish release. (Unfortunately, there are no remastering credits on the Glass Fish disc, and I haven't compared it to Ryko and Matador CDs.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.