Solid State Amp Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beetlebum, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beetlebum

Beetlebum Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking to upgrade my amp situation, and I'm considering a few brands I haven't heard.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. It will driving a pair of Vandersteen 2CE signature and be fed by an Oppo BDP-103 into a Cary Audio SLP-88 Preamp. It will be replacing a Jolida 502B 55w integrated tube amp.

Amps I'm considering:
    Musical Fidelity A-300cr $1295
    Ayre V3 $900
    McCormack DNA-125 $825

Thanks!

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Respectable choices all of them.

I'm partial to Musical Fidelity - have an int amp myself but know of others who are very happy with MF.

What is your upper limit? There is a tasty A308 amp on the 'gon for a bit more than the A300.

3. Beetlebum

Thanks Erik! The A-300cr at $1295 is the top of my range, a bit more that I want to spend really.

What do like about the MF sound ?

4. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I'm Very happy with my Parasound Halo A23 sourced by Oppo HA-1 (as dac and pre) feeding LSA-2 towers (Von Schweikert VR2's basically). Great reviews. Nice to have adjustable gain, and they can be mono'd to add another later.

Extra Dry, HAmmer and Sneaky Pete like this.
  5. Beetlebum

Sounds like a very nice system. The Parasound is another I need to read up on, thanks!

Extra Dry and motorcitydave like this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Usually people want to ¨upgrade¨ from solid state to tubes. Why do you want to go solid state if I may ask ? . Don't get me wrong, I'm all for solid state myself, hence my curiosity.

7. Beetlebum

Good question.

I've been experimenting with a couple of cheap solid state amps, the Kenwood Basic M2A and a Behringer A200 PA style switching amp. They both put out 200W or so as compared with the Jolida's 55W. With both solid state amps I notice substantially improved increased bass presence and articulation, either from the wattage, or the fast 'response' time of the amps, or both.

My thought is that if these cheepies can sound that good, but with somewhat 'shrill' or 'strident' or 'harsh' highs and mids, that a good/great quality solid state should sound terrific.

I'm all for tubes, I just have the impression that a 150 to 200W tube amp is out of reach for me at this time. If I could afford it, I would look at the Audio Research 150.5 or 200.5. I know Richard Vandersteen often shows his stuff with Audio Research amps, but then he demos with Ayre amps as well.

The ones I mentioned have been noted as having a 'tube-like' sound. I definitely prefer a warm, smooth sound, but also precise and with sufficient 'umph'. I'll soon receive the Cary Audio SLP-88 tube pre, I'm hoping it will warm up those cold, digital bits :>)

Also, I listen to classical, jazz, acoustic and rock, so I like prefer a versatile setup.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My guess is when and if you find a solid-state amp that is of your liking, you won't go back to tubes, except maybe for certain types of music/recordings, and provided you have a secondary system. You have been bitten by the power bug, which is a good thing.

Hutch likes this.
  9. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Check out Odyssey. Built in the USA w/a 20 year Warranty on all parts. Also you can upgrade the amp if you need more power in the future.

Roger C, chodad and TraneLives like this.
  10. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

Maybe audition a Rega Brio-R? I'm very happy with mine. A loud 50wpc and it has some tube-like warmth, but not in an exaggerated way. At $900 it's right in the your sweet spot budget wise, too.

Ntotrar, sennj, TommyTunes and 2 others like this.
  11. TraneLives

TraneLives Active Member

I second the Odyssey recommendation. Audaciously good for the bucks. And then you can take years to gradually system match with their speakers and such.

kman, Roger C and Electric like this.
  12. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

At one point in time McCormack stuff was exceptional for the money. I'm not sure now, but I'd check that one out!

13. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Dynaco Dynakit #1 $685.00
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/dynaco-dyna...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item19f45b97ae
    Dynaco Dynakit #2 $700.00
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynakit-ST-...131003132420&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=121540410595&rt=nc
    Dynaco Dynakit #3 $750.00
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorgeous-Mu...595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4c5f7ce3

Fisher KX-200 $600.00
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-KX-2...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a9f760a33
    I have a Fisher X-101 and a HH Scott LK-48 that both sound incredible and musical,with all the best you can expect from tubes.They were both bought a few years ago from Goodwill,and only needed minor work.These old amps are a real bargain,and outperform anything new at double to triple the price.Personally,I prefer the integrated amps without receivers,like the Scott and Fisher.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Rega Brio-R.

Edit: just noticed you have a preamp already; the Brio is an integrated, so maybe you just need a power amp?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    Ntotrar and Matt Starr like this.
  15. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Add me to the list of Brio-R endorsers.

Ntotrar and bhazen like this.
  16. Beetlebum

Tyler & TraneLives: Regarding the Odyssey, are you thinking about the Stratos Stereo at 150W @ 8ohms ?

Regarding dedicated vs integrated, I have a Cary tube preamp on the way. The current search is for dedicated power amp to complement it.

Hi EasterEW! Previously, I had a Sansui 1000 which I liked well enough. Looking at the circuitry complexity terrified me though it sounded good. I think it needed a full rebuild to get it into 'hifi' territory, as it had bit of hiss ect. As mentioned before, however, I'm looking in the 150 - 200W into 8ohm range of dedicated amps.

If I went with a tube amp I would look at amps like the Audio Research 150.2.

What do you guys think about the Emotiva line ? Could I get 90% of the quality at 50% of the cost ? :>)

Updated research list:
    Musical Fidelity A-300cr $1295 used
    Ayre V3 $900 used
    McCormack DNA-125 $825 used
    Parasound Halo A23 $995 list
    Odyssey Stratos Stereo $1375 list
    Rega Brio

17. Beetlebum

As a correction to my original post, the Behringer PA amp I have is actually this one:
    Behringer A500 Studio Reference Amplifier, $200 on Craigslist
    http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Behringer_A500_Studio_Reference_Amplifier/BEH-A500

Some folks have taken to modding it, to improve it further, but that's not a realistic option for me. Pretty amazing for the price I thought. That's what got me thinking about the Emotiva line, ect.

18. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Check out the Denon 1520 or 2020 Int amps. I bought the 1510 4 years ago & impressed with build quality, sound quality , tone controls (there if you want them) , headphone amp & excellent phono stage . It can also be used as a Pre amp & power amp.

delmonaco likes this.
  19. Beetlebum

The Rega stuff looks good, but no dedicated amps apparently.

Sure wish I could get in one room with all these amplifier options and do a day or two of listening comparisons.

That's my idea of fun :>)

20. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident

Another vote for checking out the parasound A23

21. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Yes, be sure to have a listen to the Parasound Halo A23. This is frequently recommended as one of the best SS amps, and it should be both reliable and neutral. A used A21 might also be a possibility

Erik Tracy likes this.
  22. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

McIntosh MC2100? Okay, not a very serious recommendation but it will capture some of the tube warmth of your Jolida but have the deep bass you're looking for.

McLover likes this.
  23. Beetlebum

Hi dividebytube! Funny you should say that, one just popped up here locally for $750.

24. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Currently using an A23, have had a DNA-125 and 225, Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono, and the A300. I love the DNA house sound, and its input impedance is tube preamp friendly, but it does lean more toward the warm side and might end up being a bit too laid back with the 2Ce and Cary. Neither the Odyssey nor A300 connected emotionally for me (paired with VMPS speakers), but people do like them. My A23 is paired with the corresponding Halo JC2 and sounds fantastic as you would expect. Of course, synergy with your preamp in your system will only be known when you have the amp in place.
    John K.

25. Beetlebum

Wow, the preamp is 3-4X the cost of the amp. The halo JC2 must be something special.

Thanks for the run down. I bet I would still like the DNA, but as you say, the proof is in the hearing. I wonder if I could get a trial of the A23 somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.