Solid State Amp Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beetlebum, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Apologies here also for the non-audio tangent. I had the privilege to drive a 68 Caddy DeVille convertible and later a 1972, my employer's cars. (I was still a kid 20 yrs old and drove a '69 GTO) These Caddys had 472 ci engines (think they were 472's but maybe 512's) But certain they were Cadillac engines. The smoothness of these engines were comparable to an electric powered car, almost no sound, and no vibration. The drive shafts were special design too with constant velocity U joints. No one could convince me that a new Caddy with a Z-06 engine would have this same Cadillac signature smoothness. Nice to have the performance, but Cadillac used to be all about luxury and performance. The performance was more in line with high torque, instant throttle response, and so smooth and wonderful to drive. The homologous manufacture of cars and audio only serve to save on manufacture cost, and retail cost, while maintaining a high quality standard. However the product loses its identity. There may be a lack of something extra that makes the product unique in some way, a quality that the competitor's product does not possess.

I certainly do not object to a Z-06 powered Cadillac, but it's not a Cadillac.

toddrhodes likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Cary is generally better known for its tube amps ...

3. Roger C

Roger C Near Kalamazoo Michigan

I love my Odyssey Status power amp. I bought used, but it can be serviced and up-graded easily. I have had no issues with it, and think it responses to whatever signal it is sent.

4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

If you are still considering an Esoteric I recommend a mid level Esoteric SACD/Cd player to keep the cost down. They can be purchased used too. It was the first CD player that I can listen to without fatigue.

5. Looking for a new amp and to be honest I'm thinking about this. But mainly because I finally found a set up I like to tame my Yamaha A/V receiver and I don't trust trying a different company to fudge my sonic synergy.

6. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

The SLP 88 is a line stage that has a pretty warm sound. A solid state amp is probably a good idea, depending what musical presentation you like. I think all the ones you listed are probably pretty good, but would add Pass Labs X-150, or Bryston 3B ST as good solid state amps to consider.

7. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Monarchy amps are also great bang for the buck.

8. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I have a Parasound 2205. Sorry for the late response.

9. coopmv

Parasound has a good reputation. It is generally available via mail order ...

10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I've had a PSAudio Amp (DCA 100) running for over a decade with no complaints to register.

11. coopmv

Yeah, the latest PSAudio BHK Signature amp is very impressive ...

[​IMG]

33na3rd and Guitarded like this.
  12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

>> PSAudio BHK Signature amp is very impressive ...

I'd love to get a chance to audition one of those.

I can also add that PSAudio Customer Service is a pleasure to deal with. I sent my amp in to them this Spring for a once-over and cleaning. They couldn't have been nicer or more responsive. Great brand.

13. coopmv

At $7500, this amp is actually reasonably priced compared with other amps in its class ...

BTW, I visited Missoula and Helena with my wife some twenty years ago and enjoyed going at 90 MPH without getting busted for speeding.

14. coopmv

BTW, this BHK 250 appears to be a hybrid ...

[​IMG]

15. coopmv

Is this company still around?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.