Solo Beatles single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

16 years. Coincidence?

Binni, Hep Alien and pablo fanques like this.
  2. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I liked Milk and Honey at the time, more than Double Fantasy. But to release that many singles from it seemed way overkill and kind of silly. Since they were already on the album, the best thing about the singles were the awesome picture sleeves!

blutiga likes this.
  3. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Still - - yikes. Even if she wasn't 16, she's made to appear to be.

Who would have imagined watching this back then that the man would outlive the girl?

blutiga likes this.
  4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

It was revealed recently that Carrie had an affair with Harrison Ford when Carrie was 19 and Harrison was 34.

However I think I am going ridiculously off topic. :sigh:

5. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Gawd it's not very edifying thinking is it. There is definitely a cut off point between normal and creepy or sad. Ever see that Charles Bronson/Susan George movie from Swinging London in the Sixties called Twinky. Yikes!!!

6. Haristar

Paul McCartney - "No More Lonely Nights" (1984)

[​IMG]
    B-side: No More Lonely Nights (Playout Version)
    Released: September 24 1984
    Charts: #2 (UK), #6 (US)

"No More Lonely Nights" is a song written and performed by Paul McCartney,[1] which was first released in September 24, 1984. It can be heard on the soundtrack, Give My Regards to Broad Street.

Two versions of the single on both 7" & 12" as well as a 12" picture disc were issued in both the UK and U.S. The first 7" version featured "No More Lonely Nights" backed with the playout version. The second featured the Arthur Baker Dance Mix as the B-side.

The single reached #6 in the U.S. and #2 in the UK.[2][3] In 1987, it was included in McCartney's double album compilation, All the Best!.

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

The interesting thing was that the US singles were a little different than the UK ones, and I think the UK sleeves are much less appealing. The US designs were basic, keeping the same style (and font?) as the Double Fantasy singles. The UK designs just look kinda goofy to me - very dated looking. Compare and contrast, in case people are unfamiliar with them.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hep Alien, applebonkerz and Haristar like this.
  8. mrjinks

My biggest memory of this was hearing the song in a TV ad for the movie, and this was several months before the film came out. I remember being in a hotel room, traveling with my dad - my guess would be circa August '84 - and seeing the ad, which prominently featured the title hook of the song. It was the only tv ad I ever saw for the film, which came out much later (Nov/Dec?), but I could hum that bit for months and knew the single would be big...

Hep Alien, Zeki and Haristar like this.
  9. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I love the demo quality of "I'm Stepping Out." I think they did a good job putting that one together. It's maybe not as good as "Nobody Told Me" but I still really like it. It's humorous.

I'm not sure I ever knew another McCartney fan who didn't like "No More Lonely Nights." But I'm certainly one of them. In retrospect it's better than a few things that came later... but it feels to me like giving up and trying too hard at the same time. It just seems uninspired to me. I don't know. And I really don't like the guitar solo stuff with all the chorus effect on it (sorry David).

But then there is the better version that starts with "We've got the tapes!" Just kidding. That version is a nightmare. OOOF!!!

10. Haristar

I love "No More Lonely Nights".

A lyrical theme that is reminiscent of "For No One" (We've only got each other to blame, it's all the same to me love), and I love the understated but fitting guitar parts by David Gilmour and bass line.

11. mrjinks

How about a 48 year old singing "good morning little school girl, can I come home with you ... I once was a school boy too".
    :nyah:

Frank likes this.
  12. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

No More Lonely Nights is a terrific comeback for Paul. The album it comes from however...

mrjinks, Johnny Reb and Haristar like this.
  13. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I absolutely love No More Lonely Nights, both versions!

I appreciate how McCartney can take the same song and make them sound totally different, and so good!

One for the lovers, and one for the dance floor. They both also show McCartney's singing ability, one nice and smooth, the other more aggressive and soulful!

I think they're both great!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Worst/best video EVER...

...the hideous knitwear is magical.

15. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I'm a fan of both versions of the song. The ballad is very traditional Macca (which I like) and the Playout version reminds me of Goodnight Tonight in the way it takes a an old-fashioned tune and applies a dance style to it (which I also like). Really enjoyable tracks and the only two on the album that I return to (semi)-regularly.

Broad Street. I saw it at the cinema at the time of release and even though I was only 13 at the time I still felt flat about it. Macca was all over the media at the time, though. There was a ton of promotion for the BS* movie and the single's video was shown a lot (not the Playout Version, I only saw that for the first time last year). There was even a video game for the ZX Spectrum (my weapon of choice at the time) which was rubbish. Looking back it's weird how much promo the project actually had as the movie, game, album and book are all mediocre at best. Maybe it was Paul's then status coming after TOW/POP that gave him the clout to have the project supported and maybe it's the project's relative failure caused the lack of promo for P2P.

* o_O

16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm surprised at this because you're usually pretty tough on Paul .
    More than once I've seen you forget an exclamation point. ;)

WilliamWes, Frank and mrjinks like this.
  17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I can certainly add this video to my imaginary list of video's I never need to see again.

Frank and mrjinks like this.
  18. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

One of my favorite Macca songs, great piece of work

Hep Alien and Haristar like this.
  19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

IMO Gilmour's solos make the song- kicks "No More Lonely Nights" up a notch beyond being just yet another McCartney piano ballad.

I don't understand why McCartney doesn't perform "No More Lonely Nights" live. Even as this late date, he could probably still do a good job of it.

20. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

No More Lonely Nights is yet another big boring song from Paul, only saved by the guitar solo (ballad). :yawn:

The playout version is just plain awful instead of being boring. I'd rather be bored than sit through that one.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  21. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

I thought it a good track, albeit a little overblown. But hey, this was the 80's - this is how many major artistes records were supposed to sound in 1984, so it seems futile to criticise on that level. I think it's a really strong song and Paul is in fine voice.

I remember looking forward to the Broad Street film (admittedly, with some trepidation) and so this promo film served as some kind of trailer. There seemed to be some interesting clips and I was particularly intrigued as the song lifts into Dave Gilmour's end guitar solo and we see the great Sir Ralph Richardson open the door to Paul. Dialogue follows: "The box!" "The big blue one?" It all seemed mysterious, a little abstract and my hopes were raised that this upcoming film could actually be pretty decent...

Wrong! :shake:

22. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

No More Lonely Nights is a favorite for sure. A pretty epic song if you ask me, with help from David Gilmour of course. The playout version is okay, better if taken in short doses, which is why the shortest edit commercially available is my favorite. :)

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Never knew that but doesn't surprise me - age difference doesn't matter

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

No More Lonely Nights is a good one, one of Paul's better 80's singles

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Great song. The playout version is appalling though. And I think Gilmour's over the top guitar detracts on the ballad version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.