Solo Beatles single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

I liked I Want To Come Home.

I personally thought it one of his better recent ballads - preferable (for me) to the two ballads he chose to close 'Chaos and Creation' with.

Haristar likes this.
  2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I Want To Come Home doesn't even come close to the excellence of This Never Happened Before and Anyway!

3. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

I find the opening lyrics of 'This Never Happened Before' to be unfortunately some of Paul's most toe-curling and 'Anyway' a rewrite of Curtis Mayfield's 'People Get Ready' so no, it's 'I Want To Come Home,' for me.

mrjinks likes this.
  4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I respectfully disagree with you completely. It isn't a classic, but it's a lovely, quirky little thing.

theMess, Tord, mrjinks and 1 other person like this.
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

That's the beautiful thing about McCartney's music, there's something for everyone!

lavalamp3 likes this.
  6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Paul McCartney - "My Valentine" (2011)

[​IMG]
    Released: December 20, 2011
    Charts: #20 (Billboard Adult Contemporary), #27 (Billboard Jazz Digital), #23 (Billboard Rock Digital)

McCartney performed "My Valentine" live at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards in 2012 with Diana Krall and Joe Walsh of the Eagles[nb 6] The single climbed to number 20 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart[22] after its debut at number 28. "My Valentine" also reached number 23 on the Japan Hot 100,[23] number 27 on the Billboard Jazz Digital Songs chart,[24] and number 23 on the Billboard Rock Digital Songs chart.[25]

LarsO and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  7. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

My Valentine:

Classic McCartney, a song worthy of his reputation and capable of standing among the company of his finest ballads from any era. Beautiful.

8. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Another amazing song, this marks the first time I seriously kept up with a new McCartney release.

9. Paul H

Yes. I feel for McCartney. My Valentine is up there among the best ballads he's ever written and is pretty much unheard and unremarked upon by those who aren't hardcore fans.

It was also the opening song on my wedding mix CD.

theMess, Bemagnus, mrjinks and 4 others like this.
  10. Haristar

Yes I agree, this is classic McCartney. This song makes good use of Paul's matured vocals.

11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Not true!

McCartney performed My Valentine live in front of large audiences, so plenty of people heard it! Not to mention how many saw and heard the video.

I totally agree, this is without a doubt a bonafide McCartney classic!

12. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I usually dump on just about any slow McCartney ballad, but My Valentine works pretty well. That doesn't mean it's a track I will ever seek out specifically to listen to, or add into my Spotify catalog of songs--because I won't. But it does mean I probably won't immediately switch it off if by some chance it comes on something within my earshot.

How's that for a backhanded compliment. :shh:

Frank and Paul H like this.
  13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Agree with @applebonkerz on this one. I don't mind it per se, but it's so far removed from any type of music that I would ever have any interest in listening to for pleasure that I certainly would never seek it out.

Also, the verse melody sounds very familiar, but I'm not studied enough in songs of the era that it tries to emulate to know which song it's borrowed from.

applebonkerz likes this.
  14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I really like Valentine and would love to hear his version of the track he gave to Diana Krall from those sessions - that's another winner, while I find the other new original on Kisses to be completely unremarkable...

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Indeed, he played "My Valentine" at the show we saw. It fit in nicely alongside the other piano biggies like "The Long And Winding Road" and "Maybe I'm Amazed".

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

:):)My Valentine is-imo-one of the finest McCartney songs over the last decades. In a better world it would have been recorded by sone of the stars of today and being regarded as a modern standard. Just like what s happened to Dylans Make me feel your love.
    Valentine has a simple but very attractive melody and a great arrangement. Also a song that s working very well in a live-setting.
    McCartney the melodicist at his finest.
    Since I'm a big fan of the great American songbook and Frank Sinatra in particular I have easy to connect with this kind of music. So for me My Valentine really works wonders

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    theMess, gja586, Paul H and 1 other person like this.
  17. Paul H

My point is that it isn't anywhere near as well known as, say, Here, There and Everywhere or The Long and Winding Road but is, in my opinion, just as good as either.

theMess likes this.
  18. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

That is so cool. A great way would be to start at the beginning, and move forward with each single and album. That way, you get an idea of the progression of the music, and if you read the history at the same time, it's even more enjoyable. Many would not have the patience for that, but the rewards are great, and it appears you have youth on your side. Find yourself a good discography of the solo work, "Eight Arms To Hold You", by Chip Madinger and Mark Easter, is a terrific way to know the release dates and background of the releases. Beginning with the How I Won The War single, by Musketeer Gripweed, to Wonderwall Music by George Harrison, Two Virgins by John and Yoko and keep going. But that's just me. Delve into their work at random, and you'll find timeless, terrific sounds as well.

theMess, mrjinks and Rob9874 like this.
  19. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I'm with you, except about the other original from Kisses, I believe Only Our Hearts is a way better song than My Valentine(and I LOVE that song) and has more of a feel of the era IMHO.

I think it's one of the greatest album closers ever by Paul

theMess likes this.
  20. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Yet another boring ballad by Paul, but hey, he's still alive, and we won't have them around forever.

21. Haristar

Ringo Starr - "Wings" (2012)

[​IMG]
    Released: January 10, 2012
    Charts: DNC

"Wings" is a song by Ringo Starr, originally recorded for and released as a single from the album Ringo the 4th. It was co-written with Vini Poncia in 1977. Starr later re-recorded it, produced by Starr and Bruce Sugar, and released it as a single from his 2012 studio album, Ringo 2012.

In a review for Ultimate Classic Rock, Billy Dukes calls the re-make "less passionate, border-line lifeless vocal performance" when compared to the original.[7]

22. Haristar

The original was hardly spectacular so I don't see how a remake was going to particularly improve it. But it's not bad.

23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Ringo's had kind of a bizarre fascination with remaking tracks over the last couple years. Why "Step Lightly"? Why "Everyone Wins"? Why "Wings"?

Will the forthcoming album feature "Dead Giveaway" or something?

Calico, theMess and Haristar like this.
  24. Haristar

I believe it began with Back Off Boogaloo in 1981:

It also marks the beginning of Ringo shoehorning Beatles lyrics in his songs (courtesy of Harry Nilsson).

EDIT: He's also remade Act Naturally, Love Me Do, I Call Your Name and Christmas Time (Is Here Again). Any others?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    theMess likes this.
  25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

My Valentine doesn't make me think of so called standards music from the 40's and 50s.

It just sounds like another fantastic McCartney ballad to me.

Tord and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.