Solo Beatles single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Senior Member

o_O Uh, because commenting on such things is what we do here. Should I not notice these things, or is it simply that I'm not permitted to disagree with them?

2. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

My not understanding your objection prohibiting you from stating it.

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

And now that the actual single by single discussion is just about played out, the bitching and backbiting begins...jeez, you guys...:shake:

4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Frank likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

"CD" for short ... ;)

7. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Kanye West ft. Paul McCartney - "All Day" (2015)

[​IMG]
    Released: March 3, 2015
    Charts: #18 (UK), #15 (US)

The track originally leaked in August 2014,[2] but Kanye continued to work on the track on and off until March 2015. The track was debuted live at the 2015 Brit Awards on February 26, 2015. Rolling Stone provided the first official stream of the track.[3]

The song contains a sample of what has been confirmed by a representative of West as a re-recording of a song Paul McCartney wrote in 1969 that was inspired by a Pablo Picasso painting of a guitarist, which is supposedly titled: "Two Fingers & Whistling" or "When the Wind Is Blowing".[3][4] The track was produced by upcoming producer Velous, who made the skeleton of the instrumental on a friend's couch while watching Saturday Night Live. During an interview with MTV, he also said of French Montana’s involvement on the song: "...although French isn’t your typical “producer”, the ideas he brought to Kanye for the beat were worthy of co-production..." "All Day" featured McCartney's acoustic guitar playing, whistling and singing of the last verse. This song was the third McCartney/West collaboration to be commercially released.

8. Haristar

This is currently the final single by a solo Beatle. It's a shame we couldn't have ended on a song that involves a Beatle more in depth, but it is what it is.

Thanks to the people who have stuck with this thread. It's prompted some interesting discussion and analysis on some big hits, as well as on some singles that don't usually get a lot of attention such as "Love Comes to Everyone".

9. Frank

Frank Senior Member

And...the thread ends on a terrible embarrassment of a song that we'd be banned for life from this forum for posting the lyrics of.

Man, that was fun. Thanks for shepherding us through this thread so expertly, @Haristar

blutiga, Johnny Reb, linclink and 3 others like this.
  10. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I like the ending to All Day, the studio version because of the Paul vocals, but other than that :shrug:

Let's hope the next Paul single will arrive soon, and keep this thread going. Thanks Haristar :righton:

11. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Maybe I'm turning into my father, but I just don't get the appeal of Kanye West.

Of course, I couldn't tell good rap from bad rap if both were played side by side, so who am I to say?

12. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Well done Haristar. I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

It's been wonderful to revisit the solo Beatles singles catalogue again and to see them reappraised and reassessed in context of how they first appeared to us all.
    What an amazing journey it was? Granted, there was certainly some 'rocky road' along the way, but nevertheless, a fascinating array of musical styles and erratic genius that serve as an almighty coda to the relatively short time they actually recorded together. Many a classic song along the way of course, interspersed with many more that are now largely forgotten by the general public.

I must confess my own interest finally started to wane on the final furlong. Personally, I cannot acknowledge the robotic, tuneless Kanye West collaborations as 'solo Beatles' singles (although "Four Five Seconds" was ok) and Ringo's Postcards From Paradise was so auto tuned, the lyrics so banal, that for me, the very qualities that made me adore those four guys music in the first place had of late, seemed long gone.

No matter. If I never enjoy another 'solo Beatles' record ever again, I couldn't complain. They've given me so much pleasure through the years it's immeasurable (and some would probably say, quite ridiculous).

But you know, I've a feeling the road ahead still has some unknown delights in store for us all.

blutiga, mrjinks, Cheevyjames and 2 others like this.
  13. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

Thanks again Haristar. It's been a fantastic thread. Now if you are so inclined, I think a Rolling Stones singles thread could be your next big project. :D

14. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Just a brief point about McCartney's involvement in All Day. His presence, of course, is most obvious in the coda but the noisesome riff that runs throughout the song is a manipulation of the same McCartney melody he whistles at the end.

theMess likes this.
  15. Haristar

Next up is a Yoko Ono singles thread. ;)

I would love to do another singles thread, but I'm not quite as well versed in the world of the Rolling Stones so I'm not sure I'd do it justice. Now David Bowie, that I would be interested in.

16. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Haristar it was great and I'm sorry I couldn't keep up my posting. I haven't posted much anywhere but this is probably my most enjoyable album thread I've read- thanks again! You did a great job of organization and staying consistent.

I guess my general opinions since I left which was around the mid-80's on this thread was that George had all good singles the rest of the way, Ringo had a couple of nice ones tucked into plenty of mediocre ones and Paul stayed way more consistent than he used to be but couldn't peak as high as he did in the 70's on the chart and critically. I really love their solo output and think it gets too overshadowed by the Beatles as a band. I wince when I hear that they aren't individual talents and that they needed each other or it wasn't good. This isn't a bunch of no-talent guys-these were the Beatles and they were the same exact people when they went solo- big time talents that created the biggest thing ever...went solo and had more big successful careers. All four of their careers were successful compared to your average artist.

17. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Thanks for this thread! I enjoyed it.

Johnny Reb, theMess and Haristar like this.
  18. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I didn't know much of their solo output, aside from George. Most of the Paul and Ringo songs I either wasn't familiar with, or didn't realize that I knew them. Great thread, @Haristar! It was a lot of fun.

19. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

It was indeed a fun ride. Thanks for keeping it alive, Haristar. So many threads like this get started and just fizzle out.

blutiga, mrjinks, Johnny Reb and 2 others like this.
  20. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

Kudos, Haristar. Been a long and fun journey, I still remember reading this thread when there was only 7 pages and there was discussion on if Paul was really on "Give Peace a Chance"! :p

21. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Enjoyed this and learned a lot! I guess another single might be happening soon?

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Hopefully. Paul seems set to release another album this year, and Ringo is working on one as well. We know that Paul will appear on Ringo's, and it seems that Ringo will be on Paul's.

23. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Nevermind the legacy-schmegacy. Make it a new Beatles album!

:unhunh:

24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Ha! It would certainly get them a lot of press (although not necessarily good press :D).

LarsO likes this.
  25. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Missed the last month of this thread. Thank you Haristar!!!! This thread was always something to look forward to. As soon as I get my turntable back from service I'm going to play my UK 45 of Snookeroo/Ooo Wee :)

Haristar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.