some great recent vinyl scoops (Hendrix, DP and more...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChrisM, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler Thread Starter

I've been having some pretty good luck in my vinyl hunts of late. Today I got a copy of the original "puppet" cover version of Jimi Hendrix "Band of Gypsys". It's a stone mint(!!!) Australian pressing (Polydor 2406 002) that looks like it's never been played. The cover is absolutely mint, as well. At $35.00Cdn (about $25.00US), I thought it was a pretty good deal. Can anybody refresh my memory about the story behind this cover?

Also picked up an original UK Purple Records pressing of Deep Purple's "Made in Japan". I bought a copy of this when it first was released but (for some odd reason) got rid of it in a vinyl purge about 20 years ago.

Found a UK Island pressing of Traffic "Welcome to the Canteen", too. I always liked that album. I was disappointed that the recent CD reissue was not expanded.

In the Hendrix department, I also got a German Polydor pressing of "Isle of Wight" which also appears unplayed and sounds swell. At the same time, I also got a mint German copy of "Are You Experienced" with the original European cover (black background). Luckily, I mainly wanted it for the cover because this issue was the 1987 digital remaster. It sounds sooooooo grainy. Ugh! :realmad: Very nice cover, though.

In the Pink Floyd related department, I got a near mint copy of the 2 LP Harvest edition of the two Syd Barrett albums. Very nice sound on this set.

A few other goodies, as well... but my fingers are getting tired! ;)

Cheers,
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.