Some of my 16 year old son's playlist.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Born in 2002.
    16 in 2018.

Some of his Google Playlist tracks include
    The Beatles
    I'll Be Back,
    Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Strawberry Fields Forever,
    I Want To Hold Your Hand

The Beach Boys
    Good Vibrations

AC/DC
    Back In Black

2Pac
    Can't C Me

Eurythmics
    Sweet Dreams

KISS
    I Was Made For Lovin' You

2. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

To guilt you out?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

My daughter (who is mid 30s) texted me this morning to tell me she was jammin' out on the Beatles channel on Sirius/XM. She loves 60s/70s music.

4. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

could be one of those le-wrong-generation phases

5. Price.pittsburgh

No just not as narrow minded as many.

IronWaffle, crispi, kiddo4 and 6 others like this.
  6. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

I have a 16 year-old son too. He's very much into the 80's songs:
    Tears for Fears
    Men at Work
    He loves the "one hit wonder" songs like "Take on Me" and "Hold Me Now" and "Don't Dream it's Over".
    He likes Michael Jackson a lot.
    He likes the Beatles but prefers solo McCartney, especially "Band on the Run" (the song), and "Live and Let Die".
    He knows all the current music, but he's more likely to listen to TOTO than Ed Sheeran.

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Kids have decades of popular music to choose from, and there's no financial limit on what they can listen to.

I've met plenty of kids from high schoolers to millennials who have insanely deep playlists ranging from the new pop and hiphop most of us aren't into down to 60s and even 50s music and everything in between. They're a lot more open minded than old people give them credit.

dan c

8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Good post Dan. Music used to be sort of in the stores, then it would go away. Now there is access to any song, any time, at basically no charge. Think of all the money we'd have now if he had that opportunity;)

9. The Beatles and Michael Jackson! Best pop music of all time IMO.
    Also great to see a kid listening to those "one hit wonders" although Crowded House have some really great albums aswell.

These youngsters cheer me right up. :)

10. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Strange boy. Imagine how out of time you would feel if you were listening predominantly to 1920s jazz when Beatlemania took over the world in 1964. Rock and roll was youth music; “timeless” and “classic” was for the squares.

11. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

Narrow minded, how so? taking refuge in a consensus by mirroring your own opinions on subjective issues with your parent's or clique's or the local record store music snob's? Or how about every youtube comment section of music pre 90's, "I'm only XX years old and I listen to this, not todays popular crap!" Lol

"I listen to real music, not that noise the kids listen to today" does that ring any bells from when you were young?

12. Price.pittsburgh

Also Oh Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison.

action pact and RSteven like this.
  13. Price.pittsburgh

And for all those comments how many views are actually that age group of the few commenting?

14. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

Well of course it would be suprising if the majority of those viewers would be of a young generation than the living generation of when the music was most popular, as would be if the music of a younger generation had a fan base with the majority of an older genertion.

What's not cool is for you to imply that if your son was listening to popular music of his own generation then he'd be "narrow minded", as far as I see he could just be a kid who is unsure of his own mind and subconciously doesn't want to disappoint his oppinionated father with a taste in music he may belittle as "today's crap" or whatever.

What's important is that he listens to what he genuinly, deep down wants to listen to and that those subjective opinions arn't stifeld by other peoples opinions such as your implication.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  15. Price.pittsburgh

I never implied that he doesn't listen to modern music.
    He does.
    The songs I listed represent a small minority of his playlist and that's why I said "some".
    There are plenty of artists he knows I like and he hasn't yet attempted to look into them.
    With the exception of The Beatles he hasn't added more than one song per artist that is prior to his generation.
    I said he's not narrow minded because he's attempted to explore a few older tracks.
    I never cared much for Sweet Dreams or Oh Pretty Woman (which I forgot to list on the OP) yet he has those two and I don't ever talk about The Beach Boys.
    He's aware I like The Beatles, KISS, 2Pac and AC/DC but again with the exception of The Beatles songs I'll Be Back, Strawberry Fields and Lucy he doesn't know my top Beatles tracks.
    I was surprised he took so strongly to the very dated I Want To Hold Your Hand which we've never discussed and any KISS he's heard from me sure as heck wasn't I Was Made For Lovin' You.

RSteven likes this.
  16. Price.pittsburgh

I missed Beatlemania.
    I'm 1970 buy but in 1986 at 16 I was listening to Elvis and The Beatles as well as Mtv artist and by my early 20s in 1991 Frank Sinatra.

ashiya likes this.
  17. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Haha, this is true! I had never thought of it this way but it is weird indeed.
    But it does happen in the real world, when I was 12 I listened to Justin Bieber’s Baby and then Janis Joplin’s Ball and Chain haha.

lightbulb likes this.
  18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

IMHO, that’s a good sprinkling of songs!
    You mention “some”....
    So, is that basically 1% to 3% of the songs he plays?

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

20. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I remember those days...

21. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You know people are still listening to Mozart. It really shouldn't surprise anybody that people are drawn to good music created before their time. I listen to Jazz from the 50s. That was well over 60 years ago. It predates me by a generation as well.

22. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I was in a store today where the younger employees pretty much play whatever they're into. The first song I heard when I walked in the door was Ronnie and the Daytonas "Little GTO". I was thinking, "Man, I bought that single when it first came out and I was 13. How cool that they even know this stuff!"

23. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I still have one of those!

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  24. But did you think; "what a strange boy" lol.

Brian Lux likes this.
  25. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

"Here's a list of songs someone listens to."

Fascinating.

saborlord123, PADYBU, manco and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.