Some of my 16 year old son's playlist.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Context pal, there's a context.

2. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I really wish my 15 year old daughter was that way. Unless it is connected to a meme somehow, she couldn’t care less about music. It’s depressing.

saborlord123 and Grant like this.
  3. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

My brother is the same age (born February 2002)

He listens to a lot of Tupac and classic Reggae like Bob Marley, Buju Banton and Peter Tosh.

Listens to lots of modern rap too but more so the 'concious' kind, rappers like Joey BadA$$, Raury, Kendrick Lamar and J Cole are his favorites.

I wish he would diversify his playlist a little though, he doesn't listen to any women artists at all. Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, he all finds very annoying and overrated. Drake and Ed Sheeran too.

He's one of those people who hates whatever is on the radio/charts lol.

4. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Kids should be listening to their own generation’s scenes. I mean a little old classics here and there, but to think of their missing on the live young passionate energy at shows. Anyways, we can’t be facing backwards all the time. Or, if retro sounds and compositions are their compass, then look to the contemporaries advancing that: King Gizzard, Foxygen, Ariel Pink, etc.

YMC4, Geee! and ianuaditis like this.
  5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

disagree. listen to whatever the hell ya want to. and why should they be listening to someone mimic or do their take on a sound from the 60's when they have access to the real thing. Good point bout the concerts but you cant force it something doesn't appeal to you

6. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I went through high school in the 90s but thought the best bands were The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Doors and Pink Floyd.I still listened to and liked new stuff like Nirvana, Akice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc. There is just something about that period int the60s that will never be repeated musically.

saborlord123, mschrist, Grant and 5 others like this.
  7. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

My 21 yo daughter has the following in her playlist

The Kinks
    The Beatles
    Talking Heads
    Green Day
    Buddy Holly
    Pink Floyd
    Plus some modern music that I have no idea who they are.

So for the most part my music rub off on her. hee hee

KeninDC and Brian Lux like this.
  8. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

Think that probably only happened until the end of the 60s to be fair. By the early 70s "revivals" became normal and you'd get subcultures forming around rock'n'roll, 60s soul, and later on, mod, ska, 60s psychedelia etc.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  9. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Advancing. King Gizzard and Foxygen do stuff they didn’t do in the 60s. We not talking Greta Van Fleet. Sure, listen to what you want. But, I think that when you’re 16-24, it’s more fun to be in the middle of a cool scene. At some point, the uber reverence for the 60s and 70s becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - when young people say the best music possible has been made already. It’s like not try your hand at surmounting the greats - I don’t see that endeavor from the young folk and rock fans - except for towards a handful such as Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, Angel Olsen, etc. The world is ripe for a folk, rock, and jazz music Age of Enlightenment. The biggest difference between the 60s and 70s and now in my opinion isn’t the caliber of artists, it’s the caliber of music fan. Actually, it’s probably both calibers are deficient so far, but we’re going to try. “Venice Bitch” was very promising today.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    KeninDC and the pope ondine like this.
  10. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

LOL, well, maybe a little, haha! I was really shy and had these weird little ways of being clandestinely cool- like having a few 45's that no one else I knew was into or wearing socks with racing stripes across the toes which no one but me could see- only when I took my sneakers off.

Yeah, I was a bit of a strange kid. But who isn't at that age?!

Willie McTell likes this.
  11. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I think that's true more so these last few generations as compared to 50's, 60's, 70's kids. I mean, I don't think many of my fellow baby boomers were much into Lawrence Welk, Perry Como, or (other than "White Christmas") Bing Crosby, etc.

applejam101 likes this.
  12. I used to wear track pants tucked into big football socks and sneakers, big baggy t-shirts with an open flannel shirt lol. I didn't realise this was slightly strange dress until a few friends that I hung out with called me out on it lol. A few of them copied my look too.

Then as I grew up I became all too familiar with other people's judgments. Adults are worse than kids though. Most adults judge everything. Avoid adults at all costs lol. Stay young! :)

Brian Lux likes this.
  13. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

My 8-year old's fave at the moment is Kanye's "Love Lockdown" from '808s & Heartbreak'.
    It's the only Kanye song he'll listen to and he doesn't enjoy anything else on the album.
    Go figure!

Actually, I love it too...... :agree:

SoundDoctor and Willie McTell like this.
  14. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Just because a kid is listening to older music doesn’t mean he’s one of those. I’ve been listening to older stuff since I was 11. I’m 16 now. I have no wish to actually live at the time

SoundDoctor likes this.
  15. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Can't reach your own back?

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

One of my daughter's friends is obsessed with Sinatra! Personally, I was never a fan of any of the crooners, but, too each her own.

Dan C likes this.
  17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Except that phones are getting to be that big!

18. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

FYI
    Aha we’re not even close to being a 1 hit wonder band.
    They are still selling out stadiums all over Europe,and had a huge amount of success all over the world,and had many many chart hits outside of Take on me.
    Your son has great taste in music btw.

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Maybe not as strange as you think. The music on that kid's playlist was mostly created by young people for young people. Why should we be surprised that young people continue to enjoy it?

mschrist likes this.
  20. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Actually just re read it. Hold me now. Thompson Twins another band that had 3 huge albums,and tons of hit singles,both before and after Hold Me Now, Don’t Dream it’s over Crowded House, had massive massive worldwide success and many many many huge hit singles.
    Not trying to contradict what is a good post, but those examples are not one hit wonder bands.

21. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Not really - when I was 16 I was exploring entire albums from various 70s artists, the point is being young and having access to the Internet doesn't mean all you listen to is the radio.

22. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

My 10 year old nephew likes some 60s stuff like the beach boys and 80s stuff like the power station plus a lot of newer stuff like cardi b and drake... but he really likes smash mouth and the barenaked ladies for some odd reason?

23. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Ahh, Smash Mouth suffers from “Africa by Toto” effect. A meme band (“All Star”).

24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Son

Todd R
    Yes
    Beatles
    Zeppelin
    King Crimson
    Laura Nyro
    Genesis
    Pink Floyd
    Wilco
    Flaming lips
    The Who

Lots of classical

sekaer likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ya damn skippy...

We housed young high-schooler for several months a few years ago; he was adopted, and for reasons we don't need to get into, he "needed to get out of that house" for awhile.

Since I was constantly dashing into my office to work on music, he naturally got interested in what I was doing. Occasionally he expressed interest in a lot of his favorites. Primarily, '80s Pop. :wtf:

Young black kid, Junior in High School...likes, Journey? Men At Work? Laura Brannigan?!? Now I realised the "true strife issue" in his home....his dad was influencing his taste in music! :yikes:

Eventually he encouraged me to ditch the CD's in the car, and put a radio station on once in awhile. Opened me up to a lot of current artists I wasn't aware of,* a little more cutting-edge than the stuff I was playing on the Adult Contrmporary station I was working at...but, slowly it caught up to the kids' taste.

I am so glad I never had children; I would have messed them up so bad for relating to their peers once the music came out...

(*not that I held much value for most of them, but at least I got familiar with them in time to sound like I knew what I was talking about on-air, so, I'm grateful.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.