Some OJC (and other Concord CDs) are being re-pressed as CD-Rs. List them here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maggie, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You should insist they refund, without the need to return it, because the item was unsatisfactory and clearly not what you ordered, wanted or expected. They cannot impose a return date deadline for an item you paid for but never received! You ordered a CD and are still waiting for a CD to be delivered! They should apologise to you, give you a full refund and tell you to keep or despose of the nasty CD-r.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Maggie likes this.
  2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Already creeping in, and their increase in that market is inevitable.

Campbell Saddler and DTK like this.
  3. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Sad to report adding another one to this list. :sigh: I bought this from Amoeba.com. advertised on the site as new. Price was $13.98. I could have ordered a used one on Discogs but I figured I'd just go for a brand new one. Sure enough when it arrived in the mail, it was shiny and "factory" shrink wrapped. No ID sticker along the top of the case. The artwork looks decent in this photo, but when you're holding it up close, it has that fuzzy look to me particularly the text on the inside. Bummer. This is my first CD-R purchase. :thumbsdow

[​IMG]

I tried getting a clear photo of the pseudo matrix number. This looks exactly like the number code printed on any random CD-R.
    [​IMG]

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No.

CDRs are annoying, but Amazon filled your order in good faith with product stuffed m sourced from legitimate channels. They should accept a return through their normal generous return system, provided you apply in time, but you should not expect them to let you keep it.

5. Of course CD-Rs are annoying, but secretly packaged CD-Rs are the real issue here, especially as all customers place their orders for genuine and authentic CDs in good faith (unless they have requested Manufactured on demand disc).

All CD-Rs I have been sent are listed in this thread. I got full refunds for every one AND got to keep the disc that I never ordered in the first instance because the item/CD-R was as far as I am concerned, of unsatisfactory standard and not a genuine CD as advertised.

Amazon have no desire to disappoint customers, and asking them to return something they never ordered just adds to the frustration of what should have been a hassle free transaction.

I always play any disc I receive from Amazon (CD-Rs included). That immediately makes the CD-R a used item. I have found Amazon are not in the least bit interested in paying return postage for a used CD-R.

Why do you think Amazon would want a copy of a used CD-R? To re-seal and then resell them?

Common sense and goodwill should always prevail when selling/buying (secretly packaged) CD-Rs. Letting the unsuspecting customer keep the sub-standard disc that they never ordered is in my experience the nearest thing to an acceptable outcome.

Amazon know who is supplying them with these sub standard and secretly packaged items, and it probably costs them next to nothing to write off any losses on ones that are queried. Amazon pride themselves on customer service and at least as far as I am concerned will do whatever it takes to keep their regular customers satisfied.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    melstapler likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Amazon pays the standard wholesale for every one of those discs. They can return them to the manufacturer for a refund.

If they choose not to require a return then so be it. But it costs them several dollars for the CD.

They do keep track of return rates for any reason and eventually will just turn off an account. That's how they handle stuff like this.

7. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I recently asked an Amazon agent about this and she didn't know what I was talking about. She said the only reason an account might be turned off is if a replacement was sent and the original wasn't returned when requested, or if payments weren't received. I return more than I'd like because of bad packaging. No fault of mine but I am quite particular about especially books arriving without crushed corners. I've never been happy with Amazon's packaging and complaining doesn't make any difference.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No matter what the CSR says (they typically are clueless about Amazon's policies regarding account status), I can assure you that Amazon can and does close accounts where the return rate is too high. It doesn't matter what the reason for the returns is. What, exactly, constitutes "too high" is a mystery. But it can and does happen.

patient_ot likes this.
  9. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Do exchanges count as returns?

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes. Anything that triggers a return (including an exchange) counts. But again, the formula they use is secret, and is likely complex (i.e. depends on number of purchases, number of returns, value of purchases vs returns, category, and probably a lot of other things).

Campbell Saddler and melstapler like this.
  11. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

All these CDRs are appalling!

I will not willingly pay for a CDR. A few years ago I ordered some CDs from Jessica Williams, the jazz pianist, at full price. Some of them were produced on her personal professional-level CD(R) printer using quality disks (she states this on her website). I consider Williams to be an honest person who did not have any intention to provide buyers with a questionable product but all these CDs faded after a few years and became unplayable.

Campbell Saddler and melstapler like this.
  12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

If an online marketplace or seller ships a CD-R without full disclosure of product specifications, I always demand a refund. If the seller or marketplace don't comply, you can always dispute the charge with your credit card company.

13. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Question: I have a later pressing of this Rounder CD:

[​IMG]

The matrix numbers on the CD do NOT match the catalog number of the item. Instead, it has a number starting with DIDX-1... (I forgot to write down the exact numbers in full), instead of a catalog #2039. It does have an IFPI number in the inner ring as well.

The original CD from the 1980s looks like this:
    [​IMG]

As my copy is a much more recent edition, I can understand if Rounder used new matrix numbers. BUT reading through this thread got me a bit worried.

So would anyone know if the CD that I have is legit. (I don't have the CD right now as I am traveling, so I don't have a photo of it --- But it looks legit and plays fine).

In related news, I just got Bob Dylan's new 2-CD set Trouble No More. The matrix numbers on this CD set also do NOT match the catalog # either, so this means that some CDs are released that can have a matrix number that is different from the catalog number. So that means the Gatemouth Brown CD on Rounder might also have this discrepancy and still be legit.

If anyone can chime in, thanks in advance.

15. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show Thread Starter

DIDX #s="CD's made by Digital Audio Disc Corporation USA (CD's with low DIDX codes, Arista and MCA Records CD's still Made in Japan)
    The DIDX code was used for all genres (Pop, Jazz, and Classical releases)" (discogs.org)

The CD you have is almost certainly legit. CDs with DIDX codes rarely also include the catalogue number on the disc itself. And anything with a lasered IFPI number is going to be legit as well.

16. Arnold Grove

Thank you.

Just to verify: So this is a FACTORY-PRESSED CD, and not a CD-R, correct?

17. Arnold Grove

In my case, almost all of the Rounder albums that I have are LPs. But I have 7 CDs on Rounder too. Six of them all had matrix #'s that matched the CD catalog #'s. But the Gatemouth Brown CD was the only one that did NOT match (and that one I definitely bought about 2 years ago, unlike the others which I bought way before the year 2000).

18. Maggie

Yes, if it has a DIDX code (or an IFPI code, or both) in the hub on the playing side, it is definitely factory-pressed.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Whew!!! Thanks for verifying.

I will sleep better tonight... ;)

Maggie likes this.
  20. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Wow, fifteen pages on and people are still complaining. You cannot force record companies to sell at a loss, they do enough of that on their own with cut outs. If you receive a CDR from a reputable company it just due to the economies of scale, the alternative is no CD at all, do you really want that to happen? Make a copy to CDR, DVDR or HDD if you are concerned about longevity.
    My Hi-Fi system CD player won't even play CDRs but am I complaining, no, because I have other players (in lesser systems) that will. Calm down and enjoy the music!

21. Bobby Buckshot

Once again, this thread covers issues dealing with unmarked CD-Rs sold to customers who think they are getting CDs. The customer has every right to complain if they were not advised beforehand that the copy was CD-R. More times than not, the customer would not have made the purchase if that was known.

It's great that you have no problem and advocate for "record companies." Kudos.

Jackie P, J.A.W., Carraway and 2 others like this.
  22. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I just think it's time for a reality check. CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays are all on the slippery slope to oblivion. Taking a truculent approach with retailers and record companies will just hasten it.
    Let's check back in five years and we'll see.

23. Bobby Buckshot

I'm not castigating anyone who sells a product as advertised. I see plenty of musical releases sold as CD-Rs, plainly marked. That's the seller's decision to make, and it's good they've marked the item as it is. There's people who buy them and that's their choice. No problems here, it's just not my market.

24. Maggie

Wow, fifteen pages on and you are still reading and posting!

Dziga, Jackie P, J.A.W. and 1 other person like this.
  25. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

You mean posts like this one?
    Jethro Tull "This Was" and Mr. Steven Wilson

Posted barely 40 minutes ago!

How about all your posts complaining about remasters, etc? How many times have you posted that you bought a second-hand copy of a CD instead of paying for a new one? That's different right?
    You were asked about this before and you conveniently ignored it, yet here you are once again.
    Stop trolling and calm down and enjoy the music, indeed.

Jackie P and J.A.W. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.