Something the critics panned

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Safeway 1, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" Thread Starter

But you liked. Rate it compared to the critics. Mine was Jeff Beck Group (the album)
    From Wiki:
    Jeff Beck Group was not well received by contemporary music critics.[6] OZ magazine's Charles Shaar Murray gave it a negative review,[9] while Billy Walker of Sounds found it inferior to Rough and Ready,[10] and NME's Roy Carr felt that the quality of the performances "far exceeds that of the material".[10] In his review for Rolling Stone, John Mendelsohn was highly impressed by Beck's "genius" playing, but found it hampered by the rest of the band: "When either Bob Tench's vocals or Max Middleton's usually pleasant but seldom arresting and never-smoothly-integrated jazz piano are basking therein, Jeff Beck Group's music is mostly just dull — commonplace and predictable."[11] Rob Mackie from the Record Mirror expressed a similar sentiment and said that listeners would not be able to tell whether they are "listening to the band led by one of Britain's best ever guitarists".
    [​IMG]

Side one
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Ice Cream Cakes" Jeff Beck 5:40 Mid tempo with a slow burn "7.5"
    2. "Glad All Over" Aaron Schroeder, Sid Tepper, Beck[12] 2:58 Picks up the pace "7"
    3. "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here with You" Bob Dylan 4:59 Always loved this cover "10"
    4. "Sugar Cane" Beck, Steve Cropper 4:07 Another mid tempo that boils "8"
    5. "I Can't Give Back the Love I Feel For You" Valerie Simpson, Nickolas Ashford, Brian Holland 2:42 Love it, great guitar "10"
    Side two
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    6. "Going Down" Don Nix 6:51 I believe most have heard this rocker "9"
    7. "I Got to Have a Song" Stevie Wonder, Don Hunter, Lula Mae Hardaway, Paul Riser 3:26 This is my lowest rated song on the album "6.5"
    8. "Highways" Beck 4:41 Tight musically with great vocals "10"
    9. "Definitely Maybe" Pensive, great guitar, excellent closing song. "10"

Overall "8.5"

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

As I've written before on here, The Rolling Stone Record Guide gave the Dictators' albums one star or less. The review went something like "Songs about wrestling and contempt, not only for the audience but even for themselves."

As a result I pretty much forgot about them (not hard to do in my benighted backwater, as they were certainly never played on the radio). It would not be until I got Sirius/XM and heard them on Underground Garage that I realized they were the link between the NY Dolls and The Ramones, and that they not only rocked but had a sense of humor as well.

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Well there's KISS for starts. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Rush, One Hot Minute, which I am doing a thread for right now, etc

4. John54

John54 Senior Member

The GTR album.

Sean, Motorcity supernaut and carlwm like this.
  5. zen

zen Senior Member

Musician magazine summarized Yes' Talk album w/ "Shut up."

From that point, I stopped taking that rag seriously.

6. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

The first Jeff Lynne solo album Armchair Theatre. And I can understand some of the criticism but for me he dialed back the ELO excess and came up with the brilliant Now That You’re Gone. His best lp since On The 3rd Day

benjis, vallilalainen and Vdigital like this.
  7. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Thank you, I bought this record the week it came out in 72 and never stopped loving it. Nice notes on it above!
    I enjoy the singing as on it as well but many seem to simply loathe it. Who did they want to hear singing
    on it I wonder? The vocals are expressive, funky and fit right in. The guitar work is otherwordly of course.

8. Joti Cover

I remember reading at least one very negative review of Bowie’s Lodger when it came out which I totally disagreed with.

Hermes likes this.
  9. Joti Cover

Led Zeppelin III was always a favorite of mine but it seemed like everyone hated it the first few years it was out.
    Time has been very kind to it, thankfully.

Folknik and Safeway 1 like this.
  10. Safeway 1

Started this thread late Sunday night on the West coast. See what kind of response for the weekend.
    [​IMG]
    From wiki:
    Critical reaction to the album was varied at the time. Bud Scoppa called the album "one of the year's richest musical experiences"[2][18] in Rolling Stone, while Lester Bangs derided the effort in Creem, saying, "There is a sadness about the Stones now, because they amount to such an enormous 'So what?' The sadness comes when you measure not just one album, but the whole sense they're putting across now against what they once meant..."[2]

Goats Head Soup is now generally considered to have marked the end of the Stones' "golden age", with Stephen Thomas Erlewine saying, "Sliding out of perhaps the greatest winning streak in rock history, the Stones slipped into decadence and rock star excess with Goats Head Soup... This is where the Stones' image began to eclipse their accomplishments, as Mick ascended to jet-setting celebrity and Keith slowly sunk deeper into addiction, and it's possible hearing them moving in both directions on Goats Head Soup, at times in the same song."[19] Goats Head Soup has endured as a popular seller, it has gone triple platinum in the United States and went on to sell close to 6.5 million copies worldwide.[20]

Title Length
    1. "Dancing with Mr. D" 4:53 If this song didn't exist the ratings above would have added an extra star. rate it a "2"
    2. "100 Years Ago" 3:59 Mick merrily lopes along at the beginning and dazzling guitar at the end. "7.5"
    3. "Coming Down Again" 5:54 Love this song underrated as the album itself. "10"
    4. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" 3:26 "The police in New York City" Great stuff . "10"
    5. "Angie" 4:33 2nd best ballad on the record. "8"
    Side two
    No.
    Title Length
    6. "Silver Train" 4:27 Stones can do these songs in their sleep "7.5"
    7. "Hide Your Love" 4:12 Mick does bar blues"7.5"
    8. "Winter" 5:30 The best ballad here. "10"
    9. "Can You Hear the Music" 5:31 Call me nuts but I love this. How often do the Stones utilize a flute? "10"
    10. "Star Star" X-Rated Chuck Berry. Love it "10"

I give an overall 8.5

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I absolutely love that record. Could do without CYHtM, but still such a strong release.

12. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I will never ever forget the review of this in Musician magazine, to this day!
    GTR=SHT

Still funny after 40 years.
    Sorry

mw1917, Another Steve, Sean and 2 others like this.
  13. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The Stone Roses - Second Coming

14. John54

John54 Senior Member

It is funny but the LP is very good!

15. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

My first Ramones concert, in early 1977 in Buffalo, NY, had the Dictators opening.

Jimmy B., Joti Cover and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. davers

davers Forum Resident

Reminds me of a late 80s or early 90s review of a Yes release that went like this:

Yes. "No".

Funniest review ever...and I love Yes!

zen likes this.
  17. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Agreed, it’s a funky, jammy album, unburdened by the hits. :) The original 2xLP is a great sounding pressing.

18. Safeway 1

[​IMG]

The Kinks "Think Visual"

AllMusic Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Think Visual, the band's first album for MCA Records, represented an artistic dead end for the Kinks, as Ray Davies continued to crank out a series of competent, but undistinguished hard rockers. Out of all the loud, riff-driven numbers, only Dave Davies' "Rock N' Roll Cities" made a lasting impression. Ray's gentler songs weren't among his most memorable, relying on slight melodies and underdeveloped lyrics

From RS Magazine:
    In typically perverse style, Ray Davies kicks off the Kinks' debut effort for their new label with "Working at the Factory," a searing indictment of the industrialization of rock. The song finds Ray in a mood of pissed-off resignation, as if he's finally given up altogether on whatever remained of his rock & roll fantasy. Ray even points a finger at "the corporations and the big combines," which he blames for having "turned musicians into factory workers on assembly lines." And on the title track of Think Visual, Ray mocks the sort of bottom-line music-biz advice that gets thrown his way: "Marketing says we gotta merchandise/But economy says we gotta minimize huh/We gotta bud-get to face and the market place is full/Of competition, competition."

But don't expect to hear the Kinks talking tough like that on the airwaves — "Rock 'n' Roll Cities," the first single from Think Visual, is anything but a gutsy statement. This utterly uninspired tour song — written by Dave Davies around a woefully tired riff — engages in the worst sort of rock hucksterism. He even resorts to spitting out the names of a few cities, "from Buffalo to the Gulf of Mexico." This is the sort of desperate, airplay-seeking number that only a radio programmer could love.

Still, fear not, Kinks Kroniklers — all is not lost. Ray Davies continues to be one of rock's most intelligent songwriters, particularly on the slower material. "Lost and Found," for example, is a gorgeous ballad about a couple in New York City weathering their own storm as a hurricane sweeps across the coastline. And the melancholy "How Are You" is another of Ray's well-crafted songs of love and loss.

But one wonders why — aside from the obvious business concerns — Ray Davies needs the Kinks anymore. At this point, the group features as many original members of Argent as it does original members of the Kinks. While the playing on Think Visual is always competent, it's rarely more than that. And Dave Davies's two songwriting contributions — "Rock 'n' Roll Cities" and the equally boring "When You Were a Child" — indicate that the longstanding sibling rivalry between the Davies brothers may have outlived its artistic purpose. Think Visual is another acceptable Kinks album, but it's also frustrating.
    My take is obviously if you are coming here for prime Kinks-no way. But unfortunately the Kinks raised a high bar in their heyday.

If this was released by a band of lesser resume, the reviews might have been better.
    Here's mine:
    1. "Working at the Factory" – 2:58 Good opener -"9"
    2. "Lost and Found" – 5:19 Great song, should have been the title cut- "10"
    3. "Repetition" – 4:06 A little "repetitive" but I kinda like it-"6.5"
    4. "Welcome to Sleazy Town" – 3:50 Bluesy but passable-6.5
    5. "The Video Shop" – 5:15-Dated but there are tons of songs about things that no longer exist-"7"
    6. "Rock 'n' Roll Cities" – 3:43 (Dave Davies)-I realize the panning this song has received but watch the video you might have a change of heart-"7":
    7. "How Are You" – 4:27-Nice cut"7.5"
    8. "Think Visual" – 3:12-Nice hopscotch beat and drums-"7.5"
    9. "Natural Gift" – 3:44-Cruises right al"ong"7"
    10. "Killing Time" – 4:02-Underated cut-"8""
    11. "When You Were a Child" – 3:40 (Dave Davies)-This made up for "R&R cities"8"
    This album is not going to make anyone forget about VGPS, but I still listen on occasion still spin it 30
    years later. Overall 7.6
    For the rest... so many and so few... thank you
    In the meantime... Think Visual

Sean likes this.
  19. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Some really low-rated albums on rym that I love:

(hed) pe - Only in Amerika
    *NSYNC - NSYNC
    Backstreet Boys - Backstreet Boys
    Black Sabbath - Forbidden
    Bob Dylan - Knocked Out Loaded
    Britney Spears - Oops!... I Did It Again
    Cheap Trick - The Doctor
    David Bowie - David Bowie (1967)
    The Doors - Full Circle
    ELP - Love Beach
    ELP - Re-Works
    Enrique Iglesias - 7
    Fleetwood Mac - Time
    Gene Simmons - @$$hole
    Hoobastank - They Sure Don't Make Basketball Shorts Like They Used To
    Jonas Brothers - It's About Time
    Justin Timberlake - Man of the Woods
    Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu
    Madonna - Hard Candy
    Metallica - St. Anger
    Michael Bolton - Time, Love & Tenderness
    Neil Young - Landing on Water
    Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
    Peter Criss - Peter Criss
    Rolling Stones - Dirty Work
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Soundtrack
    Starship - Knee Deep in the Hoopla
    Toby Keith - Shock'n Y'all
    Yes - Remixes
    Yes - Heaven & Earth

That's just a sampling . I could list a ton more.

bzfgt and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  21. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Hudson Hawk is my JAM!

"Bunny, ball-ball!"

BurtThomasWard and maui jim like this.
  22. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Not much and not really sure I'd say these were panned, just more of a general consensus that the album was a let down or not very good.
    Pink Floyd - More
    The Doors - Waiting For the Sun, The Soft Parade

23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

In my collection it would be easier to find something the critics didn’t pan.:)

24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not only funny but also still true :righton:

Saint Johnny likes this.
  25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Leonard Cohen's Various Positions was either panned or ignored upon its release in 1984/85. Yes: an album that includes Dance Me To The End Of Love and Hallelujah didn't make anyone sit up. I think Rolling Stone might have given it a sympathetic, but very small, notice but - generally - it went nowhere. And it's probably his strongest album, too.

Dexys' Don't Stand Me Down got both barrels from all the British critics in 1985 and I remember a very miserable-looking Rowland being interviewed on OGWT. Its reputation has been turned around in recent years, of course....

Jesus Jeronimo and keyse1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.