Song mixes on film soundtracks but not on commercial recording.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HGN2001, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

With the recent thread about Simon and Garfunkel's Essential release, I'm reminded of an old seacrh that's proved fruitless all these years. There's a mix of "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" that appeared in the film of The Graduate that features the "Canticle" part mixed much more forward. I recall buying the soundtrack album looking for that mix, but the one on there is the standard album mix strung together two times. Not quite the same as what was on the film.

Are there other examples of song mixes used in the actual film that never made it to a commercially released recording?

2. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Movie: "The Long Riders"

- Opening/Title sequence theme is a mix that is very slightly different from Ry Cooder/David Lindley's soundtrack album (vinyl, Japanese CD) and the Cooder Soundtrack compilation CD. The film version has the harmonium more obvious in the mix. Wouldn't mind having the film version on CD too.

3. Two examples come to mind

"Vacation" - Vitamin C - 'Pokeman The Movie'

There are instrumental breaks in the cd version, and the whole track is much more percussive in the film. A rawer mix.

- - -

"Round Round" - Belouis Some - 'Pretty In Pink'

completely different recording in the film and on the record club vinyl lp than appears on the cd or more common vinyl issue. The rare one sounds like it was sequenced, not played by a live band.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Kiss- There is a live version of Detroit Rock City in the Detroit Rock City movie but is not found on the crappy soundtrack that was released.

5. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

The Beatles- Magical Mystery Tour

6. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

A Hard Day's Night... Original (mono) movie had all songs remixed. Some of these showed up on the UA soundtrack album, but you won't find them on CD at Best Buy today, long gone.

Same for HELP!, and as Dugan stated, MMT.

Hell, Let It Be's original mono sound track will certainly be replaced when it comes out many years from now...

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there is a shawn colvin tune in a movie called "head above water". i do not know the name of the song off hand, but i know you cannot get the soundtrack and the song is not on any of her cd's.

renny

p.s. it is not even listed in the AMG colvin listing

8. In the first Austin Powers movie, a song plays over the closing credits, "Female Of The Species" by Space. IIRC, this version is very different from the one that ended up on the soundtrack.

"Don't Box Me In" - Stewart Copeland / Stan Ridgeway from Rumblefish. This tune also plays much different over the closing credits than the version found on the soundtrack album.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

The ending tune from the movie "Overboard" has a Randy Newman tune called "Something Special 'bout our Love". It has never appeared on any album/CD, and was not included on the Randy Newman box set.

I made a copy from my LaserDisc for my own Randy compilation CD, but have never seen this on any commercial disc.

There also is a Carole King tune from "Murphy's Romance" that was never released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.