Songs on Sgt Pepper Most Improved By 2017 Remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diamond Star Halo, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've included Strawberry Fields Forever (2015 remix) and Penny Lane as options.

I vote for:

Within You Without You
    Lovely Rita
    Fixing A Hole (most improved IMO)

I'm also loving the updated With A Little Help, Lovely Rita, and Good Morning.

You?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    DK Pete and raveoned like this.
  2. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

This is tough for me, because they all sound improved to me! But, just above the rest I have to say:

"Within You, Without You": George's voice is now just a little above everything else, and it makes it that much more majestic, yet keeps the delicate and otherworldly nature of the song.

"Good Morning, Good Morning": The Anthology version sounds amazing with just them as a band. This remix brings their guitars more to the front, and rocks the song more.

"Reprise": Paul's scat singing is clearer as it is on the Mono, no longer frustratingly just out of hearing range on the original Stereo mix.

3. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

Shame that only three could be selected as I wanted to select EVERY single one as I do regard this remix as "state of the art" and THE BEST MIX that has EVER been.

4. Diamond Star Halo

Truth spoken! All of the remixes are great!

5. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

What I like best about the remix, is that the soundstage is now in the same league as Dark Side Of The Moon.

6. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I voted for "With A Little Help From My Friends" because it achieves the seemingly impossible, it has added depth and space, and yet it retains the slamming chunka chunka chunka chunka of the original, right before the "would you believe in a love at first sight?" line. It was far and away my wife's fave of the whole remix.

7. Is that you, Giles?

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I only listened to it once but these stood high above the others:

Getting Better - that ringing guitar! Tambura!

Within You Without You - a wonderwall of sound

Good Morning Good Morning - machine gun drums.

saborlord123, FVDnz, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  9. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

After a week of listening, I'd have to say that the remix has turned my two least favorite Sgt. Pepper songs - Fixing a Hole, Within You Without You - into probably my two favorites. Just incredible work. Too bad this was not released 30 years ago, but at the time there were very few boxed sets like that around. Glad that I get to hear it now at least.

Jarleboy, bherbert, FVDnz and 11 others like this.
  10. Diamond Star Halo

I concur, especially with regards to Fixing A Hole. It's an amazing transformation.

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I seem to change my mind each time I jump around to a different song; there's so much to be "taken in" here. I imagine this is what it must have felt like hearing it in its' original form 50 years ago...adding that these were brand new songs at the time.

I always thought that Getting Better had the most clutter on the original mix due to all the bouncing which took place. For me, this has to be the overall biggest improvement because listening to it now is as if the room was enlarged.
    It would be very close tie for second place between WYWY and SLH; the instrumental arrangements of both tracks have made these a completely other listening "experience" for me than what it's been for the last 50 years or so.

Mark E. Moon, FJFP, jjm905 and 4 others like this.
  12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Guitars on Good Morning? All I can hear are those damn horns. The guitars are gone.

Dan The Man1 and Wuther like this.
  13. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

The entire remix is so refreshing, detailed, and better balanced, that I find every song to be improved overall. But the ones that really seemed to benefit the most, to my ears, were:

Within You, Without You
    Fixing A Hole
    With A Little Help From My Friends
    When I'm Sixty Four
    Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite
    Good Morning, Good Morning

This was my impression based upon two full careful listens but without doing any precise mix by mix contrasts (as of yet).

14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm not sure any of the songs are improved.
    I'd call them an alternate listening experience,which is fine.

tages, Kim Olesen, Zongadude and 18 others like this.
  15. Diamond Star Halo

The horns sound great IMO.

FJFP likes this.
  16. Diamond Star Halo

Fair enough!

willy and Glenn Christense like this.
  17. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Agree. "Fixing A Hole" became one of my favorite Beatles songs.

18. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I voted Within You Without You, but that only applies to the 5.1. Otherwise, I don't consider any of the new work an improvement at all.

GMDuss and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  19. Diamond Star Halo

I agree! The more I listen to the remixed Sgt Pepper it becomes clear to me that Fixing A Hole has benefitted most from the remix. It has enhanced my enjoyment immensely - I used to consider almost a bit of an afterthought. I'm can't get enough of it now!

20. Diamond Star Halo

I haven't heard any of the surround mixes yet. Obviously I will need to do so.

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If I had to pick ONE disappointment it's actually the horns on GM GM; I love the up-close crunchy sound Emerick got on the original mix. It's missing here.

22. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I'm a Beatles fanatic. This recording is nowhere near the quality of DSOTM. Sorry.

23. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The three songs with heavy orchestration. She's leaving home, within you without you, and Day in the Life.

Diamond Star Halo and DK Pete like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't got this remix as I've never had any problem with the original mixes (mono & stereo). I've bought plenty of copies of Pepper's throughout my life. But Fixing A Hole has always been a favourite. Seeing the new mix of that getting praised has got me interested, I must admit. I think not liking Let It Be...Naked and not being struck by the 1+ remixes put me off the idea of remixed Beatles.

25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

SLH is downright immersive..but besides that, the re-positioning of the orchestration somehow brings out the beauty of the song much more effectively than the original mix, in my view. This was never one of my go-to tracks if I was playing individual songs off the album. That's not the case now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.