Songs that are responses to other songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

... which Hand Ballard and the Midnighters then replied to with "Annie Had A Baby".

So we have:
    Hank Ballard "W0rk With Me Annie" > Etta James "The Wallflower (Roll With Me Henry)" > Hand Ballard "Annie Had A Baby".

highway chile and Dudley Morris like this.
  2. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

I’ve heard this for many years, but it took a long time to find a reference and I’m not sure how authoritative nodepression.com (???) must be but

“A Child’s Claim to Fame” - Richie Furay

“ inspired by Furay's frustrations with Neil Young's on-again-off-again membership in the band”

answered by Neil’s

“I am a Child”

lightbulb likes this.
  3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

A response to Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Bille Joe" was written by Bob Dylan in the Basement Tapes - "Clothes Line Saga"- it was originally titled "Answer to Ode".
    [Ref: Greil Marcus book Invisible Republic]

stewedandkeefed and Ignatius like this.
  4. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Quite tempted to post some hip hop songs. Nevertheless, I Love the sound of Breaking Glass by Nick Lowe, was a homage to / parody of Bowie's Breaking Glass. It did not however, feature on this EP below, of which the cover was also a parody of Bowie's Lowe LP.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Blank Frank, qwerty and highway chile like this.
  5. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Hey Paul
    Hey Paula :D

6. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

"Gotta Serve Somebody" from Bob Dylan, got a response from John Lennon called "Serve Yourself".

Him and so many others weren't happy with Dylan's new found faith.

7. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Going the other direction politically, Sgt. Barry Sadler's "The Ballad of the Green Berets" followed up by Bob Seger's anti-war "Ballad of the Yellow Beret."

8. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Sadler's 'Ballad....' was basically a response to all the protests songs of the previous few years. An anti-protest song, if you will.

9. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I get that, but the last verse for me shows what Seger thinks about boys getting drafted and sent off to war:

Put a yellow streak down my son's back
    Make sure that he never ever fights back
    At his physical have him say he's gay
    Have him win the yellow beret

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"The Universal Coward" - Jan & Dean

starduster likes this.
  11. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Gwen McCrae's "Rockin' Chair" was the response to husband George McCrae's "Rock Your Baby".

12. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

A Girl Named Johnny Cash:

13. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

I can't offer any further insight into this particular story, but No Depression has been around as what I would consider a leading source in the roots music field for over 20 years.

marc with a c likes this.
  14. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Wow. I never heard that before. I know Yoko went after Paul first, because he was the only unmarried Beatle at the time. In fact some believe Paul did a "wham-bam" with Yoko as was his wont back then.

majoyenrac likes this.
  15. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

There are some chattering that John and Linda slept together in John’s househusband days (per some of the info John’s former assistant leaked (Fred Seaman). I find that hard to believe but who knows. I know Linda, recently single was initially after John and John wasn’t interested

I had forgotten that Yoko May have been first after Paul

If all that is true adding the George Harrison/Eric Clapton/Patti Boyd thing to it, and man those days were crazy.

I think too there were rumors with Maureen Starr and George...

16. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

Love Camera Obscura!

Rob Hughes likes this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You got the lyric wrong. It's actually:

"In Birmingham they love the Gov'nor, boo-hoo-hoo
    Now we all did what we could do"

18. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

Back Street Affair - Webb Pierce
    Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells

Crimson Witch likes this.
  19. mshare

mshare Forum Resident

The Circle Game, Joni Mitchell’s response to (or at least inspired by) Sugar Mountain.

Joni introduced Circle Game this way at Gerdes Folk City in 1968:
    This is a song that’s been recorded by a couple of friends of mine, so maybe you know it a little better than the other ones. And if you do – if you know the chorus, wow – just sing along, cause it’s a chorus about people and growing old and growing young and carousels and painted ponies and the weather and the Buffalo Springfield. I wrote it for a friend of mine named Neil Young who, at the time that I knew him was a Canadian ex-rock ‘n roll type turned folkie from Winnipeg, Manitoba, which is just about as bad as Saskatoon, Saskatchewan I guess.

Anyway he’d just turned 20 years old and was very, very depressed, because he said “You know, all my life I’ve been looking forward to being an adult. You know everything – everything that I wanted to do they kept saying “Well lookit, wait kid. You know, wait till you’re older.” And suddenly here I am and I’m older and I can do just about all those things except I can’t go into the pubs ‘til next year. But I can do just about anything I want to and you know what? I wanna go out and play skipping rope and play jacks and all that stuff that I missed and left behind.” He was really depressed, so I wrote a song for him.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    lightbulb likes this.
  20. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

probably the most famous one

21. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

22. a wham bam with yoko is just plain nasty

23. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

It's Your Thing - Isley Brothers
    It's My Thing - Marva Whitney

24. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

"Londons A Lonely Town" by Dave Edmunds. An answer song to "New Yorks a Lonely Town" by The Tradewinds.

25. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Neil Young answering Sweet Home Alabama with Walk On.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.