Songs that really added to the movie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

And how could I forget - FREE BIRD. :)

2. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Making Time in Rushmore
    Save Me in Magnolia

BrutandCharisma likes this.
  3. kokishin

kokishin Forum Resident

4. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Plus 1. Talk about gut wrenching. I was shocked that Springsteen got the nod for his track. This one is way better imo

5. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Again, I turn to my favorite mafioso film by the talented Martin Scorsese. While the film contained a bunch of great (and fitting) tracks for the accompanying scenes, Layla’s coda always shines:

You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like you said to, uh, somebody, "You're gonna like this guy. He's all right. He's a good fella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas. Wiseguys.

6. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Anyone in Trainspotting.

7. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

It's almost impossible, unless people have no hearts.

This gets to me every time also. Beautiful song.

The catch is that this masterpiece wasn't on the soundtrack album...:mad:

8. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Harry Nilsson's 'Everybody's Talking' didn't just add to the film Midnight Cowboy, it made the film.

9. Marc Daniel

Marc Daniel Forum Resident

Ain't No Sunshine. Market scene in Notting Hill.

Yost, Regandron and LilacTeardrop like this.
  10. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Just Dropped In (To See What Condition) - Big Lebowski

11. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

ever see Dogville?

12. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

13. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

14. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

15. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Bowie’s „I’m deranged” as a perfect companion to start and finish of Lost Hihway

16. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

Same for Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Perfection.

soarer29, HenryH and illwind64 like this.
  17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Manhunter

18. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

“Out of Time” by The Rolling Stones in “Coming Home”

jparis51, illwind64 and Carl LaFong like this.
  19. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

There are several in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Namely:
    "Beat City" - The Flowerpot Men
    "Oh Yeah" Yello (originally written by Boris Blank & Dieter Meier)
    "Twist and Shout" - The Beatles

I would also say that the soundtrack plays a huge part in Blade Runner 2049 with the techno loud revving motorized sounds throughout the city scape scenes.

20. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Why deny the obvious child? "STAND BY ME" in... "STAND BY ME".

DavidD, Dodoz, Chemguy and 2 others like this.
  21. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

A lot of the songs mentioned I find to be fine, or not so fine songs; that to one degree or another are inclusions in a film to augment a specific element or character of a movie or for general ambiance or as an exclamation point... but if we're talking about songs where they are almost characters unto themselves; advance and heighten a storyline or reinforce a plot or theme of a film I'd add the entire soundtracks of: first and foremost Macabe and Mrs Miller - Leonard Cohen and secondly Simon & Garfunkel's songs for The Graduate.

As an individual song I might add The Doors - The End as used in Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now.

22. pc-Ray

pc-Ray Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Lots of great musical moments in this movie, but when Jack Black sings Let's Get It On, it's jaw-dropping and wonderful.

23. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Theme song to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly by Ennio Morricone :righton:
    Masterpiece score & film!!

24. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

While there are some fine examples above, the correct answer is the "This Woman's Work" in She's Having a Baby. A marginal movie, but this song put that scene into the stratosphere of the mix of music and movies like no other:

Bryan Harris and samskeyti like this.
  25. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Dream Academy "Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" during the Chicago Art Museum scene

"The scene, an ode to Hughes’ personal admiration for the museum, takes the film from feel-good teen flick to thought-provoking cinema, and establishes its place among the best museum movies of all time... Unlike Ferris and Sloane, who remain happy and carefree throughout the film, Cameron is constantly wrestling his inner demons. He reluctantly follows Ferris’ lead, and at the museum, he plays along with Ferris and Sloane’s spoof of the art-going experience, mimicking the positioning of a Rodin statue and running through the gallery with a group of children. But once separated from his friends, Cameron finds himself in a moment of serious introspection in front of George Seurat’s A Sunday on La Grande Jatte.

[​IMG]

The camera cuts back and forth between Cameron’s face and the face of the young girl at the center of the pointillist painting. Inching closer to the canvas with each cut, the camera is eventually so close to her face that it is no longer identifiable as such.

“He’s struggling to find his place and he dives into the face of that little kid,” says Harvey. “It almost brings me to tears, because he’s having a soul-wrenching, life changing experience. When he comes out of that painting, he will not be the same.”

While Ferris and Sloane are, perhaps alarmingly, confident in who they are, Cameron is constantly searching for his raison d’être. Just as the little girl in the painting faces a different direction from everyone around her, Cameron is experiencing life differently from his peers and particularly his best friend. In this little girl, Cameron begins to understand himself." How Ferris Bueller's Day Off Perfectly Illustrates the Power of Art Museums | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

John Hughes (1986) "The closer he looks at the child, the less he sees. But the more he looks at, there's nothing there. I think he fears that the more you look at him the less you see. There isn't anything there. That's him"

All of this is going on while the Dream's Academy's hauntingly beautiful instrumental cover of the Smith's "Please Let Me Get What I Want" is playing takes the scene and the movie to another level. This is simply perfection when the beauty of art, music, acting, and writing come together to depict the human struggle and longing for meaning and identity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.