Songs where the singer says something totally random

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rocker, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. music4life

music4life Senior Member

That phrase is Micky doing an impression of Bill Cosby who said something like that in his comedy monologes at the time...

I always thought he was saying "Move it later"?...

"I've Got Blisters On My Fingers!"...

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Most Supertramp songs with Roger singing. I love it.

3. slunky

slunky Forum Resident

"Wild Child" by the Doors.

The ending line is mighty random: "You remember when we were in Africa?"

4. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

That's easy. The ending or coda of Siberian Khatru from Close To The Edge.

Bluetail, tailfly,
    Luther, in time,
    Suntower, asking,
    Cover, lover,
    June cast, moon fast,
    As one changes,
    Heart gold, leaver,
    Soul mark, mover,
    Christian, changer,
    Called out, saviour,
    Moon gate, climber,
    Turn round, glider.

5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"I dropped my harmonica, Albert!" -- Paul Simon from "A Simple Desultory Philippic"

"I saw yer!" -- from "Happy Jack" by The Who

"Stronger than dirt" -- from "Touch Me" by the Doors

6. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

First one that came to my mind was "Night Prowler" by AC/DC where Bon Scott says "Nah-noo Nah-noo" at the end.

7. orthobiz

orthobiz Forum Resident

I thought it was "there's a planet coming"

Paul

8. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Come on nobody is going to mention 1983's Speaking in Tongues, a whole album by the Talking Heads where David Byrne inserted many random words and phrases just to match the rhythm of the songs? Check out the old Letterman interview on you tube where he comments on studying people in churches speaking in tongues.

9. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I assume you're referring to the last line of "No Not Now". It's not entirely random, here's what it refers to:

"Further example of accent-like bowlderization by Zappa's one-time body guard, Bald-Headed John: Ebzen-Sauce = Epsom Salts." [ a curative soaking agent]

I think a lot of phrases from the Zappa canon seem entirely random, but there is a lot of conceptual continuity going on. Thing-Fish has some great moments. I love it when the Crab-Grass Baby quotes Motorhead Sherwood from "Lumpy Gravy".

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

#1 is in reference to Albert Grossman..."A Simple Desultory Philippic" is a Dylan imitation

#2 is Pete's comment as Keith Moon peeks through the glass in the vocal booth. He kept distracting them during their vocal attempts.

#3 is in reference to an old Ajax commercial.

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That was Dennis who said that.

12. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

I thought of him first but I think because Frank music has a lot of multi-parts in his songs I think he planned everything he was saying. I don't think he was random in my opinion.

13. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

Another Kim Mitchell-ism occurs in the live version of I Am A Wild Party where at the end of the song he starts yelling "I know I'm a lot of feathers and not much chicken." WTF?

14. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Forum Resident

I love how at the end of Beck's "Modesto" he just says "chokin' on a breath mint" for seemingly no reason at all.

15. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I think it's Fast Eddie that says "I'm So Drunk."

16. motorcitydave

T. Rex-"and meanwhile, I'm still thinkin'" :crazy:

17. rokritr

rokritr Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

It is random, but it's actually an inside-joke from Jim to his close friend Frank Lisciandro and his then-wife Kathy Lisciandro (who was also the Doors secretary).

The Lisciandros spent a year in Africa in the Peace Corps from 1966 to 1967--when the Doors were just starting to launch--and when they returned they would often catch themselves saying to each other around Jim, "Oh, remember when we were in Africa....<when we did such-and-such>"

This happened enough times that Jim used the line as a wink to his close friends....Jim's lines weren't always as mystical as many who believe in the "myth" would believe

18. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

You may know this, but in case you don't, that's a direct quote from Chuck Berry's song "Little Queenie."

It may not make so much sense in the context of "Bang a Gong (Get It On)," but I wouldn't say it passes the "random" test...it was obviously said with intent.

19. motorcitydave

Ok, that's right...to me it's random. What can I say? It's goofy, but it rules!

20. "D-d-d-d-d-digital, heh, one, two, three, five!"

21. A serious question though? What is being said during the fade-out at the end of Led Zeppelin's "D'yer Mak'er"? It sounds like Jimmy Page or someone counting out "Five" or saying "Fire" every few bars.

22. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

But if we're gonna include that, then every Yes song between 1970 and 1975 falls under this thread! :winkgrin:

Geoff

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Somewhere during "Make it Funky", James Brown starts listing off random food names:

"Turnips... watermelon... Mobile gumbo.... cornbread.... candied yams....." etc....

:shrug:

24. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

I'm with you on that one, it's always sounded like "cookin'" to me. Sort of a sly comment by John on the slow pace groove of the song during the instrumental portion. Sort of a "Yeah, we're really cookin' here...".

25. Allen

Allen New Member

The Cocteau Twins....... Just about everything;)

And in Hyperactive by Thomas Dolby there are a couple of shouts for "Butter".
    Whats that all about?

Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.