Songs you thought were by a different artist upon first hearing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rocker, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Dire Straits "Sultans Of Swing" - thought it was Dylan...

Ezd likes this.
  2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Eurythmics "Would I Lie To You" - thought it was Heart...

3. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Magical Mystery Tour isn't The Wombles?!

4. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

When I was a kid, the first time I heard the Yardbirds’ “Heart Full of Soul” on the car radio, I thought it was the Stones.

beccabear67 likes this.
  5. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Not quite the same, but when I first started listening to The Beatles as a kid I often thought it was John singing on some of Georges tracks. Oddly enough, around that time I thought Ringo sang Lady Madonna.

Otherwise, to me Echo Beach was by The Banshees.

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  6. WHR

WHR Forum Resident

Someones probably already posted this but - America -Horse with No Name= Neil Young

Another Steve likes this.
  7. Twittering Machine

Twittering Machine Forum Resident

When I first heard Funny How Love Is by Queen I was sure it was some 60s girl group like The Ronettes.

8. pudgym

pudgym Monster Raving Loony

Very true. For an example of a record which you very well may have heard, "Just One Look" by the Hollies (on its 1st release), with that Beatle-esque guitar line was unquestionably thought to be a Beatle song, until it was learned it was not {What! People didn't read the label?}, and at that time crashed out of the Hot 100! It was months later that it actually got back on the charts because people felt it was really a good record, even though it was not by those moptops.

9. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I Love The Nightlife by Alicia Bridges-I thought it was Leo Sayer.

10. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Hair Of The Dog by Nazareth
    For years I called it "Son Of A Bitch" by ACDC.

I never got the Neil Young/Horse With No Name link. That thought never crossed my mind.

11. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

I think I thought "What Do All the People Know" by The Monroes was The Cars.

Also, I first thought "Self Control" by Laura Branigan was Gloria Estefan.

12. MacLuz

MacLuz Member

First time I heard Police's So Lonely 1979 in a prog-disco, I thought it was Jon Anderson singing, probably a new song by YES.

13. I've said it before, I'll say it again--first time I heard "Long Cool Woman in A Black Dress" by The Hollies, I thought MAN that sounds like a lost CCR classic. They managed to capture the CCR vibe perfectly. I wasn't sure who it was the first time I heard it but I didn't suspect it was The Hollies.

Fullbug likes this.
  14. There are prog discos in Germany?

15. Really? It doesn't sound anything like The Cars to me--I hear a bit of Modern English in it.

16. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

The keyboard, lyrics, and Orr-esque voice are what made me think The Cars, 1st or 2nd album, to be specific.

17. MacLuz

MacLuz Member

They used to be quite a few, yes. Talking about 1979 here, so around late 70s until mid 80s they existed. Playing Prog stuff, or jazzrock album's entire disc-sides. Exceptional. Nice atmosphere. Music lovers had good times there.

wayneklein likes this.
  18. TrillSeeker

TrillSeeker Forum Resident

The Marmalade “Reflections of My Life” always sounds like The Hollies to me.

19. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

They did another song in that style too, one with a long title about somebody shooting somebody else. I think it was Terry Sylvester on vocals? Anyway it certainly wasn't Graham Nash, and the completely different sound of the vocalist would have made it hard to recognise as the Hollies.

Cachiva likes this.
  20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Speaking of Yes, sometime in 1975 I was in a music store somewhere in Europe and heard a song that I thought must have been an old Yes tune - sounded a little bit like the style of "Your Move", but the voice did not sound quite like Anderson.

It was "Who Loves You" by the Four Seasons!

21. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

I thought billy joe royal’s down in the boondocks was also Pitney.

22. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

In the summer of 1969, the first few times I heard it, I thought Something In The Air was Blind Faith's debut single.

23. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

I was playing a trivia game at my brother's house last weekend (me 52 him 50 for context). You have to give clues to for your teammate, the answer was Rod Stewart, and he said to me "The guy that sung 'It's A Heartache"! I said "That's Bonnie Tyler!". BUZZER. When he told me the answer he said "Jeez, all these years I thought it was Rod.." :)

CDFanatic likes this.
  24. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Was that thunderclap newman?

25. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

He rocks dave mason’s “feeling allright”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.