Sonny Rollins Way Out West Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dminches, Dec 19, 2017.

1. btf1980

btf1980 Forum Resident

Despite being cut from hi-res digital, it actually sounds pretty good. I just compared it to my 45rpm pressing and the 33 rpm AP pressing, which is the pressing I listen to most of the time.
    I'd rank it below the 33 AP and 45RPM, but it's certainly not bad sounding and I can't imagine anyone having an issue with how it sounds. The main issue here is the kerfuffle with Concord shafting AP. It's a nice package, but I wouldn't pay $80 for it, and thankfully I didn't. Cost me only $20.

Some photos...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PacificOceanBlue and Lucca90 like this.
  2. JHC3

JHC3 Forum Resident

Thank you for your thoughts. I am a big fan of Sonny and this record and it is nice to have comments from someone who has actually taken the time to review this fairly. It did garner a 9 after all, from the apparent voice of the (vinyl) god.

3. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Get the old Original Jazz Classics reissue.
    Turns out it's all analog.

Tommyboy likes this.
  4. dominguez

dominguez Forum Resident

Any more news on the SQ? I'm curious because it's down to $44.95 at Amazon.

RiRiIII and Jimijam like this.
  5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Thanks. Ordered.

Some others have got it for 27 Euro as previously offered by french amazon!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  6. JHC3

JHC3 Forum Resident

The question is: has anyone actually *received* it from French Amazon?

7. Yes, I have, but unfortunately, the box got dinged in one corner, also causing corner dings on both record covers inside. In addition, one of the albums has a nasty seam split on top, probably happened during the impact which caused the corner ding.

Since it is out of stock, they could not issue a replacement order, and I didn't want to return it because the vinyl plays fine and the price was reasonable.