Sonos and Vinyl a good idea? Please help...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Maggie Stone, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggie Stone

Maggie Stone New Member Thread Starter

I am just getting back into vinyl and have recently purchased a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable and Pro-Ject Phono Box MM pre-amp. I already have the following Sonos products: 1-Playbar, 4x Play:1, 1-Play:3 and a Sonos SUB woofer.

I am reading on other blogs that the vinyl sound is much better with stand alone speakers. I am new to all of this and would appreciate opinions, does anyone else agree that hooking a decent turntable to sonos system will result in much lower sound quality?

If I add TT to my Sonos system the thought is I could hook up the turntable to my TV and play it through my soundbar all over apt, BUT will I loose significant sound quality? Or should I just get a set of stand alone speakers to strictly play vinyl? If I do that, do I need a receiver also, any suggestions on equipment would be great.

My goal is to have the best listening experience. I appreciate any and all advice.
    Thank you for your time!

2. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

yes you will. Is there a sonos device that will take RCA inputs? if so maybe a TT + phone preamp -> sonos?

3. Maggie Stone

Maggie Stone New Member Thread Starter

Thank you for your response gibby299.
    Sonos has 2 options to connect RCA inputs:
    CONNECT — Streaming Music Stereo Upgrade | Sonos
    CONNECT:AMP - Wireless Stereo Amplifier | Sonos

The above thought was to save $400-500 and just do TT + Phono preamp +TV which plays on my Sonos playbar to have it connected to the Sonos system I have.
    But what I understand from your comment above I will lose significant sound quality, which I do not want.

Would you suggest just having TT + phono preamp + stand alone speakers just for vinyl use?

4. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

No, just avoid going through TV for TT audio if possible. The TV might just pass signal with little change but it might also affect sound? Maybe you know someone with a phono preamp to try it and see if through TV is OK to your expectations?

5. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Welcome to the forum.

Your best best is a bare bones set up for your TT.. TT>receiver>speakers

Your Sonos is great for internet radio, streaming, etc.

ls35a likes this.
  6. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Since you already have an articulated Sonos system, a Sonos Connect seems to be a good idea. Actually, the Sonos Amp could be a sweet deal, its sound quality is pretty good for the money.

The decision is yours. I listen to vinyl (also) on my Sonos system, I like the sound and I'm happy, but of course nothing can beat a dedicated amplifier and speakers.

7. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

Vinyl and Sonos works well in my opinion. Originally I used the line in one of my gen 1 play 5's but after pressure from my wife I had to move the TT away from the 5 (and off the sideboard!) and into another room. Rather than buy a single play 5, I bought a refurbished ConnectAmp and hooked it up to my TT and bought a couple of Q Acoustic Concept 20's to create a bit of a 'rig' in my lounge where I join it up with a couple of other zones I have set up in this room. My advice would be to either buy a play 5 or a connect and use the rca connectors

8. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

not sure if this helps but I have a completely vintage McIntosh setup, everything is from the late 70s. I also have Sonos which I run through a DAC to the preamp. sound is perfect!

9. I've had great results playing vinyl through my Sonos system. I moved into a new house and didn't have an obvious place to put my huge, floor standing Thiel speakers, so as a temporary solution I've been using the Sonos. It's been two years and I'm still just using the Sonos instead of my bigger setup.

I run a Rega RP3 into a Graham Slee Accession phono stage and then run that into a Sonos Connect. The Connect then streams the music to a pair of Play 5s in my living room and also to several Play 1s throughout the house. I also have a Boost hooked directly into my router to give better coverage throughout the house to avoid signal loss. I'm not sure how necessary the Boost is, to be honest, but I rarely if ever have any drop outs when playing back vinyl. Personally, I think the playback sounds great and my wife is much happier not having my monstrous Thiel's in the living room.

Regarding the original question about running through the TV, you can always try it out and see how it sounds. Personally, I'd want something less roundabout and would try to go the turntable > phono preamp > Connect route to minimize the potential for interference or signal loss, but give it a shot and see how it works.

If you have any questions about setting Sonos up for vinyl, please feel free to drop me a line, as I have probably encountered most of the common problems at this point.

dbsea and Ignominious like this.
  10. ltusler

ltusler Forum Resident

Yes.
    AT LP120 modded, Phono Pre, Sonos Connect, DAC, miniDSP DDRC88, Schitt SVS, Amp, Speakers.

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I retired my Thiel 3.6's for a few years. You will probably really enjoy hooking them back up if you are away from them for a while. I forgot how great and detailed they sounded while I was using a smaller system out of convenience. I am very impressed with the sound of Sonos, but it's apples and oranges. Just depends on what you expect to hear when listening to music.

12. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

First, I'm pro wireless systems; I think they're great for around the house listening. BUT... even fidelity issues aside (you'll lose quality going wireless, you wont hardwiring), I dont think the convenience factor is worth it. Vinyl is inherently inconvenient. If I'm cleaning the bathroom, I gotta run into another room to flip the vinyl? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    I'd get stand alone speakers and the Sonos Amp (or Connect if going Play:5 route). That way you could hardwire your TT + speakers AND have the wireless capability if you want. Or..I believe the Sonos 5 is the only one which has a 3.5 AUX in, you should also be able to make it work with dual capability (Wi-Fi-traditional) that way too

Martin67 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.