Sonus Faber

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JA Fant, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I never thought of the SF house sound as being particularly warm or dull sounding. Also, depending on the particular model, the sound can be quite different. I am also surprised that so many think their lineup is tube-friendly. I have found most of their speakers to be very particular about the amps used with them, and many are somewhat hard to drive with tube gear, except when used with high-powered, brute force tube amps (the type I generally don't like). My favorite in their lineup is the Stradivarius--it has a fantastically natural tonal balance and delivers a full harmonic spectrum, it is not overly edgy sounding or harsh (a common problem even with high-end speakers) and this combination means "musical" and "natural" sounding to my ears. The downside is that, like almost all regular speakers, it does not have the immediacy and low-level dynamics of the best high-efficiency and compression/horn systems (nothing else really come close to good horn systems in this regard so this is NOT a particular criticism of the Stradivarius model). I have also listened extensively to a friend's Anniversario and that is a pretty good system too, although it will sound limp and uninvolving with lower-powered tube gear (the kind I like). I have helped with the setup of an Elipsa and that turned out to be a hard speaker to set up, but, ultimately decent sounding. I know someone with the Amati Futura that are powered by the Naim 500 amps--that particular setup sounded WAY to brittle and edgy for my taste, but, I have only heard that speaker with another Naim amp so I don't know how it performs with other amplification.

pdovore likes this.
  2. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

We recently purchased a pair of Olympica IIIs. They sound awesome and are being driven by a pair of McIntosh 1201 mono blocks.

scotti, ceynon and Baron Von Talbot like this.
  3. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Having rocked Dehumanizer through our Olympica IIIs, I can tell you assuredly, they DO ROCK

scotti likes this.
  4. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I am enjoying a pair of Venere 1.5's in my second system. They have taken a bit of time to come on song but they seem to have turned a corner. Really enjoying them. They replaced a pair of KEF LS50's in my home office. Would love to try the Olympica stand mount one of these days.

jupiterboy likes this.
  5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Interesting way to put it " suit me and my music better " , like it. The same goes for my S.F.'s. :whistle:

royzak2000 likes this.
  6. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

Now
    I have Cremona M and SF Solo center :)

7. trd

trd Forum Resident

Anyone else with the grand piano domus?

8. fmalloy

fmalloy Active Member

Cool, sign me up!

Tweeters designed by Dr. Frankenstein!

But how do they sound?

9. eb24

eb24 Active Member

Hopefully in keeping with the thrust of the thread -

Has anyone got views on how the sonus faber olympicas compare to the Proac response series? Eg olympica III vs Proac D48?

10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Oh, an opportunity to post a picture of my Anniversario's.

[​IMG]

11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Oh another opportunity to post my delicious Cremona M.
    I have only got one too. I am saving up for the other one.
    [​IMG]

Mlle. Aurora and Tim 2 like this.
  12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I new somebody would mention there was only one. LOL[​IMG]

Tullman, TeflonScoundrel, trd and 2 others like this.
  13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Just joking man, that is a lovely set up. Do you use them without the string, have you noticed a difference.
    [​IMG]

TeflonScoundrel, trd and Tim 2 like this.
  14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Not a big difference but I prefer them without the string grills, just a whisker more detail.
    Have recently changed to an all Ayre front end from an Ayre KX-R preamp and Levinson #532 power amp.
    There even more coherent and magical now.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy photo.

Art K and royzak2000 like this.
  15. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I should try it they came with the grills on,as Sonus-Faber suggest but nothing in Hi-Fi is written in stone.

Tim 2 likes this.
  16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Interesting. My owners manual recommends leaving the grills off when listening. :shh:

George P likes this.
  17. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Tim - great pics of the Ayre gear....I've always thought that Ayre has some of the best looking gear in black....too bad it doesn't seem to be more common.

- Buck

Tim 2 likes this.
  18. trd

trd Forum Resident

Not as fancy as any of you but I enjoy them. Only had the speakers a few months - Grand Piano Domus

[​IMG]

Art K, Kyhl, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  19. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

20. mds

mds Forum Resident

Has anyone had any experience, in their home, with the Olympica 1 mini-monitors? I've had my eye on a pair and was wondering if they would pair well with tube equipment and the minimum power requirements. Of course I would like to hear your opinion on their sound in general along with their ability to reproduce bass knowing that they are a two way ported box and not a floor standing three-way design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.