Sony DVP-NS755V vs ES SCD-XA9000ES

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MrMudPuppy, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMudPuppy

MrMudPuppy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am looking to replace my entry level Sony DVP-NS755V ($245) with the new Sony ES SCD-XA9000ES ($2,999). The wife-approval window of opportunity just opened for this purchase. :goodie: I thought I'd better jump through the window, because it may not open again for another 5,000 years (just kidding... she's fabulously understanding with my audio habit).

SACD Playback
    At this time, I am only concerned with 2Ch SACD playback - My receiver can't handle MCh. Can anyone put into words what sonic differences/improvements I might expect by going from the 755 to the XA9000? Is is a 10% improvement or a night-and-day phenomenon? Higher resolution? Better imaging? etc.

CD Playback
    I am also interested in CD playback. Currently, I play my CDs through a Sony XA20ES. Does anyone know if the Sony ES SCD-XA9000ES redbook performance betters that of the XA20ES? I've read that Sony ES SCD-XA9000ES redbook performance is only "good".

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Can I get a permission slip from your wife to mine?

3. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

I think those are non-transferable. :)

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have listened to the 755V and own the XA777ES (should be about the same sound as XA9000ES).

Yes you will hear a huge difference IMO. My direct upgrade path was SCD-C555ES immediately followed by the XA. Difference was huge.

There was a midrange clarity that was fantastic on the XA. The bass was very solid and deep. CDs improved tremendously. So much so, that I'll take a well mastered CD over an average SACD anyday. Breathed new life into my redbook collection for certain.

Don't always believe what people are saying about the XA9000ES's redbook performance. If it's in the same league as my XA777ES, you'd have to spend many thousands more to get better CD performance methinks.

5. MrMudPuppy

SamS,

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Overall, I am taking steps to upgrade my audio chain (see profile for a list of my humble system). In the big scheme of things, the Denon AVR is the next in line to go - no MCh analog inputs, want something more musical, etc.

My follow-up question is: do you think I'm putting my money in the wrong place at this time by purchasing the Sony ES SCD-XA9000ES. Should I be doing something different? Feel free to chime in any one!

rpdugan,

My wife got a good laugh out of your post :p

6. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The brand new XA9000ES is only available at premium price currently. It will be different in one or two months. A discounted or second hand XA777ES would also be a less expensive option (ca $1500-1800)

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I agree. There is little difference between the older model and the new model in the digital train. Of course, the 9000 has iLink - but who wants that?

You don't want m/c at the moment, yet these two players specialize in that aspect of SACD sound. Is this a direction you are sure you are headed in down the track?

You own a budget SACD player at the moment and want to jump to a very expensive player with a strong m/c focus, and yet that's not a capability of your system. Perhaps you could look at another stereo SACD player as an interim step - something like a used SCD-777ES? There are a number of players that sound significantly better than the 755 and you will appreciate the improved sound without sinking too much money into one component, especially when you have a number of upgrading steps in mind.

MrMudPuppy, I hope you don't mind my saying so, but I think you are being a little seduced by the glitz of the new. We've all been there. Step back a little.

8. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

I have seen the XA9000ES for $1999 on ebay. I doubt you end up with a warranty that means anything, though, the seller not being an authorized internet dealer.

9. MrMudPuppy

Yes, my ultimate goal is m/c.

I don't mind at all - in fact this is exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for. It is easy to be seduced by the glitz of the new, and this forum, I've found can be a collective voice of reason. Of course your post just put me in a decision-making tail spin :laugh:

Hey, I just hit post #200 and nothing magical happened...

10. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member

XA9000ES can be purchased on ebay or audiogon at $2,000 with warranty, I got mine and I registered it without any problem. But if you only care about 2ch, 2nd hand SCD-1 might be a better choice, it has better transport and a lot of mod services are available.

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

If CD playback on the 'XA9000ES is only "good" (I have read this too), does this mean that it is not as good as the 'XA777ES? I have only read stellar reviews of the 'XA777ES as a CD player.

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I own the XA777ES and the CD playback is great indeed. I found it to sound at least on par with the SACD playback of the Philips DVD963SA, compared with hybrid SACDs. In most cases I prefered the Sony playing the CD layer to the Philips playing the SACD layer.

But I have reservations about the overall build quality and the durability of the mechanics of the Sony. My previous Sony CDP-X777ES ($1500 in 1991) was much better in that respect, it seems indestructible, while the XA777 makes mechanical noises (when loading a disc and changing between layers) which make the laser pickup seem flimsy in comparision.

That's why I think this player was never worth the $3500 list price. The same is true for the XA9000ES, if the mechanic quality is the same.

13. Metralla

I would guess, without having heard the 9000ES, that these would have very similar CD performance. There is really little difference between these two players in so far as chipset, DACs, architecture, transport.

I would not call the SCD-XA777ES a stellar CD player - to paraphrase. My modified XA777ES however is positively intergalactic - but much of that is due to the custom work Ric Schultz did.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ah, now that's a good question ;)

I'm sure your speakers are fine. Taking a brief look at your system, I'd recommend ditching the Denon. While it is a nice a/v receiver, you are trying to get to another level, especially with you M/Ls. You should look into seperates.

You didn't state your exact budget, but if we take ~$3000 for a XA9000ES, you could spend ~$1300 on a midlevel A/V preamp from Rotel or the likes and the other ~$1700 on a pretty good multichannel amp. I think that would really translate into better sound than a high-end CDP. Wait a year or so and then pick up an XA when they start getting more discounted.

15. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

If you've got the $ to spend on a good SACD player, why not consider other brands as well? Many make good ones above $1k that you may find more to your tastes.

16. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member

In sony's own description, it's said XA9000ES has 3 times of DAC than XA777ES. I don't know if it helps anything on sound quality, but it has 18 DAC inside. :D

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Sony put out some incorrect info regarding this when the XA9000ES was first announced. Currently Sony lit and reviews should show it to have the same DAC configuration as the XA777ES.

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have a $500. Philips 963SA universal player that sounds amazingly good. I really like the 192 upsampling feature. I would look for a unit that has 192 upsampling especially if I had many redbook cds.

19. Metralla

Raxel,

SamS is exactly right. Who would you rather trust - Sony or us? ;)

20. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Here's a quote from the recent Stereophile review:

"Functionally, the SCD-XA9000ES is almost identical to the SCD-XA777ES; I refer readers to Kalman Rubinson's review for a full description. The XA9000 appears to use the same multilevel DACs as the XA777, fed directly by digitally filtered DSD data for SACD playback, or by CD data first transformed to 24-bit words by an 8x-oversampling filter, then upsampled to 2.8824MHz/1-bit data. Two DACs are used per channel in multichannel playback; for two-channel operation, six DACS are summed to minimize noise. "

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hmmm. While I normally trust Stereophile as the authority on these matters, I have a notion that the part about upsampling 16-bit CDs to 2.8824Mhz/1-bit is incorrect. I don't have anything to confirm that now, just going off other reports and the fact that the particular BB Dacs don't need to upsample 16-bit to sound good.

22. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Ron, How you upgrade depends on your upgrade strategy. Most people start with an entry level system and then go one of two ways: one way is to buy a really fantastic component when you can afford it and then save until you can afford another really great component and buy it and eventually you will have a really fantastic system. The other way is to upgrade from an entry level system to a lower mid-level system, to an upper mid-level system to a high-end system. The second way involves a lot more buying and selling but it avoids the unbalanced system in the early days and the single weak point in the latter days of the first method.

23. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Do mechanical noises inherently indicate "poor" build quality?

I have an XA777ES, and it makes some noise, nothing earthshattering, though. The drawer mechanism on mine is super quiet. Yes, the player does make some noises when switching between SACD and CD layers, etc. - but I believe these to be the laser assembly doing it's job in ensuring the correct laser is being used for either SACD stereo or MCH and/or redbook CD. I do think I remember reading that the XA777ES has more than one laser - one for redbook CD and one for SACD?

I have three SACD players, the C333ES, the CE775 and the XA777ES - and going from the C333ES to the XA777ES in stereo only there was a difference, but it seemed subtle to me at first. To be honest, though, since I have gotten my XA777ES almost 2 years ago I haven't used the C333ES at all for SACD playback, and very little for CD playback. The biggest difference I heard, which sold me on the XA777ES right away (when a friend let me borrow his) was the difference in MCH sound between the CE775 and the XA777ES.

I bought the CE775 as a way to play MCH SACDs, and to compliment my C333ES. (I never intended to purchase an XA777ES). I then started reading only good things about the sound quality of the XA777ES, and a friend lent me his to put in my system for a few weeks. After only 2 days listening to MCH SACDs on the borrowed XA777ES, I HAD to have one. The rest is history.

24. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I bought 9000 a month ago (check out my thread about it) and it's not only GOOD in red-book performance - it's GREAT! It killed ultra High End players like Mark Levinson 39, Linn Ikemi, Lindemann and a $10 000 combo of Wadia transport and Threshod DAC. Get it NOW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.