Sony Legacy Pop Market (Pt 5)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

This will get their attention. Pop Market will answer your questions. They have to if they are to save the sale. More than once I've gotten an online retailer to respond only by initiating a chargeback by my credit card company. Just stay polite and reasonable. You'll be amazed at how fast things can get resolved by this carrot and stick approach.

2. glide

glide Forum Resident

I wind up filing paypal disputes with Popmarket more often than not. Usually what happens is they dont respond, PayPal sides in my favor, then the product shows up several weeks later.

I would never purchase from them if the PayPal option was not available. Customer service is literally non-existent.

3. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

nice that you have have it figured out how to get your stuff for free..somehow I doubt you reimburse them when your item does show up... or am i wrong?

it is a weird world where buyers feel entitled to steal and then on top of it complain about the seller but that is the world we live in....

ARK and stoneknuckle like this.
  4. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

I have spent hundreds of dollars at Pop market over the years and never had a major problem so it is discouraging to read about all these problems.

I can only recall two issues. Once,an LP didn't ship after 3 weeks,and I sent an email asking for a cancellation and it was executed with a refund and an apologetic email within 24 hours...another time,after an LP was hung up in an awaiting fulfillment status for about 10 days I reached out again. That time I got the same result and a discount code to use on a future purchase,so they are OK in my book.

lightbulb and hutchenstance like this.
  5. glide

glide Forum Resident

There is no intent on my part to "steal". I am following a remedy available to me when a vendor takes my money, doesn't ship the product, and refuses to answer emails.

If you think they suddenly start answering emails after a paypal disput you are mistaken. So please, Mr self-righteous, let me know how I would return something to them without laying out additional money, time, and effort on my part.

Bottom line is they have a terrible operating model.

Lewisboogie and Spitfire like this.
  6. hutchenstance

I've had no problems with them either...but I have heard they can take a while to fulfill orders..

I think people nickel and diming sellers are kind of lame... I sell stuff on Amazon and Ebay and I can't tell you how much ******** I run into...and since its all stacked against the seller you almost instantly give full refunds without asking any questions lest you get bad feedback..sometimes if there is a problem I'll even send some few extra records for free...

one guy orders a cassete... i send him a cassette and an extra sealed cd.. then he says he did not order cd and to send him the cd.so i sent him the cd too.. so he got 2 cds (1 sealed) and a cassette for 1.99$

that is the way the market is this way... i also buy and i rarely ever ask for refunds or partial refunds but i will point out issues when they arise..

like i said..its a buyers market

Tjazz likes this.
  7. hutchenstance

so you keep the item for free but don't consider it stealing?

sounds good mac..

ARK likes this.
  8. hutchenstance

'
    oh and if anyone is self righteous is you.. you are the definition of it.. you keep the item for free and then on top of it complain about it.. OH MY GOD THEY TOOK YOUR TIME AND DID NOT RESPOND SO YOU KEEP ITEM FOR FREE BUT THE GALL OF THE SELLER!!!!

ARK likes this.
  9. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Karma.

If a Paypal dispute was necessary (and it clearly sounds as if it was) and this resulted in a refund...and the product arrived at a later date, I'd find a way to get the money to the vendor (Popmarket in this case).

But that's just me.

It doesn't justify the poor customer service (like others, my handful of Popmarket orders have been absolutely flawless). It is just the right thing to do.

Troyh and ARK like this.
  10. glide

glide Forum Resident

No, keyboard-commander. Let me give you the rundown.
    I pay for the item, they dont ship it, and don't answer follow up emails.
    I file a dispute with paypal, they don't respond to that either (keep in mind they have weeks to follow up). PayPal then issues a refund.
    The idiots at Popmarket don't have a mechanism to tie in the fact I have already received a refund from PayPal and decide to ship the items originally ordered (we're talking over a month later at this point).
    Then I contact them asking how to initiate a return. Crickets...

So I'll ask you again. What should be the correct course of action and how much responsibility must I bear for their idiocy?

And stop shouting. Who are you yelling at?

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I agree completely. Even if you wanted to do the right thing, nobody responds to your inquiries. What are you supposed to do?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  12. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

^^^^ This , they take your $$$$ don't ship the items & then if there is a problem they won't answer messages .....

My last sale with them , they took my $$$ never shipped , i sent them a message over 3 weeks later , no reply , but they shipped out next day , then they are Defective , all the corners got crushed & folded over during shipping , took weeks to get an answer about Exchanging them ............... new set 2 out of 3 lp's have servere warps in them , can't play them 3 emails over 2 weeks where i keep getting automated emails stating they received my messages but are just too busy ?
    Finally i get them on facebook & they answer me that way , re-ship the warped lp's & sent me the wrong one's ...........
    Really ? i don't blame anyone for keeping albums they end up with , Time = $$$$ they are wasting peoples time & have terrible customer service , it would probably take a month to get them shipped back & who knows what would happen when they received them ? they may turn around & re-charge you for the lp's saying you received them ...
    If they can't run service properly then the blame is on them ..........

Spitfire likes this.
  13. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I'm with you on this one. There's a price to pay for bad customer service. Popmarket is run by the record company, correct? I think they can afford to absorb the occasional loss due to their own lack of communication. If it was a small business and someone's livelihood, I would probably feel differently, but I have little sympathy for the major labels.

Davidmk5 and Spitfire like this.
  14. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I never had a problem with the old Popmarket. But since Sony seemed to outsource the operation, their customer service is wretched. I've emailed them over 10 times since June trying to exchange an Elvis Costello LP that I thought was going to be a MFS,L, but wasn't, and I've only gotten automated responses that they are looking into it. I ordered a Rolling Stones Vault LP back in August, the order is still in Pending mode. How long are you suppose to wait?, its been over 4 months. I'm not looking for free product, but a little customer service would be appreciated. I'm tired of getting blown off, and getting billed for service they cannot fulfill.

15. ggergm

There is no easy answer to the questions raised in the above discussion. As somebody who has been on both sides of this fence, I have to admit I've never been consistent with my solutions.

As a retailer, when it came to returns, 99% of the time I took my customer's side. It wasn't a matter of karma but just good business. I was an easy mark on offering refunds or exchanges well outside of our official policy if I thought the customer was being honest with me. Refunding a $100 purchase, or even a $3,000 one, was easier than finding a new customer, especially in a small town. Maybe once a year I realized the customer thought this was a game he or she wanted to win and I'd put up my backbone there. I was willing to lose that customer. They weren't good for business, anyway.

With my suppliers I'd occasionally get double shipped or received items not on the invoice or packing slip. I always called the supplier to tell them of their error. Sometimes they'd take no action and I'd call them a second time. If at that point they still didn't correct the situation, then it's their fault. I'd done my best. Every now and then money does fall out of the sky.

I've experienced Pop Market's lack of communication. They have been that way for years. Paypal disputes or credit card chargebacks are often the only avenue to address poor customer service. If you feel tainted by the outcome, then give a donation to charity for the ill-gotten amount. That's the way I've soothed my guilty conscience.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Tjazz, Davidmk5, lightbulb and 2 others like this.
  16. ggergm

@hutchenstance, I appreciate your moralistic attitude above and sympathize with your problems as an Internet seller. My actions would tend to align with yours. But this is not a question of ethics. It's a question of business. Do what's right for your business and you'll do what's right for your customer. As close as we get to morals here is the Golden Rule but I don't consider that morals. It's simply the best way to live.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  17. hutchenstance

I agree with you.. but if a buyer has this happen.. gets the item and keeps it and is still angry at the seller then he really should not buy any more from that seller.. to continue to buy from that seller, continue to complain publicly and continue to receive items for free is reprehensible...

it is one thing if it happens once but to do it repeatedly.. the buyer should paypal the seller the money or figure out a way to pay for it.. . to assume that the seller is big and should make allowances and they deserve it.. and yet you continue to buy from them.. I don't get that.. I certainly don't get bragging about it on a public forum.... its nothing to be proud of let me just say that.

18. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

FWIW, I had 5 orders with them over the past year, and had no issues at all. Well, one was a bit delayed in shipping by a week or so. I inquired and it shipped right away.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

There is a return address on the package. The one time I had to send something back (I'd already received a refund), that is what I did.

I had to pay return shipping back (media mail is cheap), but it clears my conscience and I just don't buy from them anymore.

Also credit card companies have the addresses of all the vendors they accept money from. It may not be the physical warehouse, and might just be an office. But if you use that address they provide you with and give them the tracking that is good enough for them to quickly close a dispute.

hutchenstance and ARK like this.
  20. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Exactly. When an online business fails to respond to multiple emails over the course of several weeks, they deserve to take a loss, AFAIC.

21. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

My shipment of Both Sides of Midnight arrived. Was surprised to find that they shipped what is apparently a deluxe edition that includes the standard 33rpm lp that I expected, but also a 2lp 45rpm version. I haven't spun either yet, but they look like nice pressings, from Pallas.

Still on sale
    for $17.99 (before any codes) and an even better deal, unless this was just a one-time slip-up on their part..

JMAC likes this.
  22. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Score!

That, and all of the Black Lion Sets are excellent.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

true, but i was thinking more about the price. it seems insane.

24. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Anyone got their Zep BBC box from last month when it went on sale.
    I have heard nothing since I ordered it.

25. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

I got mine, but I had to send them an email. They responded said they didn't know what happened. They created a new order. I got it in about a week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.