Sony PS-LX2 Turntable - Upgrade ideas for Cartridge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Grim177, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grim177

Grim177 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all :)

This is a model from about 1981. I'm thinking about upgrading the cartridge and was wondering if anybody could offer me any advise on compatible models for roughly £50?

I've found this picture of one with an Audio Technica AT101EP.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/view_images.php?cat=Analog&catnick=analog&cfid=92907&image_id=612890

I've only ever changed the stylus and balanced mine before so I'm going to sound very naive but wouldn't attaching that require some kind of modification? It looks so different to the stock one :confused:

Thanks for any help :)

2. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I used to have that TT and an AT cartridge that looks identical to the size and shape of the one in that picture. It was fine for very flat records but the cartridge would often bottom out, i.e. it would come into contact with the record surface. I don't know if there's a height adjustment for the arm. Needless to say, I quickly switched to a different cartridge.

Recently I gave my PS-LX2 to my son and fitted it with the AT cartridge that came with my AT PL120 TT, and it works fine.

3. Blue Nile Fan

Blue Nile Fan Forum Resident

I had an PS-LX5 and installed a AT440ML, a favorite of this forum. It sounded great! I think yours is a direct drive - if so DO NOT get a Grado - it will hum like mad. I originally had a Grado and it took me quite awhile to diagnose the problem (was a TT newbie at the time). It is very easy to line up the cartridge - use a protactor available online - no problem.

Have fun!

Blue Nile Fan

4. Grim177

Thanks guys :)

Is there any kind of guide for replacing the Cartridges here of elsewhere for this kind of turntable? As I say, I've never done anything other than balance and replace the stylus till now and I'd be a tad worried about damaging it or the cartridge.

5. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

The following is sort of a quick & dirty list of tools and steps to get you set up. However, I highly recommend getting a copy of Michael Fremer's DVD (http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=29608), as it's very thorough and entertaining as well. I don't know whether there's a PAL version or if it's only NTSC.

Essential tools:
    - Patience is the main thing
    - Good lighting
    - A magnifying glass, maybe, depending on your vision...I see best at arm's length with no corrective lenses, ymmv
    - Make sure the stylus guard or cover is in place while you're changing cartridges
    - A small screwdriver
    - An alignment tool such as this: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=45007 There are free .pdf guages if you do a search, but I don't trust them because I don't know if my printer will get it exactly the right size.
    - A stylus pressure guage. The dial on the tonearm weight is imprecise. It may get you close, but you should get something like this: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=9580
    - Patience

I would suggest doing this when you're wide awake, and don't have any caffeine or alcohol, etc. before getting started.

1) Make sure the stylus guard/cover is on.
    2) You can remove the headshell on that tonearm by unscrewing the sleeve behind the headshell.
    3) Disconnect the wires from the cartridge. You may want to use a small needle-nose pliers for this.
    4) Unscrew the cartridge from the headshell.

The remaining steps require a lot of patience:

5) Mount the new cartridge. Don't tighten the screws completely yet.
    6) Screw the headshell/cartridge assembly back onto the tonearm.
    7) Attach the headshell wires. The wires are color coded and the cartridge should come with instructions as to which wire goes with which lead. Push the connectors on; do not solder them. A small pair of needle-nose pliers might be necessary.
    8) Align the cartridge using the alignment guage. This is where the magnifying glass really comes in handy. Line up the stylus tip as indicate by the guage. Then line up the cantilever (i.e., the shaft the needle is mounted to) with the lines on the guage. Don't make the mistake of lining up the cartridge body. It's the cantilever that needs to be lined up.
    9) Once the cartridge is aligned you can tighten the screws. Be careful not to move the cartridge out of alignment when you tighten the screws.
    10) Set the stylus pressure using the guage. If you want to you can balance the tonearm first and use the dial on the tonearm weight to get you in the neighbourhood.
    11) Put on some records and enjoy!

6. Grim177

Excellent! Thank you very much for your help :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.