Sony UBP-X800 UHD 4K Universal Player Target $90 Clearance

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Chris Gerhard, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jabrow75

jabrow75 Forum Resident

If you still have your player, try the calibration procedure posted here: SA-CD.net - how to calibrate sony scd-ce595 or scd-c2000es to re-enable hybrid SACD playback? , that is what got my SCD-CE595 reading hybrid sacds again.

dee likes this.
  2. dee

dee Senior Member

3. dee

dee Senior Member

I have 1 somewhere, will fimd and try that too, thanks!

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My closest Target is showing as in stock. I guess I gotta run over there first thing in the morning when they open.

My amp / AVR does not have HDMI but it woun't hurt to have an extra player stashed away anyway.

I wounder if the Sony HDMI could be routed through my Oppo's input, and from there come out to the amp via RCA? I like getting creative to solve unsolvable problems.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I found an 5-dsic SACD changer at the thrift store for $25 that would not play the multichannel layers of SACD. It would display Not-Hybrid and just play the CD layer I think. I took off the top, and got a q-tip with 99% alcohol and cleaned the laser beam eye, and now it reads all layers perfectly. It was dust on laser. Yippy-Yay Yeah!!!

longdist01, Reese and dee like this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I read a few hundred reviews on this player just now. Did you know that about 20% of the buyers got a lemon that freezes up during movies requiring the unit to be unplugged to get it to acknowledge the remote control? Only 60% of the reviews like the player unconditionally. It seems that random units are lemons. The only good news is the lemons are lemons right outta the box from the start and the frozen screen or black screens of death are present right out of the box, or within that first movie attempted to be played. One should know if they got a good (or bad) one fairly quickly. I still might take my chances and grab one if they are not saying "No Returns" on it.

Sony knows all about the issues with some of the units made of the UBP-X800. Lots of unhappy people out there about this unit.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Target website for my nearest location says "in stock" but is priced at $299.99 online.

I think that the in-store price must be $89.00 - they are just not advertising it as such. They open in 45 min. so I'll be there.

8. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Senior Member Thread Starter

The UBP-X800 has digital coaxial output, probably what you are calling RCA unless you mean analog output. If you do have digital audio input on your AVR, it will not handle the advanced audio codecs over coaxial digital audio cable such as SACD, DVD-A, DTS-HD MA, Dolby True HD, Lossless PCM 5.1, etc. but will handle the legacy audio codecs Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM.

[​IMG]

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thank you and I think you are trying to be of help. But if you read my post more carefully I am acknowledging the AVR that I own's shortcomings (no HDMI input). AND: No analog / RCA output from the Sony. So I proposed a short term solution, and that is HDMI to my Oppo. And see what I can pump through that unit as pass-through.

I was never confused about what audio (not even stereo L&R RCA) is not coming out of the Sony 800.

PS the AVR is an old Onkyo with nice 100w x 6 chan. The Oppo's HDMI input (one is taken by music server PC) not used is a rather great idea I thought for the Sony's output. No?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  10. Chris Gerhard

You stated RCA, coaxial digital connection is the same connection, which is why I posted a picture and responded with unless you meant analog. No legal device in the US will convert HDMI to analog output for connection to analog recorders, that is a violation of the DMCA.

11. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Can confirm Whitehall DOES NOT have this in stock. :realmad:

tingly likes this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The Oppo 105D is a rather featured player. It does indeed accept HDMI input. And is does indeed decode DSD. And it outputs analog 6 chan through RCAs. So, with that said, it's not a stretch to think it's does output analog.

I think you are mistaken, and the outputing pure digital streams from HDMI is what is illegal or impossible. Analog output is not so odd, rare, or illegal. They don't want pure rich un-resampled digital output, but an analog converted signal is doable. I've actually done it. I captured an analog wide-screen picture from a BluRay disc using those small HDMI splitter boxes, and then HDMI converter jack to RCA, and finally to Canopus ADVC A/D capture device. I got around the handshake, or my boxes did it for me. It's doable. And the Oppo is your's and my friend I swear.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I did? Where and why would I say that? Because they are not. I keep saying that I need 6 RCA analogs to my Onkyo inputs. Onkyo has six inputs btw. Maybe because I never said that the AVR has six inputs, you just figured it had none?

14. Chris Gerhard

The message I quoted and responded to, I didn't quote or read anything else which is why I stated unless you mean analog, that statement didn't include analog.

15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Thanks for saving me the drive!

16. Chris Gerhard

I didn't state impossible, I stated a violation of the DMCA which would make such a device illegal in the USA. I don't have an Oppo 105D but would bet the house it won't accept a HDMI input of a copy protected disc and convert that to 5.1 analog output. Are you actually reading my statements before responding critically of them?

17. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

But I was gonna take you out for lunch! :realmad:

hutlock likes this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Chris, I am the one who used the word "impossible" and I never said you did. Why would you defend yourself for something I never said you said? How odd, huh? I think you are simply in an argumentative mood. No other reason I can think of.

Yeah, you bringing up "coaxial" connection as if I ever referred to it was where you got lost.

I never mentioned it because it's digital so far as I know, and I've been referring to analog the whole time. And I am specifically referring to 5.1 analog in on my old Onkyo. It has no HDMI.

Ok you can have the last word, I know you will want it. I won't reply.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I went to Target thsi morning after seeing it listed as in stock online. They were all out and had not yet updated the website. Had they had any, I was going to message you from the store and ask if you'd like one bought and sent to you. But no go.

Listen, I think we are both better off finding a newish used Pioneer on ebay. One with more outputs, and more solid service reputation. I think $100 players are going to be the norm soon. Or another Sony closeout on a different 4K player, maybe just a few bucks more. The Sony UBP X800 is a very risky purchase after everything I read. Chances are if I grabbed one for you, we'd be making arrangements for a return within a month.

hutlock likes this.
  20. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Thanks Jeff - I appreciate the effort!

21. I bought one of these players in Nov 2017 (from Amazon for $150) and initially had a few issues (some Blu-rays not playing, occasional freeze) but at some point an update seems to have fixed the issues and it’s been problem-free since. YMMV of course, and I do think you’re right in that it’s just a matter of time when another player goes on close-out for a good price.

22. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I bought one of these off Massdrop back in 2017 for $129. In all the time I’ve had it, I’ve never had it lock up, and I use it almost daily. If you’re on the fence regarding reliability, I’d say it’s worth taking the risk at $90.

bru87tr likes this.
  23. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Brickseek said a Target near me didn't have one (at least not for $90) but when I visited, the store did have one for $150. They wouldn't reduce it. One employee said it was marked down to $150 because it was a return.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

When I saw it was on the website as available, price shown was $299.00. I was prepared to haggle. But if it was a return I'd pass anyway.

I was a dollar and a day late. But yeah, that deal had expired.

25. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

RattleByte Technologies - Sony UBP-X800 - Blu-Ray Multiregion Modification

I don't have any experience with these guys, but they do seem to have region-free mod kits for most players, and they offer free worldwide shipping.

As for "simple", it should be, as long as you don't have an aversion to opening the player up and connecting a jumper on the mainboard, as is required to enable region-selectable Blu-ray playback on any player.

Chris Gerhard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.