Sorry but the whole 1990s Music makes me cringe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Good Guy, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

No need to apologize. But expect an opinion, which turned out to be very unpopular, to be questioned since you did publicly share said opinion.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  3. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Just curious: do you own a lot of cats?

Dan Steely and tkl7 like this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's a response to Ralph B. I think Raunch is right. I'm considered a Classical Music Expert by Classical music experts and I know that I haven't heard everything 'classical' and never will. I also know there are musical areas that I hesitate returning to such as opera, further limiting my knowledge base. I have lots of free time and lots of records, there's probably a hundred I haven't got around to playing. And even though there are tracks I've heard a zillion times by now, I still crave "Late In The Evening" and "Takin' It Too The Streets" in spite of all those Finnish folk music albums I haven't got around to hearing yet. There are real limits to how much and how varied one's base of musical knowledge can be.

Billy Infinity and NaturalD like this.
  5. The Good Guy

Whilst reading the replies I am listening to a lovely LP copy of SF Sorrow by the Pretty Things . There isn't a single peace of 90s music that could could compete with this forward thinking album!! (Not even Tilt)

gramfan and Emmett66 like this.
  6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its ultimately just opinions. People who like the 90's have dislikes for other periods, genres, and acts.

Basically it all boils down to people claiming their collection of music interests are: pick one or more: broader/better/deeper/cooler/more important/more influential/more lyrically mature/technically better/diverse/original....and on & on.

Emmett66 likes this.
  7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Why get personal? Seems uncalled for.

sami and Emmett66 like this.
  8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right

9. Raunchnroll

Better be the mono mix.

sami, notesofachord and Emmett66 like this.
  10. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I'm a 60's-70's rock fan, but find good bands or albums from every era to enjoy. In the 90's, Pearl Jam's albums up through Yield, Radiohead's albums, U2 Achtung Baby, Counting Crow's first album, Throwing Muses the Real Ramona, Sheryl Crow Globe Sessions. It still listen to those albums. In fact, I found the early 90's more fertile than the 80's.

11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

• [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

12. The Good Guy

It is the Mono mix & sounds excellent & is sounding better than my well mastered 1999 mono cd.

13. The Good Guy

Why does owning a lot of cats means I find 90s music no good then?

14. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Nevermind. The funny thing is you're not necessarily wrong about 90s production and how the music hasn't retained the same sense of nostalgic value as other decades. But you make these blanket statements as if you're some sort of authority on the subject and eventually it just sounds like you're ranting. For every album you name drop as being some classic from the 60s and 70s there's a 90s album that someone else will name drop for the very same reasons. You say SF Sorrow is better than anything in the 90s, and plenty of people would say give me OK Computer or Nevermind or In The Airplane Over the Sea or Loveless or Pinkerton over SF Sorrow any day of the week. And then you come along and say, "But SF Sorrow is so much more ahead of it's time and the production is better and that's a fact!!!" And that's when everyone realizes your opinion has little to no value because you just sound like some angry old person waving a cane and trying to tell everyone the music they like isn't any good. Plus, there's more to music than production. The 90s was known for having tremendous songwriting. Take Petty's Wildflowers for instance. Just a fantastic album with fantastic songs and I don't mind the production at all. In any case, production is only part of the picture.

Robin L, Rocketdog, wolfram and 4 others like this.
  15. Some of it makes me cringe. Just like some music from the 60's. 70's and 80's also makes me cringe. There is good, bad and mediocre in every decade.

16. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Rod Stewart, Paul McCartney & Robert Plant made some amazing music in the 90s.

17. The Good Guy

Thanks for all your replies. If you must know the thread came about reading about Underworld & remembering I was mug enough to buy Born Slippy & I was thinking how cringeworthy that record was (my opinion like you are entitled to like MMm Bop by Hanson whatever) then I thought " Hold on . A lot of 90s music sucked why not put it out there?" so I did ha ha ha

18. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

"In your opinion".

nbakid2000 and ralphb like this.
  19. Raunchnroll

None of us are limited by eras or genres. We choose what we want to pursue. I'm sure most of us here value exposure and depth, but these are relative. Exposure to what? Numbers of genres? Or how deep to go into a couple favorite genres? Both require exposure; exposure is dependent on time.

Theres probably more minutes of music being created in one week than we have minutes left in our lives. If you're 28 years old how much of the last 70 years of the worlds music can you get meaningful exposure to? I doubt even 1%.

Robin L, shaboo and Emmett66 like this.
  20. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right.

21. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

Listen. Listen carefully now here's the answer:
    It rhymes with axe.
    Why, it's those personal acts.
    Those personal acts.
    Those suicide pacts.
    Those carelessly stored razorblades in the hands of small children.
    It's my face smeared on the pavement.
    It's every day.

22. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

Hi :) to the O.P maybe its just not to you liking. There were loads of good albums in the 90's (certainly here in the UK anyway) I had a similar problem with 80's music when I was at high school; -Duran Duran and the like. But I discovered all these great 80's pop albums in the last couple of years. Maybe give it some time?

23. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

Enjoy music for what it is. People who think a certain decade of music is bad its their opinion.
    I like music because how it makes me feel reguardless of the year it came out.
    Finding a new band from any decade to me is like the most fasinating thing (being a lover of music)

24. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I went to a used vinyl place with some pre-dominately 80's era vinyl to trade in. The only 2 he wanted were the 2 70's era albums. He said they don't sell. But I digress. I imagine if it was The Dead Kennedy s it would have sold.:)

25. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Now, if you said "a lot of" or even "most", I would understand but "the whole"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.