Sorry but the whole 1990s Music makes me cringe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Good Guy, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The thing I like about the 90's is that we got so many good albums across so many different genres.

2. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Hip-hop in the early to mid 90s reached it's peak. Thing rock music from 67-72.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

As if he's even scratched the surface of music from the 1990s.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  5. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

To be honest, same applies to me, prob'ly that's the reason I'm not that big on 1990s music either. Damn, there's just so much music out there you can't embrace it all.
    :shrug:

Robin L likes this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Exactly, so you may as well zero in on the very best you can find regardless of when it was recorded

7. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I never got the "Excuse" many use about still trying to discover stuff from the 60's and 70's and totally avoiding great stuff from other decades.

While the 60s had a nice share of great stuff, it is not an endless well, move on, find the cream of every decade!!

Lost In The Flood, Echo and Robin L like this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Some people have limited time/money to devote to this hobby if they're very busy with their career or their family life. If that's the case, why waste time trying to force yourself to embrace music that isn't working for you? This is supposed to be a pleasurable pursuit, so no one should feel an obligation to try get into everything just for the sake of being well rounded. The only caveat that I would add, however, is that if one has chosen to only focus on one kind of music in their life, maybe they should refrain from making negative comments about other styles from other time periods that they haven't taken the time to understand and appreciate.

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Thank you.:righton:

10. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

It's not JUST the music. It can be production techniques, sounds of particular equipment, places and yes, that time !

Like someone who might like old Chess recordings...that may not be able to be reproduced nowadays or even much after the 50s and and 60s. The style of blues to come out of it is fairly unique and if one wants to milk that cow for all it's worth...great !

Very few have kept certain old stylings of recordings...not music per se...but the sound. Old tape decks...old microphones...the ambience of the studio etc...

Many things have their time and place and can provide a deep well of discovery in their uniqueness.

11. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

In the 1960's, I was listening to Big Brother and the Holding Co, Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe and the Fish, Bob Dylan, etc. My mother said that I was listening to "Commie music". I guess every generation has their tastes.

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

This is such a bizarre argument and I don't even know what point you're combating here. I've seen it used by Scott S./"Father Time" before too and I still don't understand what that argument means.

thebunk likes this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Or back—I'm finding Green and Grey label Capitols from the 50's in the bins these days, Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra LPs in fine condition with great engineering.

kevintomb likes this.
  14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not really. There's only so many hours in the day whereas there's more recorded music out there than time to hear it all. I'm nearly sixty, have heard very little of the music you favor. On the other hand, there's a good chance that you have never heard a great deal of the music that matters to me. It's simple math, there are only so many hours in the day and only so much time one can spend listening to music.

15. nbakid2000

Yes, OK....there's only so many hours in the day. WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING? WHAT IS IT A RESPONSE TO? WHAT IS IT A COUNTERPOINT TO?

Scott S. said something like, "oh, no matter how much you think you've heard, there's always more out there that's better." ....like...so? I don't get what point this is supposed to drive home over another point. That for some reason, I shouldn't enjoy what I'm listening to because I could have it so much better? (regardless of the fact that if I do get "better" things, there will also be "better" things I haven't heard yet)

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It has a lot to do with "Sorry but the whole 1990s Music makes me cringe". It has to do with how one spends one time. You have immersed yourself in a lot of music that a lot of people haven't and will not hear. I have heard a lot of music that you will never hear. You should enjoy whatever music you enjoy. The Op says he doesn't like music from the 1990s, I suspect you think the OP is crazy. I would hope that there's something "better" out there, that's why I'm still searching. But it really does boil down to how one chooses to spend one's time. I've got a feeling you're not going to immerse yourself in Post-Webern serialism, post-Albert Ayler 'Outside Jazz' or Bulgarian Choral music. I doubt I will ever be on Indie's cutting edge.

Billy Infinity and dkmonroe like this.
  17. nbakid2000

I still don't understand your point. The point we should be focused on is that the 90s had a lot of good music that either a) the OP hasn't heard or b) just doesn't like.

Obviously the OP is not an expert in 90s music. I don't see what that has to do with "people who are listening the latest music not being experts on older music" [which, as we've already established, just isn't true] or "no one can really be an expert in a field of music unless they devote their entire listening lives to it" or whatever.

18. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

To me, 90's music is OLDER MUSIC....I mean we are talking about 25 years ago almost..!

When I was in junior high school in the late 70's, oldies was music from the late 50s to mid 60s.

not much over 20 years prior.

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Why? Should I insist that everyone hear Bulgarian Choral music [which, as far as I'm concerned beats Pop music from the 90s]? No.
    Who said "their entire listening lives"? There's X number of hours in our lives and X to the Power of X to the power of X hours of music recorded. One has to have priorities, determine what they would rather spend time listening to. What's wrong for the OP might be right for you. But "Should"? Don't you think you Should enjoy Beethoven's Eroica? Don't you think you Should enjoy Guy Lombardo? Don't you think you Should enjoy G.W.A.R.? I recall Lenny Bruce saying that Should is the worst word in the English language and I think the man has a valid point.

20. nbakid2000

The point is: I don't care if the guy hasn't heard a lot of 90s music. That's his deal. It doesn't affect me either way. He shouldn't be proclaiming that he's some sort of expert on it though in that case. "the whole of music"

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Well of course not, nobody is going to encompass "the whole of music", that's just stupid. And that's my point.

22. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

redeeming elements of the nineties:
    Beck
    Cake
    Blurr
    Mark Kozelek/Red House Painters

Bob Dylan & Neil Young releases

oh, and Faith No More

23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I'm listening to the Legendary Pink Dots right now, Crushed Velvet Apocalypse.
    I think 1990. These guys are great and made good albums through that time frame.
    A lot of metal bands made good albums in the 90's. DEATH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you look there is a lot of good music to find it wasn't played on the radio though.
    I didn't read this entire thread but I'm sure someone had to mention Fugazi ?
    Another great band that put out excellent albums in the 90's

24. Sean Sandoval

Sean Sandoval Senior Member

90's was hit and miss for me. Grunge got boring pretty fast, but indie rock was making a nice run for it post pixies and nirvana. Classic and country rock was getting popular again during the nineties too. Neil young, emmy lou harris, lucinda Williams, wilco, whiskeytown, nick cave etc made great music then. Johnny cash rejuvinated his career with the american recordings too. And not last but not least, Jeff buckley released the wonderful Grace album in the mid-nineties. :)

25. John54

John54 Senior Member

It may not be an endless well but most of the great songs I'm finding on Youtube that I've never heard before were from the '60s:

Margaret Mandolph - If You Ever Need Me
    The Ashes - Every Little Prayer
    Keith Colley - Welcome Home Baby
    Mer-Lyn - You're the Only Boy I'll Ever Love
    Debbie Rollins - Don't Let It Get You Girl
    Susan Rafey - Let Me Tell You
    The Avant-Garde - Yellow Beads
    Jan and Dan - Like a Summer Rain

... to name a few.

There have been some from the '70s, like 1905 by Shona Laing, and from the '80s. like Benefit of the Doubt by Crystal Set. The 1990s were when my listening started dropping off, so I would probably do well to investigate it further ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.