Sound Quality/Production on George Michael's First Two Solo Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

:unhunh:

2. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

Finally got down to listening to both Faith and Listen Without Prejudice on CD... yup, I got to agree that Faith sounds better soundwise... Listen Without Prejudice is more thin and lacks body for certain tracks... fantastic music though! Perhaps the vinyl's better?

The first track "Praying for Time" certainly gives the impression that the album is extremely thin sounding, perhaps the worst offending song soundwise, however, when it goes to a track like "They Won't Go When I Go", it sounds fuller... or maybe it's the acoustic instrumentation that helps?

3. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

I just resurrected this thread because I'd like to know which version of Faith you guys listening/referring to?

I see that there's a general concensus (above) that the album was recorded fairly well and that the CD has warmth. I owned the cassette in the 1980s, and am now trying to figure out which CD to get.

So far, these are the two which have caught my attention:

1) Columbia (U.S.) UPC: 074644086720

2) CBS Records/Manufactured by Epic/Sony Inc. (Tokyo, Japan)
    CD Catalogue #: 32•8P-231

Or is there another version I should look for?

4. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Top notch, IMO. Seek out the Japan 1st pressings for incredible sound!

5. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Yet another resurrection for this thread. How is the U.S. vinyl? Is that the best way to get this album? Is there better vinyl? Is the CD better?

Ed

6. Nostaljack

7. Nostaljack

...and all the rappers in the top ten, please allow me to bump thee.

I really need some decent advice here. Can anyone hook me up?

Ed

8. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

Are you talking about Faith, LWP, or both? I have the vinyl of Faith and have heard the CD and both sound very good, IMO.

I don't think LWP sounds that bad. It doesn't have the big, jump out of your speakers sound of Faith but it still sounds OK. I'm sure the thinner and relaxed sound was intentional as he didn't want this to be a pop album in the same way Faith was.

9. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

I don't know, I put LWP on my CD player the other day to listen to "Praying for Time", although the production (on the whole album) is a bit dated (seems like there was reverb for ALL instruments and vocals and then they ran the master tape through some more reverb) but it sounded quite nice, and I heard it real loud.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The sound quality of "Faith" alone should shut up the anti-digital crowd!

alexanderino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.