Soupy Sales' NY WNEW Channel 5 Show--from video!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chip TRG, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I thought this guy was just a novelty singer on that September 65 Ed Sullivan Show. Had no idea he had a show, must've not of been aired outside the U.S.

2. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

I remember seeing him when his show was called “Lunch with Soupy Sales” in about 1960. Apparently he did those from L.A. at that time. In the waning years of local kids’ shows, I thought his take was hilarious.

3. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

The show was syndicated nationally by Screen Gems, I believe on kinescopes, not 2-inch tape. I believe at some time in the 80s, several dozen episodes were found in a warehouse. The guy who had them passed away so I've no idea what became of them.

4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Funny story about that show. Someone I know was trying to locate them at ABC and was having them search the archives. Looking under Soupy Sales, nothing could be found. Finally, the person asked ABC to look up Lunch with Soupy Sales and the woman responded, oh, we've got a ton of those!

5. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I have a DVD with a few of those shows:

https://www.amazon.com/Soupy-Sales-Living-Black-White/dp/B000I2J6EG

6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

YES! I'd even add Dr. Demento and Weird Al to the corrupting of my young, fragile mind. :winkgrin:

I am just old enough to remember Soupy's "comeback" show in the late-70s. That's when I discovered him. Then, I discovered Floyd on NJ's UHF Channel 50 and U-68. (Thankfully I was able to receive those channels in Brooklyn.) I even got a drawing posted on Floyd's wall in one episode. I remember they were busting on "Poldark" at the time, and my drawing contained something like "Don't watch Poldark!", which spurred some off-camera laughter. I felt 10-feet tall that day. Wish I had a tape of it.

I actually have several airchecks of Soupy Sales's midday radio show on WNNNNNNNNNNBC. I really need to digitize those suckers. I never see any of that stuff posted on the internets.

Exit Flagger and Splungeworthy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.