Speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zonka, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zonka

zonka Forum Resident Thread Starter

I listen to digital files from my Oppo 103 to my Marantz 1608 as a pro to my Parasound v2250 v2. Our listening room is a great room attached to the kitchen - a pretty big room (about 20 ft x 40ft all the way to the back of the kitchen, with vaulted ceilings and some pretty thick carpet). We sit about 9 feet from the entertainment center.

Currently, I've got KEF Q100s and an SVS sub. I like the KEFs but I've got the upgrade bug. They play loud enough in my large room but it is borderline - I'd like one that might get a bit louder. Also, since I'm using a sub the bookshelf speaker's ability to hit the low frequencies isn't as important to me - I want as nice a highs and mids as my budget can afford. I'd like to keep it at or below $1000.

My perfect solution would be the Silverline Minuet Grands but they'r twice my budget! I'm looking at the SVS Ultras but beyond that I'm not sure (I would love the KEF LS50s but with small children the lack of speaker grills would be like catnip to them). I've researched so much I arrived at analysis paralysis....

I would love to hear some suggestions for bookshelf speakers in my price range with the best mids and highs I can afford.

I sincerely appreciate any help you can give!
    Thanks

2. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

If you're not adverse to a little DIY, I would take a look at these: Seas Loki MKII Coaxial Kit Parts Only - Each
    They can be purchased with the appropriate cabinets shipped to you for approx $800, they are front ported, so placement isn't really crucial, and they sound awesome, especially augmented by the SVS sub. I absolutely love mine with tube power and vinyl. They use Seas drivers which sound way above their price point.

3. zonka

I think I'll check that out:) Never even considered that was an option.
    Thanks!

4. Old Audiophool

You won't be sorry you looked. Great sound for the money. I'm powering them with 45 tube watts.

5. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

You might consider the less expensive Silverline Minuet Supreme speakers or the offerings in that price range from PSB, Elac, Ascend Acoustics, SVS, and a million others. If you're not limited to stand mounts, you have even more choices. I get why you have analysis paralysis. There are so many good speakers being made at every price point, it's tough.

As long as you like the KEFs you have well enough, you have the luxury of taking your time to decide. Even if you can't get a home audition, it'd be nice to get a chance to hear before buying. Just because other people like something, doesn't mean you will, so some sort of audition increases your chance of being happy with what you get. Or buy from somewhere with a decent return policy so you're just out for return shipping. You can also try and contact local sellers via Craigslist and Audiogon about auditioning what they're selling, if they have anything that interests you. A lot of people don't mind doing that and just want to make a sale and have a happy buyer.

I'd also consider just keeping what you have until you can afford what you want. If it's not too much of a hardship, maybe put $100/month away and have your dream speakers within a year. Just a thought. I hate buying and selling gear, and speakers and turntables are my least favorite to ship. There's something to be said for buying it right the first time, rather than taking the depreciation on the one that you settled for before biting the bullet.

Whatever you decide, happy hunting.

6. zonka

Thanks for your thoughts - good point all. Interestingly, I contacted Silverline and it was suggested to me that the Minuets are best in rooms 400 Sq ft or less and the Grands for 600 or less. This seemed odd to me because there isn't a huge difference between those values. My room is bigger than both when adding in the kitchen (though we sit only 9 feet or so from my equipment) so he kind of scared me off the Minuet Supremes. If I could be sure the Supremes would be as loud as my KEFS I'd go for them right away (I asked them but they didn't know).
    Thanks again!

7. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I forgot about the loudness issue. Your room is huge, even taking into account the 9 foot listening distance. I have a small stand-mounted speaker that sounds amazing in a small listening room and lost in my living room. Your amplifier has ample power, so that's not the issue. Honestly, I think you should consider going to a floor-standing speaker, something with a larger cavity, larger or multiple woofers. Your KEFs are rated to 107dB, but it's a small stand-mount with a 5.25" woofer. It can only pressurize so much air. Ditto for the Minuet Supreme Plus or Grand. I suspect this adage applies in your case.

[​IMG]

The Silverline Prelude Plus would do better in your space. Or any other floor-standing speaker that appeals to you. Think ELAC/PSB/KEF/Polk/Infinity/Monitor Audio. You need a bigger cabinet with either more or larger woofers if you need more loudness. Because most floor-standers are tall and thin, they tend to go for more woofers, rather than larger, but they'll have two or three 5" woofers instead of just the one.

For some reason, most of the larger stand mounted speakers with larger woofers these days seem to be pricier than $1-2k. The exception is in the active monitor sphere. I do know of people using those JBL LSR308s in their living rooms and they're happy with them. For $500/pair, you get a lot of bang for your buck, but looks might be an issue. Oh, another exception is from Human Speakers. I haven't heard them but owned a pair of Direct Acoustics Silent Speakers that they manufacture. They seem to make good products and might be worth contacting if you need to stay stand mount. I haven't heard these models, but the Model 81 and 81+ both use 8" woofers.

Model 81

Whether you'd like them or if they'd go loud enough for you, I couldn't say, but it's an alternative. My larger stand mounted speaker has an 8" woofer and it still sounds better to me in the smaller room, rather than my 30x20 living room. Everyone has their own preferences and their own listening level, but I think you need to go bigger than one 5.25" woofer to get louder in your space.

8. Old Audiophool

I still think that my suggestion of the Seas Loki is a good one. Mine are in a 20x20 room that is open to the rest of the house with a 12' going to 18' ceiling. They are powered with 45wpc tubes augmented with a SVS sealed sub and they play loud enough to drive you out of the room without distortion. A good pair of speaker stands are essential. Good hunting.

9. I think speaker choice is very personal. Given your room size etc i hope you can find a decent dealer who will allow you to home audition various models. Only then can you be sure of audio happiness

10. timind

timind phorum rezident

Manimal likes this.
  11. zonka

Lots to consider! Thanks for the tips.

12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Music Direct has Focal 9 (900) series on closeout for $499. An absolute steal and perfect for what you are looking for.

I have 2 pair of older 900s (both the Bookshelf and Towers). Incredible performance. Even at their full retail.

At this discount, I don't know that they can be beat...also leaves you $500 for other upgrades (Cables, Stands , ???).

13. zonka

That does sound like a great deal.

14. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I have 908s in my 2nd system. 918s in my primary system.

...and I still had to talk myself out of buying another pair at that price!

H8SLKC and Manimal like this.
  15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Active speakers would be my suggestion. A different way of doing things, but...

H8SLKC likes this.
  16. timind

timind phorum rezident

17. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

If the LS50 is not an option, you might consider KEF's new Q150 or Q350. I'm skeptical if the Q150 (or Q350) is a step up from Q100...maybe a different tunings, though, rear-ported. I haven't heard the Q150 or Q350.

The Revel Concerta 2 M16 and the Dynaudio M20 are interesting.

If you like your SVS sub, the SVS Ultra bookshelf seems like a logical match and a step up.

timind likes this.
  18. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Uh hell yes to this! I have the LSA Signatures with ring tweeter and crossover upgrades. These speakers were a "darling" for a minute then fell off the map. I can tell you these speakers are "fine" sounding and a heck of a bargain now that they are sold direct.
    Keep the old "best of (insert year)" magazines. How quickly we forget the darlings for the "new girl". These speaker are very nice.

timind likes this.
  19. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Yea, not sure if they really fit the OP needs, but for a relatively small room, coupled with some good solid stands, that Focal 905 looks to be one of the best deals around right now (and it's not just at Music Direct). I've used Focal drivers in some of my DIY speakers in the past, and always really liked their inverted titanium oxide dome tweeter, and this new version looks to be even better. I'd go for the gloss black, the walnut looks fake (I think it's plastic wrap). In fact, I just may get a pair myself ...

20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I have Focals and a buddy has some, they are nice speakers fo sho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.