Speaker suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Musician95616, Sep 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I figure that this is the place to ask. I'm thinking about upgrading my speakers and was wondering what forum members might recommend? My budget is $4000-5000, but figure I can probably secure a good deal via Audiogon or eBay.

I currently use Vienna Acoustic Mozart speakers and love the sound. My amp is a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated Amp (running KT150 tubes with Mullard CV4003s in the front stage). Turntable is a Rega Planar 6 with Ania MC. Phonostage is Rega Aria. Also running two sub.

I listen to predominantly rock/pop, along with a healthy dose of jazz and some classical.

Where should I go next from Vienna Acoustic Mozarts?

Richard Austen likes this.
  2. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

What are you looking to change (sound wise) that your current speakers are not accomplishing?

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

Look into the Spatial Audio M5 Sapphires. Their predecessors, the M4 Triode Masters, were already one of the best values under $5K, so these M5s should be a knockout. You can try them in your own home with the only risk being return shipping cost.

And like Vienna Acoustics, Clayton Shaw has an ear for proper tone and low-fatigue performance.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

You should put Spendor D7 or D9 on your shortlist.

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

At Upscale Audio, we listened to that feeding Monitor Audio Silver 300s. Fabulous. Those speakers could even crank live Motorhead without turning into distorted hash, which is amazing. PrimaLuna separates in the other room combined with Focal 936s to sound so nice, my buddy bought the Focals.

But yes, what do you feel is lacking in your current setup? And exactly which Mozarts do you have? (web searching seems to indicate more than one generation or flavor).

ls35a likes this.
  6. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Maybe go up the line with Vienna Acoustics if you already love the sound? Best bet is to go audition as many speakers as possible before deciding. Buying speakers blind based on recommendations often doesn't work out for people and reselling speakers is a PITA.

You live in CA. Plenty of dealers, clubs, and shows within driving distance. Also plenty of local sellers on Audiogon and USAudiomart who will let you audition before buying.

Tawaun A Williams and timind like this.
  7. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

8. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

9. Frost

Frost Forum Resident

Sonus Faber has been my favorite speaker. Vandersteen, ATC, and Proac are also top of my list.

10. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

11. MusicaMusica

MusicaMusica Active Member

If you're willing to wait for a used pair to come along, I would recommend the the Vandersteen Quattro that should be able to be had in your price range. If you're after detail and delicacy, the newly revised Magnepans like the 3.7i would be a good choice...not sure what it retails for. Used 20.7's go for around $7K. My recommendations reflect my taste to some degree. I'm thrilled with my Magnepan 20.7's. Never heard real bass from a Magnepan until I bought the 20.7s. Pop music sounds good on them but I listen to mostly jazz and classical.

Musician95616 likes this.
  12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

try to figure out which direction you want to go in- you can get an "upgrade" to some better speakers but might not prefer the type of sound they deliver. FYI your Vienna Acoustic speakers are extremely forgiving. If you want to explore something more forward or monitor like (ATC, Spendor D series) you might be in for a shock.
    I would recommend you get yourself to dealers and hear the offerings that are available. I personally love Harbeth speakers and the C7ES3 with discount is right at your budget. They sound natural and forgiving, quite "glorious" with all music types IMHO and have lots of detail without ever being harsh. The other benefit to these Harbeths is that they integrate exceptionally well with a subwoofer.

13. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

+ 1 for the Forte III! A little bit biased with it.

EggBreakfast and The Pinhead like this.
  14. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Then why upgrade?

Might I suggest an index fund instead? Vanguard has a good one.

I know, crazy talk, right??

15. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Monitor Audio Silver 200's.

Or if you want to go big ticket Spendor A7's or D7.2's.

Eurofan and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  16. TheMan84

TheMan84 Active Member

If I may ask, what would you like to change about what you currently have? Any specific sound feature you'd like to have more or less? Or is it about a change just for the sake of change?

bhazen likes this.
  17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

A used pair of DeVore O/83's. One of the top handful of speakers I've ever heard.

Graham/Chartwell LS5/9's, similarly so.

Also, talk to @Warren Jarrett at the Audio Home in L.A., see if he's got a pair of Audio Note E's in your price range.

18. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was thinking of change just for the sake of change. But maybe I’m set with what I have? Some of you on here think I should be. And that’s good to know!

Originally, I thought I might look into the Focal 936, but I’ve been hearing that they are very forward sounding and maybe not the best bet for me.

19. Helom

Helom Forum member

An extremely overpriced speaker unless you value looks over sound. I had an opportunity to buy a demo pair for $2K and passed because they weren't very competitive even at that price. When a speaker company offers 5+ performance tiers, the first couple are usually quite mediocre.

20. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Since you have begun down the tube amp path you may eventually continue upgrading to Single Ended Tube amps. As such leave that door open and look at low power amp friendly speakers.

At the California Audio Show the best sounding room was Audio Note so I would look at either the J or E models. One of the runner up rooms was PureAudio Project and SoundKaos. The former offers speakers in your price range but they are bigger speakers.

Feom the previous show I covered a runnet up was Volti Audio. Also close to your price range and high sensitive design.

Zu Audio also makes a $5kish floorsyander mark iv but I forget the model name. Omen Def or definition ... something like that. Those were quite good. Zu is a bit hit and miss for me but worth a listen if you can.

21. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Spendor and Devore pair so sweetly with tubes.

Helom likes this.
  22. timind

timind phorum rezident

Musician95616 and Helom like this.
  23. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

On the lowend Wharfedale Evo 4.4 they are $2k and they kicked up some dust at the RMAF.....and then around the $5k mark:
    Graham Audio ls6f
    Spendor A7
    Ohm Walsh 5000
    Kef R11
    JBL Classic L100

Fruff76 likes this.
  24. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

It's simply fun to listen to different speakers if you are into this hobby... Since you like you current pair, my suggestion would be to audition ones that can be listened to in your own room and returned if you so decide.

25. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

If you can stretch to 7-8k you can get a pair of JBL 4367 on the second hand market. I think any dealer who is carrying JBL Synthesis might be interested in a trade involving your current speakers so you could definitely pickup a demo or even brand new pair if you did that route. I would recommend these speakers over anything anyone else has suggested. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.