Speakers for the computer and Pono player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Starwanderer, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Starwanderer likes this.
  2. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, I'm going to get some extra unexpected cash at Christmas, so I've decided to put on hold the purchase of a pair of loudspeakers for my Pono player and aim at higher objectives on my audiophile wish list, such as a new DAC for my "big" system ;)

Thanks everybody for your help. I really appreciate everybody's inputs :wave:

3. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

The Pono Player has a variable line out (i.e. controlled by the volume on the player), and a fixed line out, which can be set to a range of output volumes. It's very versatile. There is also, of course, a balanced line out option using both jacks of the Pono Player.

4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

It is darn versatile in this regard. I am not currently using powered speakers with the Pono, but if I ever find a need to have another little office, garage or say vacation-home rig somewhere else, I think I might do balanced out of Pono to xlr inputs for say the Emotiva powered monitors mentioned earlier. The Pono can control the volume if the passive volume control Emotiva sells is not better. Seems like it could be a tasty little setup for a very small footprint.

5. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Honestly, I am amazed at how great this player sounds in my home setup, connected with a $200 rca to mini AQ cable. I have a decent Rega DAC connected to my preamp, and I can run the same files through my MacBook Pro to the Rega. Honestly, I think the Pono reproduction is just better than through the $1,000 DAC. And don't even get me started on native DSD files through the Pono! Wow!!

bmoregnr likes this.
  6. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

If you really want to step it up, you could try to find a used pair of Dynaudio MC-15 multimedia speakers. Or go with the current Xeo series.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

8. Glen Rasmusssen

Glen Rasmusssen Active Member

Push come to shove, for 100$ you can pick up a Bose Wave radio on Ebay or Internet sale site. They are bullet proof, adequate sound, small footprint, and have a better sound than most tiny computer speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.