Spin Doctors Pocket Full of Kryptonite 20th anniversary edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

A 20th anniversary deluxe edition of Spin Doctors Pocket Full of Kryptonite is scheduled for release on August 31st. It will be a two-disc set. Disc 1 will have a remastered version of the album, while disc 2 will have demo tracks that were previously only available on cassette before the band hit it big.

Amazon has the set on pre-order for just $12.98. I just ordered it, as I've always liked the album. Any other takers?

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

These guys still tour which surprised me when I saw their name pop up on Pollstar or something. Interesting to see they think there is demand for this type of release. They did have 3-4 "hits" from that album. I saw them open for the Stones on Voodoo Lounge.

I know many other here will say "C'mon, that label must have significantly better things to reissue".

3. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I was really surprised to hear that they were coming out with a deluxe edition of this album. I have my original CD (which IMO sounds pretty alright), and will probably stick with that. Demos don't really interest me that much. Now, if there were some decent unreleased live tracks, I would probably consider picking it up.

4. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

The original CD is a dollar bin staple. But, those who bought it when new are now 20 years older and probably nostalgic enough to spring for a deluxe edition.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Wish they would have added a live show instead of some demos.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

This was one of the most "dumped CD's" in this region (along with Monster by REM). Very odd choice IMO.

Ghostworld and driverdrummer like this.
  7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I used to see them play in very small local bars when they were unknown then they got big very fast and later I saw them play in the same small bars but with a bit of an attitude ala has beens. This CD? Pass...........

8. Man, reading this makes me feel old ... seems like it was just yesterday.

9. KeithH

Agreed. I was really into them in '92 and '93. A good band, and fun too.

reddyempower likes this.
  10. KeithH

I read about the anniversary edition of Pocket Full of Kryptonite in the current issue of one of the British hi-fi magazines today (Hi-Fi+?). They interviewed Chris Barron. Barron said that Spin Doctors are touring the U.K. this summer (seven shows) and then will tour in the U.S. after that. He also said that they are considering the release of a live CD from the tour.

11. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

No! Don't remind me that I'm old! The 20th anniversary of Nevemind is coming up and I was in high school when it first came out. I'm already having issues dealing with that. ;)

12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

13. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Bill Bradley Denies Being Into Spin Doctors In Early '90s

CRYSTAL CITY, MO—Bill Bradley became the latest presidential hopeful to come under fire for past indiscretions Tuesday, when the Democratic primary candidate vehemently denied allegations that he was into the band Spin Doctors in the early 1990s.

On Monday, Bradley refused to answer reporters' questions regarding his rumored ownership of the 1991 Spin Doctors album Pocket Full Of Kryptonite. The following day, at a press conference attended by more than 200 in his hometown of Crystal City, he issued an official denial of Spin Doctors fandom.

"Although I do believe there may have been a copy of that particular Spin Doctors album in my home in what would have been 1991 or 1992," said Bradley, reading from a prepared statement, "I cannot recall with any accuracy whether it belonged to me or someone else living in the house. In either case, I do not now, nor have I ever, considered myself a 'fan' of that lame band."

"In the distant past, I may have stated that the Spin Doctors had a couple of decent songs, but that doesn't mean I like them or their music," Bradley added. "When a song is on the radio a lot, as 'Two Princes' was, sometimes you end up kind of getting into it. That does not—I repeat, not—necessarily mean you even think it's a good song."

Despite Bradley's denial, numerous past and present members of Congress have come forward to contradict the former New Jersey senator's claims.

"I am sad to say that I not only personally witnessed Bill playing Pocket Full Of Kryptonite on several occasions," said U.S. Sen. Pete Domenici (R-NM), whose Senate office was next door to Bradley's from 1991 to 1994, "but he would repeatedly back up the CD to replay 'Little Miss Can't Be Wrong.'"

"I've never said anything before, but when Mr. Bradley announced his bid for the presidency, I felt it was my duty to step forward," U.S. Sen. Jim Jeffords (R-VT) said. "I specifically recall him approaching me during a 1992 Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs meeting to ask if I'd heard the new Spin Doctors album, Homebelly Groove... Live."

When told of Jeffords' comments, Bradley said that if he did own Homebelly Groove, he "probably bought it used for a couple of dollars just to make fun of it, or possibly a lobbyist with terrible musical taste left it in my office by mistake."

Though Bradley "cannot recall all the specifics" of his early-'90s Spin Doctors-listening practices, he said he is certain that he has not listened to any of the band's albums in the last five years.

"As I said, I may have listened to Pocket Full Of Kryptonite a few times. And if I did, you must bear in mind that in 1991 America, you couldn't escape the thing," Bradley said. "But as far as later albums like Turn It Upside Down and You've Got To Believe In Something go, I can say with full confidence that I have never heard them in my entire life. Now, does that sound like a Spin Doctors fan?"

Bradley, who has been dubbed "Little Mister Can't Be Wrong" by the media, has been widely criticized for his evasiveness.

"[Bradley] needs to come clean once and for all," said Washington pundit Chris Matthews, host of CNBC's Hardball With Chris Matthews. "I'm sick of all these candidates skirting questions about their past peccadilloes. Either he was into the Spin Doctors or he wasn't. Let's get a yes or a no, Bill."

In the wake of the allegations, many Democrats have rallied to the embattled Bradley's defense.

"There are skeletons in everybody's closet," said Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle, who found himself in the spotlight last year when photos surfaced of him at a 1993 Blind Melon concert. "We've all done some things we're not proud of, especially in our younger days, but we learn from those mistakes."

"The public is actually very forgiving of politicians who are truthful about their past indiscretions," political commentator Laura Ingraham said. "But if Bradley thinks he can weasel out of this Spin Doctors controversy without confronting it head-on, he'd better watch it!"

Bradley urged members of the press to "stick to the issues and rise above these ugly, unfounded Spin Doctors rumors."

"Let's get back to what's important—the issues. I stand for campaign-finance reform, stricter gun control and universal health coverage for all Americans," Bradley said. "This campaign is not about The 'Doctors."

Many Americans still feel that Bradley has not adequately addressed the allegations.

"If Bill Bradley wants to be president of the United States, the most powerful man on Earth, don't we have the right to know what kind of judgement he has? Don't we, the American voting public, have the right to know if we're electing someone incapable of exercising good decision-making with regard to popular music?" asked Dolores Whittier of Pomona, CA. "The point is not merely that he was once into the Spin Doctors. The point is, knowing that he was into them, who would he be into as president? Matchbox 20? Smash Mouth? Sugar Ray? Those guys who did the 'I get knocked down' song? We need to know about our leaders' pasts if we are to have any hope of a better tomorrow."

Chad

http://www.theonion.com/articles/bill-bradley-denies-being-into-spin-doctors-in-ear,639/

Linus Vendeen likes this.
  14. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I Got A Closet Full of Samsonite...........

15. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

It really wasn't that bad of an album, definitely a product of it's time and they had the few hits from that album, but the rest of the album is fairly solid as well. I can't imagine there's enough demand to warrant a deluxe edition though!

16. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I enjoyed the record, probably will try to run into this version in the used bins if I'm lucky ;)

17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I'll swim against the tide on this thread and say I am a fan of the band. I have four of their albums and still listen to them regularly. Pocketful is easily my favorite of them.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

For someone who likes their first album, which of the others would you recommend? I'm thinking of exploring their catalog a little deeper.

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

:hurl:

I never liked anything by this group. Good luck selling this one - their CDs are easily found for a couple of bucks in the used bins.

20. KeithH

I'm a bit surprised by the criticism over a solid band that had a few hits. They were a fun band, too.

As for the deluxe edition, there are many questionable reissues these days, especially given the state of CD sales. The price of the Spin Doctors deluxe edition is right by me ($12.98, Amazon), so I ordered it.

21. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I was a fan of the album when it came out. I listened to it a few years ago and was surprised at how little I liked it. It was really a product of its time and I don't think it travels very well.

Chad

22. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

The early '90s production hurts this one, imo. I can't stand the sound of the snare drum on it.

driverdrummer likes this.
  23. I actually enjoy this album, but really have to wonder why it is being re-issued?

SQ on the original disc is pretty good.

I still enjoy getting texts from a friend of mine (we both enjoyed the album in college) asking "What time is it?"

And I respond "4:30!" :)

Side note, I saw them live at a free show a few years back and they really killed it. Bassist and guitarist were very good.

24. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I'd be more interested in this if it was getting a vinyl reissue.

25. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Me to :righton:

I think they are a bit UNDER-rated actually, especially this album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.