Spiritualized reissue LPs on Plain records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sublemon, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, I *probably* already know the answer to this, but I couldn't find anything when searching. Are the Spiritualized Plain reissues any good? I assume they are most likely Plain's typical mastered from CD stuff?

I mostly ask because I see they are coming out with a couple new ones soon, F'ed Up Inside being one of the few I don't have an original of. But also, I have been tempted by some of the others because I don't find early 90s UK vinyl that good really - often the records are noisy IMO, who knows what masters were used really in the era when vinyl pressing declined precipitously at the same time as digital recording was on the rise and still sounding kinda bad.

So if anyone has heard any of the previous Plain reissues, especially Pure Phase, I would be interested in opinions on the qound quality.

2. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ah, i found a revived thread from a few weeks ago. Only via google search though. Seems like the Plain reissues are as expected, pretty meh, but packaging is decent.

3. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

Listening to Pure Phase right now, and I'm pleasantly surprised. The original vinyl IS noisy as is is the Plain unfortunately, the original has fuller-deeper more punchy bass in spots. Let It Flow on Plain has huge bass! But that's it, the Plain is pretty close, I'd say it's a cost effective way to get this on vinyl, but I'd like to some day see a better pressing some day.
    As far as f***ed Up Inside, the original vinyl never sounded that good to begin with IMO (sold my autographed copy to upgrade my system years ago) it always sounded as if recorded from a distance from the instruments. the CD sounds the same or better.
    The LGM original is really nice, better vinyl quality than the others, 45rpm.
    Hope all this helps.

Gavinyl likes this.
  4. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I suspect sound quality is the reason ****ed Up Inside has never been reissued on CD. It's not a great sounding recording, not up to the standard of other official Spiritualized live stuff (although, unlike Royal Albert Hall, it actually IS an undoctored live recording.

But, for example, it never sounded as good as Verve's Voyager One (which actually WAS an official release compiled by the band, pretending to be a bootleg).

5. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

how do we know plain's releases are "sourced from a cd"? surely if they are being licensed legally from the rights holders, they'd be given at minimum high-res files, right?

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's exactely the stuff some members here keep repeating and repeating ad nauseam. My guess is they've got the idea from a Kevin Shields' quote - that he thinks Plain's "Loveless" was mastered from a CD - and generously extended it to all Plain reissues.

7. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

yeah i keep seeing that Kevin quote. I love him and I understand he'd be upset about it but I would need more proof than that to believe the "CD sourced" claims...

8. PostalBlowfish75

Even though the sound of FUI has never been great it's still a great performance the cover has always been a favorite as well. I'll probably still pick this up.

Gavinyl likes this.
  9. PostalBlowfish75

Listening to Plain's F***ed Up Inside and one again I'm pleasantly surprised! It hotter/louder than the original cd (which IMO is far to relaxed but compared very well to original vinyl) but never gets too hot.
    The pressing quality is better than most of my previous Plain reissues but not perfect, they are still pressing at United. If you love this recording you can do worse, been a while since i've given it a listen but it had me reaching for my medication like it did back then. I'll spend the rest of the day waiting for it to wear off.

Gavinyl likes this.
  10. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

Bought fukked up inside today and have no complaints, sounds good and pressing seems nice

11. PostalBlowfish75

Without a doubt this reissue of F****d Up Inside is the best Plain Recordings release I've purchased. The sound is Probably as good as we will ever hear, my pressing is perfect.

Gavinyl likes this.
  12. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Listening to the Royal Albert LP right now. Sounds amazing to these ears

13. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

Does anyone know anything about the Amazing Grace and A&E records that were released this week? Are they from Plain?

14. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Amazon has these listed as being from Sanctuary records. But I cannot find any info on these reissues. I too would like to hear more of where they came from?

This is the only info I can really find via the google.
    http://exclaim.ca/News/spiritualized_treat_amazing_grace_songs_in_e_to_vinyl_reissues

15. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

Yeah, I found that same article when I was searching as well. Doesn't give much info, unfortunately.

The back of the record cover does say Sanctuary (no mention of Plain that I could see, so I assumed they aren't the same series as the ones discussed in this thread.

16. Mojave77

Mojave77 New Member

Mine also sounds great. Truly one of the better Plain reissues I've picked up. Pure Phase on the other hand is probably the worst Plain reissue I've bought. I've gone through two copies that both have pressing bubbles/blemishes in the vinyl - in the same place on both copies which would lead me to believe they're all that way. Its also loaded with pops and crackles.

17. PostalBlowfish75

The Plain Pure Phase is also really lacking low end compared to the original.

18. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Adding my $0.02 to this old thread: I have Lazer, Phase, Ladies & Gentlemen and Royal Albert Hall and I think Plain has done a terrific job on all four, though I haven't heard any originals to compare. I'm not much of a reissues guy so I haven't followed Plain's history with other titles. I have all these on CD but such spacy, psychedelic music "feels" better on vinyl. My prized Spritualized possession however is the black cover CD version of Ladies & Gentlemen, with the Elvis quote completed on the title track.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Apparently Plain has repressed Ladies and Gentlemen on colored vinyl. If anyone has a copy, would you please let us know who cut it and where it was pressed? Thanks!

20. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Ooh, I would like to know as well, but I don't think it's out yet - one more week, I think?
    Blue/white is a perfect color for this release, and I heard the last pressing was more than a little noisy - so maybe they fixed that for this pressing? Either way, I'm in.
    (Floating in Space is one of my favorite albums, and even though it was made for CD, I'd love a quality colored vinyl of it)

Gabe Walters likes this.
  21. Marc Perman

I have the Plain Ladies & Gentlemen that's been out for a while, it's a great pressing with no noise or sonic issues. Love this album. Spiritualized played it live with choir and orchestra a few years ago in NY and LA, the latter which I attended was memorable.

22. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

My UK original of Ladies & Gentleman is on its way from Japan. I had to spend the $, but life is too short to listen to Plain lousy reissues IMO !

Neonbeam and ShawnX like this.
  23. Marc Perman

Nothing wrong with the Plain Spiritualized reissues, though I haven't compared any to originals.

Gavinyl likes this.
  24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Maybe I was unlucky, but my Plain L&G reissue was terrible. The audio quality was fine, but the record itself was in terrible shape. Scratches everywhere, and loaded with dirt/soot right out of a new package, with snaps & crackles worse than an old used record. It's like they left it outside in a dust storm for a few days before they put it in a sleeve. Especially the second disc. Cop Shoot Cop was practically unlistenable.

25. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Sorry, but I have mate - no comparison IMHO on my system
    I have ALL the UK originals...

Marc Perman and Neonbeam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.