Springsteen 2016 Tour Downloads

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Dec 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

2. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

Probably because they expect (and rightfully so) to sell much less CDs than what would justify a factory press.

ARK likes this.
  3. I think the Sony contract that specifies the Nugs releases must be inferior to the Sony releases has been translated to mean CD-R release with no fixes (the latter is fine by me).A bigger problem is their obsession with getting them out within a few days of each show which if High Hopes shows are any indication mean poor quality mixes/mastering.They need to look at how Pearl Jam does it and copy exactly.

Mbd77 likes this.
  4. Mbd77

But they factory-press for the Pearl Jam boxes...

melstapler and driverdrummer like this.
  5. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I loved that series!

6. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

The first show is up now.

7. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Anyone who went or has heard it - is the first show worth the download, or would you wait until there are more in the can?

8. Everyone on Backstreets who has downloaded the show say that Bruce's vocals are so low in the mix he might not even be in the Building(exaggeration but you get the point).After the terrible quality of the High Hopes downloads I was hoping Nugs involvement might lead to signifigant quality improvement but it appears not.
    I cannot figure out why the Pearl Jam and Counting Crows Nugs concert downloads are such good quality-for what they are-and the Springsteen ones are so terrible.On the bright side this will save me money.

Christopher B, johnny q and Jimmy B. like this.
  9. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

The Who's downloads for their 2015 tour weren't very good either - everything mixed to the center - they sound mono.

marc with a c likes this.
  10. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

The HD FLAC version is 48/24. The recent upload of the 2013 Rome show was 192/24 for the same price $19.95.

11. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Bought it last night. Listening to it now. The vocals are indeed way too low in the mix. Whoever is signing off on these things needs to make an appointment to get their hearing checked.

Christopher B, budwhite and Jimmy B. like this.
  12. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I'm usually one to give them (Inc) the benefit of the doubt, but I have to agree that the Pittsburgh download doesn't sound that great.

As I was listening, the thought that came to my mind was that this had excellent sound if it was a bootleg release...but for something that is 'official', I felt that it was lacking.

I feel bad for those that pre-ordered all of the shows at the discounted price...I usually try to pick up multiple shows, but will have to reevaluate that after hearing this one.

I was hoping for a slight improvement over the AU/USA 2014 shows, but that didn't happen.

13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Don't buy it.
    They messed up the mix something horrible; I started playing it, it sounded great at first (the band), then suddenly I am shocked to be hearing a faint ghost of Bruce's voice; it's far too low throughout, this one is a ripoff, the problems people had with the Rome download, too much echo for them, is nothing compared to this.
    It's the worst Bruce download yet by FAR.
    If they don't redo this I'm going to stick with youtube videos over downloads. They have to redo this, the guy, Cooper, who mixed it, he wrecked it, the fans are ripped off, the sound is horrible. I can't listen to it.

budwhite likes this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I thought Pearl Jam switched to CD-R's a few years ago.

There's no way they'd press a 100-CD box set for the 50 people who'd pay $500 or something for it. These recordings aren't worth that much, outside of being a nice souvenir of a show you were at.

15. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Not going to pay for any of his downloads anymore. Rome was my last. Monumental lack of quality control going into these.

budwhite and redsock like this.
  16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Oh well, I'll just get the regular FLAC's when I decide which shows I want. With The River being played every night in it's entirety I think I'll probably only get 2 or maybe 3 shows from this tour.

17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

You might get your own River shows in the UK in the spring, so might as well wait. ;)

18. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Someone on BTX posted that someone in the Bruce Camp said that they don't use Bruce's direct vocal mic for these bootlegs because they pick up too much other sound on stage so they use whatever bleeds through the other mics on stage plus the crowd mics for the vocals. Sounds pretty dumb to me if true.

budwhite likes this.
  19. uncle

uncle Senior Member

I have bought every single previous download but I acquired this one through alternate means. I hated to do it as I want to support the continued release of these official boots but if they cant be bothered to make them sound at least halfway decent then I can't continue to support these releases in their current incarnation. How can an artist of Bruce's statue have the WORST mixed official bootlegs out of all the major acts who release them? Hell he could pull a Trent Reznor and release the multitrack stems and I guaren-****ing-tee that there are fans who could mix them better in a shorter amount of time FOR FREE.

budwhite and INSW like this.
  20. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

No great exaggeration to state that Bruce sounded clearer on the Periscope broadcast and that was via a phone!

21. INSW

INSW Senior Member

These would be laughable if they were made available for free, but to charge for them is borderline shameful.

ted321, budwhite and redsock like this.
  22. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

I believe the problem is that Springsteen is loyal to a fault. The guy mixing this stuff is very clearly not skilled enough to do this job. Christ, even Toby Scott has done a ****ty job
    with these. Agree with the above, for an artist of this stature to allow this quality is shameful.

End of rant, vote by not purchasing these.

budwhite and superstar19 like this.
  23. The engineer mixing these,John Cooper,has been quoted as saying that any mix used for the venue's sound system and the dressing room monitors is by definition good enough to release in this concert download series.That answer would get him a big fail in Mixing 101.
    I have always thought the problem was insufficient time between show and release to do a competent mix.To that can be added the person doing the mix.

budwhite likes this.
  24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Guy's make sure to let them know how awful the sound quality is via the comments section where you buy these from.

25. Mbd77

They should be using a custom IEM live mix and recording right off it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.