St. Louis used CD stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by TSmithPage, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member Thread Starter

I'm headed to St. Louis for business Monday and expect to have 3 or 4 hours to kill before my flight home. Since I can't search the old threads at the moment, I'll just ask, are there any used CD stores in the area that are worth a visit? I'm always on the lookout for recent promos of new stuff, imports and cheap old CDs. Any suggestions?

2. Russ

Russ Outlaw

3. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

CD Reunion on Lindbergh-----a little North of Lambert Airport. They've got a great selection of used discs----used to have a lot of grey area material too, but not so much anymore.

Of course, like any good used CD store, the stock changes frequently, so it's always hit or miss, but I've found (and sold, regrettabley) many a treasure there.

Sure wish I was back home in St. Louis. Houston is way too hot. :(

4. TSmithPage

Thanks for the suggestions (so far). BTW, I'm headed to Houston in October if you have any recommendations down your way...:)

5. RandySchimka

RandySchimka Senior Member

Vintage Vinyl

I had pretty good luck searching for used CDs at Vintage Vinyl last year. They have a pretty good stock, although a couple of the CDs had scratches when I got them up to the counter and they were removed from those theft-proof holders...I went to the location at 6610 Del Mar, it's pretty easy to find...

Thanks, Randy

6. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

cd reunion, vintage vinyl, euclid records--all good but not really close to one another. cd reunion is fairly close to the airport, though. vintage is mid-city and euclid is closer to downtown. good luck.

-eddie

7. TSmithPage

I got back from St. Louis late last night, hitting all stores in this thread and more. While Euclid Records had a lot to choose from, their prices were a bit high for my tastes. That said, I did have a successful run, especially on Hoffman-related items. I picked up Steve's Tom Petty "You're Gonna Get it", Ray Charles Greatest Hits Vol. 2, and Dave Mason's It's Like you Never Left/Dave Mason. I also found a MFSL Greatful Dead From the Mars Hotel. Is that rare at all? All these were under $10 each. There was a really cool record store set up in an old library location w/tons of vinyl. I picked up a couple of obscure Stylistics records there as well.

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

hey todd:
    nice to hear of your scores; sounds like you got some good things. i don't live in st. louis anymore, but i will be home for the holidays. where is this old library vinyl shop and what's it called?? i'm curious!
    thanks.

-eddie

9. It's called the Record Exchange on Hampton Ave. It can be hard sometimes to find good quality vinyl there, though. I have seen a lot of scratched records being sold there, but there is such a large selection that you can probably find some gems if you look hard enough. The coolest part of the store is the upstairs 45 room. Awesome selection and good prices on the 45's.

generally, the problem with a lot of these stores is they sell their really good stuff on eBay, and the not-so-good stuff ends up in the store.

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

oh yeah, i've been to the exchange. and i agree, a lot of beat stuff but i've found a couple gems there. thanks for the update.

-eddie

11. TSmithPage

Yeah, I found this mention of it online before I went:

The Record Exchange
    Great used record stores both located in south St. Louis. The first is 2831 Cherokee, (314) 771-0480, and the second, at 5320 S. Hampton (at Eichelberger) was once a public library so it's huge! Both locations offer a fantastic selection of mostly cheap, used vinyl, CDs, cassettes, etc.

If you're a vinyl fan, they have a TON of vinyl. The CD selection is spotty, with very little new stuff, but this is where I found a couple of the Hoffman items I mentioned.

12. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

13. TSmithPage

And how many pages of threads would I have needed to sort through to find your thread, Mr. Gort? :) Still, it was interesting reading, after the fact.

14. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Many. :D I don't think we had "search" last week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.