St. Vincent News!! Ongoing Thread For All Things St. Vincent- Will Be Updated As Needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by linclink, May 8, 2014.

1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

This came out last year.

2. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Odd, given how thoroughly I had to search my local HMV to find a copy the week after release. I would have expected it to be getting some promotion, but they can't even decide whether it's under ST, SA or VI.

I think it's a pretty great album, but I bought the new Alvvays album in the same transaction and I'm playing it waaaay more. John Congleton produced, come to think of it.

GregorSamsa and sparkmeister like this.
  3. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

New St. Vincent fan here. I picked up her 2014 release entitled St. Vincent (sitting in a pink chair) on CD and it sounds loud & compressed. Does the vinyl version sound the same way?

4. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

It's not easy being a St. Vincent fan if you care about sound quality. Yes, the CDs are loud and compressed and, in my experience, the vinyl is poorly pressed. The sound of the vinyl does provide some relief from the compression but it's just the same files as the CD / downloads put on vinyl.

It's good to have choices, isn't it?

kenbefound likes this.
  5. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I managed to have a little bit less of fatigue processing St. Vincent through the re-life plugin. That kind of software is designed to correct clipping distortion and more obvious artifacts, not to "re-gain" dynamics, but it does something in that department too. a DR6 track can gain 3 to 5 more DR points, depending on the setting, but the real life difference is less impressive.
    Maybe you could give it a try but don't expect miracles.

6. linclink

linclink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's a poll, here on The Forum, allowing you to vote for your favorite album from Mojo's list of the top 25 of the year.
    Mojo’s best albums of 2017 - numbers 25–1:

audiotom likes this.
  7. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I caught her show down in Louisville last night and enjoyed it a lot. My first time seeing her. I thought playing the new album all the way through wouldn't work at first but it ended up being kind of gutsy and I liked it. Just her out on that big stage alone was kind of cool. I'm not sure everyone could pull that off but she certainly did. Go Annie.

8. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

A friend of mine commented that seeing her on this tour was more like seeing an art exhibition that going to a gig and I agree 100%. It was like seeing a piece of art. It really seems like a bold move but it worked.

linclink and audiotom like this.
  9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Omg

Caught the show in Knoxville

I have seen Annie a number of times - always excellent and this is by far the most powerful.

The songs really come alive and her stage presence, voice and musicianship have been taken to an even higher level

The artistic flourish, her carrying the full focus, just intense

By the third song I thought
    What it must be like for someone seeing her for the first time with no prior knowledge.

The new material was a tour de force

Annie commented that Knoxville was the date where she nearly was killed by the PA stack falling on her and introduced the local stage hand who saved her

Spoiler alert

I prefer to be in the moment but shot this holding out my hand

From the third row right side

Open in youtube, maximize and flip your screen for best results

jvLz6ZUk9Qg

Durham NC tomorrow

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  10. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

12. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

VMP edition is quiet and housed in a standard cardboard sleeve

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'll get that one. What is VMP?

14. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

15. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

She's doing a tour with the band next year, including some festival shows. Will be interesting to hear how the new material is compared to her current solo shows.

wolfram likes this.
  16. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Good news - I'll be seeing her support Nick Cave and Patti Smith at All Points East in London

17. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm not keen on festivals but I would love to see her perform with a band again, especially the new material. Hopefully she will come to Berlin again on that tour.

BTW, where did you get that info?

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

There's atleast one date mentioned in the Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds 2018 Festival Tour-email that I received:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds have added a headline London show to their 2018 festival tour.
    The band will headline APE Presents on Sunday 3rd June in Victoria Park, London, as part of All Points East UK.
    Special guests include Patti Smith, St. Vincent, Courtney Barnett, with more to be announced soon.
    — All Points East

wolfram likes this.
  19. wolfram

Ok, I wouldn't mind seeing her together with Nick Cave, since I'm a big fan of him as well.

Edit: Oops, no tour dates for Germany. :(

20. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Wolfram

I was sitting next to a person who attended a VIP questionaire in Durham and she mentioned that Annie said she will tour with a band next year

Not a big fan seeing Annie doing festival shows - at least daytime slots
    The lighting, special presentation enhance the performance

Youtube some digital witness tour dates for example

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Fallon Monday night. String section with only her singing one of the new ballads.

22. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

missed it
    thanks for the heads up

23. wolfram

:wtf: That's just a minute of stills with music, that's definitely not Annie's. ;)

Here's the real thing:

audiotom, linclink and Sammy Waslow like this.
  24. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

I caught this tour a couple days ago and totally enjoyed it. I didn't think there was a lack of energy or crowd engagement - Annie sounded great and people certainly seemed to be into the experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to a fan of hers. I've seen plenty of solo shows where it's a matter of necessity due to budget, but that's not the case here. There's a purposefulness to the staging/theatricality. As a practical matter, the production choices on Masseduction certainly don't lend themselves to a rock touring band without re-arrangement of almost all the songs. My sense is that Annie just embraced this and tailored the tour around that reality. The new arrangements of her old songs also reflect that approach as well as the general movement of her music away from rock and towards electronic.

The VIP experience was interesting. She did two acoustic songs, which I loved, and then around 40 minutes of Q&A. She was very loose and seemed to let more of her guard down compared to the actual media interviews. Only complaint is that I was at the venue around 5.5 hours because there's a long break between the time the pre-show stuff finishes and when she actually takes the stage.

25. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Slow disco is an odd choice but very effective
    tender moments - lush violins

see why I missed a more organic approach
    with less electronic pop sheen?

still - absolutely love the record

200 balloons thanks for the VIP insight and spot on tour comments
    that is quite an extensive time to answer Q&A
    was she very approachable and humorous?

wolfram and linclink like this.