Star Trek DS9 and Sar Trek Voyager Poll

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Linger63, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok...........Sorry but I'm new at this.........hope I didn't stuff anything up or double up on a previous similar poll.

After reading about the (IMHO unnecessary) planned re remaster of Star Trek 2 - The Wrath of Khan on BD I am wondering just how many of us would buy the DS9 and Voyager series IF they were to receive at least a similar standard of HD remastering to the (IMHO pretty impressive) Star Trek Next Generation release.

So basically 1080p and 7.1 DTS HD Master Audio.........

Aspect Ratio is another debate I won't go into here but ALL comments are welcome.

It would be nice to at least THINK that someone at Paramount might actually notice us!!!!

Considering their great ST TOS and ST TNG efforts............maybe they did.

BTW.........as you probably guessed..........I'm down for BOTH!!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There can only be one aspect ratio - the original 4:3 aspect (however, if 16:9 is possible without cropping, I'd go with that).

I would get both series, but it will never happen as it would be too costly to do properly compared to profit margin. And as more times passes, the proposition gets less and less viable, alas.

Linger63 likes this.
  3. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

I would probably buy DS9 on Blu-Ray. I enjoyed Voyager but I don't plan on re-watching it. I assume these shows would have to be in 4:3 just like TNG.

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

For me, DS9 only. It's my favorite incarnation of Trek after TOS, and Voyager is my least favorite.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

DS9 and Voyager are my least favorite Trek series, so I would not buy either.

Paul Saldana likes this.
  6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Nah I'm good with my DVDs. Don't care for DS9 anyway.

Paul Saldana likes this.
  7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Being a Trekkie (Trekker?...whatever) gotta say both.

Darryl

Linger63 likes this.
  8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I already own the DVDs for Deep Space 9, so if I was going to spend any money on more Trek, it would be for the Blu-rays of Voyager. Plus I like Voyager and have only its first season on DVD, which I won in a Trek trivia contest.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I would buy DS9 in a heartbeat, love to see it in good quality. Maybe CBS should look into crowd funding it a season at a time if they don't think it would pay for itself to remaster.

sunspot42 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

DS9 didn't start to get interesting until they made Sisko a captain.

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have them on DVD and the $129 a season retail that CBS/Paramount would charge for them would make me be fine with my upscaled DVDs.

12. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

While I watched both on TV for a few years, I eventually gave up on both before they concluded. I've never felt a strong urge to watch either series again, so I would have to say "neither." Of the two, I probably enjoyed DS9 a little more...so perhaps I would purchase a set if it was cheap enough.

On the other hand, I can watch TNG repeatedly and still get enjoyment from that series...even if I know most of the episodes by heart at this point.

Linger63 likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the CBS/Paramount/Viacom execs are cheap bastids who should be remastering all important films & TV series like this in HD. It's a crime they're letting these shows turn to dust in the vaults. But at the same time, I don't think there's much of a market for people that will buy this on DVD and Blu-ray. Future syndication and streaming... maybe.

IronWaffle, Linger63 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. Linger63

Thanks for all you replies so far!!!!!

Interesting that it's almost 50/50 buying any or NONE!!! :confused:

I thought there would have been a higher % of buyers so far...........no real reason...........just what I thought. :agree:

Keep them coming..........much appreciated :)

15. Linger63

No probs........

I only left out ST TOS and ST Enterprise as they have already been released on BD.

Do you have either or both of those?

16. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I have TOS, TNG, and Enterprise on BD.

Johnny Rocker and Linger63 like this.
  17. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Unfortunately, since DS9 and Voyager were mastered in SD video, it's extremely expensive to remaster them for HD. Since sales of the remastered TNG didn't meet expectations, I think the odds are low.

But because CBS is launching a new online service based in part on the new Trek show, I think it would make sense for them to remaster at least the best of DS9 and Voyager for All Access. So far, however, no word that this is going to happen.

18. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I have the complete series of Voyager on DVD, but have rarely watched them since I got the set several years ago. I usually stream it off Netflix if I'm in the mood to watch an episode. Of course, if they released it on Blu Ray, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Neither. But DS9 was my fav Trek and Voyager my least fav, apart from the Holodoc. With the save due to the Holodoc, Kirk et al remained my least fav crew.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm pretty sure I'd buy DS9, but they'd have to do a season at a time for me to afford it, the way they did TNG. I know a lot of folks like full-series sets, but at the prices they want, it's too expensive initially to jump all-in on a big series like that.

I can't say I wouldn't ultimately do VOYAGER too, - I own them all on DVD - but DS9 is more of a priority for me. The DVDs are so-o-o ugly looking because of the compression on DVD and the fact that the creators deliberately made the show dark. VOYAGER was a better-lit show, so it looks passable on DVD.

As for aspect ratio, any attempt better be 4:3 or they can count me out. I love the widescreen ENTERPRISE in HD, but it was shot that way. The other series were all framed and designed for 4:3, and that's the only way to watch them.

Harry

21. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I am a big fan of ST:TOS and ST:TNG.

I never could get into the other series.

But I hope they release them for the rest of you.

Linger63 likes this.
  22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I would definitely buy DS9 and would consider Voyager. I started both series when broadcast and stopped half way through. I am waiting for series sets to catch up, with HD preferred.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

If I had to choose, it'd be DS9 but ultimately I'd be up for both if it was a realistic possibility. Damn, the work done on those TNG sets was impressive.

24. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Definitely for both. It's just too bad that that is never going to happen. The best we're going to get is DVD releases.

25. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I'm OK with the DVD box sets, no they are not great but serviceable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.