'Star Wars' Braintrust Plots Leia's Life After Carrie Fisher's Death

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

McDiarmid was great in this scene too...

2. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Not from a Jedi...

3. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

[​IMG]

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Perhaps Leia's character could be depicted via "hologram" technology (Tupac) in the franchise going forward, it carries over from Ep 4 where most of us all saw Carrie Fischer throughout the 1977 film debut.

Sondek likes this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Nope. Don't do it. Don't do CGI. Don't re-cast (dumb, dumb idea). Find a creative way to kill her off. Heck, it may make Episode IX better than their previous plans.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Just to clarify, to wrap up production on the recent film she did.

Sorry about that earlier post!!

7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Hey man, no worries. I used your post as a jumping off point, not as a specific reply to you.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

If they do an offscreen death, I wouldn't mind if they use CGI to create a ghost Leia.

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I hadn't thought much about recasting the role, but that's certainly a possibility, although I think it would be really tough to pull off.

One thought that occurred to me - we don't know how far in the future IX was slated to take place. If it's far enough out (or at least a chunk at the end is far enough out), they could pick an older actress...or Luke and Leia could both be dead from old age...

I'm not sure who the heck could replace Carrie Fisher, though. Debra Winger? Someone online suggested Stevie Nicks, which I thought was crazy for a moment, but could totally see working. I think it would have to be someone a little off the wall for it to work.

10. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I thought the CGI Leia was pretty cool!

11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Stevie Nicks would be interesting perhaps. I'd have to see that before I'd green-light that for public consumption.

12. Lord Summerisle

CGI Ghost leia 100%

13. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

How would this sound:
    The credits in the beginning of the film explains how Princess Leia died from a heroic act (To be decided)
    The first scene of the film is of Princess Leia's funeral
    Luke Skywalker enters a sealed room where he views Princess Leia's holographic "Living Will" & final message
    The final message tells him her spirit will be elevated to the "Royalty" level of their version of heaven & she will
    only be able to inspire & guide him silently through the power of the force.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They'd still have to have an actress come in and do the voice.

15. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Just do this and forget about the spirit:

16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Creating a CGI version of 2015/16 Carrie Fisher could well be tougher than doing the young version, I dunno. And replacing/replicating her 2015/16 voice could be difficult as well.

I can't envision recasting the role. CGI in some limited capacity like a ghost-type visual seems plausible (in terms of what I think Disney *could* do, not what I think they *should* do). I think the simplest solution is the best, though. We don't see or hear her in the final film (unless they have some Episode 7 & 8 outtake scenes or something that would actually work in the context of Episode 9).

I'm still curious if the "she finished shooting Episode 8" reports are wholly accurate. Principle photography was over, but surely they may have used her for re-shoots and looping dialogue, etc. They may well have ended up having to reshape her role in Episode 8 *not* simply to mold the story for a new version of Episode 9 that doesn't feature her, but also because some of her Episode 8 footage may not be usable because they would have re-shot it or needed to loop the dialogue. Yes, there are plenty of workarounds. But I think, especially with a story that entails so many other characters, they should go with the "less is more" approach with Fisher's role.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

All it would take is one instance in 8 where she was in peril...

That could easily be moved around to account for her death (announced in the Episode 9 crawl or in an actual scene in 8, if she were injured in lying down).

Then some rewrites for IX.

18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I say keep the story as written. Recast the role if the role is essential to the story. If Leia did indeed have a much larger and more essential role in 9, the story should not be dramatically altered.

As I stated in the other thread, another possibility is that they shift some of the footage shot for 8 to 9 if it doesn't require a massive overhaul of the story.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. Lord Summerisle

I doubt they'll recast her.

supermd and Encuentro like this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I don't believe they will either. Lucasfilm has already officially announced that they won't resort to CGI. So that leaves a couple of possibilities: She dies offscreen, or she's off somewhere doing something else.

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hope it's not the latter. Hearing two characters constantly talk about what she's doing or wondering where she is would be really, really lame.

Then again, the former could be pretty lame too...

[​IMG]

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm sure they would just mention her being somewhere else in passing.

Regarding Leia passing away off-screen, Star Trek Beyond handled Nimoy's passing very well, in my opinion, though his Spock wasn't a major character in the Star Trek reboot films. Then again, Leia wasn't really a major character in The Force Awakens either.

I completely disagree with those who say they should portray Leia's passing onscreen in some way. That would be downright ghoulish.

23. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I thought there were reports that all of the main older/original characters had undergone some sort of laser face mapping technique.
    Was this only for possible future use of their characters in EX to EXII etc?

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I imagine it was done to make the faces on the toys more realistic. I know they do that kind of thing with wrestlers for wrestling figures.

25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Recasting would be the worst solution.

Carrie Fisher is Princess Leia and Carrie Fisher is dead. That means Leia is, too. They need to take whatever footage they can use and finish out her character's life. Anything else would be distracting and/or disrespectful.

Could she even really be a Jedi ghost? In this storyline, she never trained to learn the ways of the force.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.