Star Wars coming to Blu-ray! (part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Just finished watching Ep. I, II and III.

For me the worst of the entire saga remains Attack of the Clones. The "romance" between Anakin and Padmé is so awful it must have been written by a 9 year old with poor understanding of human relationships and behaviour.
    All the actors' performances are terrible (mention spéciale to Christensen), maybe except from the guy who plays Jango Fett.

At least in Phantom Menace Liam Neeson was great. This episode wasn't as bad as I remembered it; I tried to excise JarJar's antics from the movie and it worked much better.

The story of Revenge is better, and the art direction as well, but everything goes by the motions to the unsurprising conclusion. Some actors are still freewheeling (Ian McDiarmid/Palpatine) but everyone's a bit better.

Overall, it was quite a disappointing experience: bad directing, incredibly bad dialogue, a lot of awful choices... for a very few and sparse moments of brillance.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I came across a used copy of this set yesterday and bit the bullet and picked it up - at least Lucas won't see another penny from me.

I watched Phantom Menace and agree with Plan9's comments above; Liam Neeson was the best thing about the movie and the series may have been better if he'd played Obi-Wan. I really did not like Ewan McGregor in this film and can't remember if he improves in the following ones. The character of Anakin would have been better played by a slightly older actor with some dramatic talent. His mother was great, though!

Overall, not as bad as I remember. I'll move on to the next one next week.

Plan9 likes this.
  3. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I watched I and II last week and - I'm loath to admit this - having watched each at least a half dozen times over the years I finally hit on (for me) a plausible approach to watching the prequel films. If you take them on the level of the old 30s/40s serials so beloved by Lucas, with their dodgy plots and stilted acting you might just be in the right headspace to enjoy them. The prequels have the above elements, but with superior special effects and sound design.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Sounds about right; that's probably EXACTLY why he directs the way he does.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It is a little weird (as pointed out by The Secret History of Star Wars) to consider that Anakin Skywalker appears to be maybe 21-22 at the end of Revenge of the Sith, where he loses his arm(s) and legs and soon afterwards gets turned into Darth Vader. And then about 20 years later, he eventually gets reunited with his son in Jedi... but when Luke removes Vader's helmet, what we see is a 70+ year old man! The real Anakin Skywalker should only be about 40 (even considering the burns and scars).

This lends credence to Michael Kaminski's theory that Lucas had never intended for Darth Vader to be Luke's father when the screenplay for Episode 4 was first written. I think ultimately, it makes sense, but the casting of this actor in Jedi is a troubling issue.

I still want to see the deleted scenes of Anakin slaughtering all the people who kidnapped his mother, and also the scene where he murders all the little kids. :eek:

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Fixed that! :)

Age wasn't the issue with E1's Anakin - it was Jake Lloyd's lack of talent. They could've gotten a much better actor in the same age group - Jake was just overmatched in the role...

Vidiot likes this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

I always had the impression that the Empire had been in place for quite a while - Ben's comments in Star Wars being the prime example. Apparently, 20 years is more than enough for both Obi-Wan and Anakin to age dramatically and for almost the entire population - even in out-of-the-way places like Tatooine, to act like the Empire had been in place for generations.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru look more than 20 years older, too!

9. DreadPikathulhu

It must be all of that sun on Tatooine. It can't be good for the skin.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, the ages don't work out particularly well, though I don't think Obi-wan's off by a ton. He should probably be mid-50s in "Star Wars" and Guinness was 62 during the shoot, so he's not off by that much.

For comparison, Joel Edgerton - E2's Lars - was 27 at the time of the shoot, so he should be roughly 47 in "Star Wars". Phil Brown was 60 and looked like he was about 100.

E2's Beru was only 19, while Shelagh Fraser was 56 during the shoot of "Star Wars". Another bad connection!

Sebastian Shaw was 77 when they made "Jedi" - not too close to the 40-something Anakin, huh?

Plan9 likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Always bugged me too.

13. Bren

Bren Forum Resident

Regarding the age discrepancies, it's nothing another round of CGI cannot fix. :sigh:

14. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing your informative insights in the podcast, Marc! Very much enjoyed it!

It was pleasing to hear you draw a moment’s recognition to the cinematographers on the Original Trilogy. Peter Susc-hit-zky's (forum won't let me spell out his name fully!) use of colour and shadow in the Cloud City carbon freeze scenes of EMPIRE, in particular, is stunning.

I wholeheartedly agree regarding the VFX. Some of the best shots were simple yet emotionally effective ones. The twin sunset with the swelling John Williams score is an indelible moment in the saga.

The glimpse you provided into the Lowry restoration process, and its grain management algorithm, was also particularly interesting.

Thanks again!

15. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Jedi on bluray makes for a trippy viewing experience. The green screen speeder bike stuff has not aged well, and there's a weird look to Luke's close-ups right after he chops off Vader's hand. (spoiler!)

Might have always looked like that, but I never noticed before.

16. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Looking at all the "improvements" made in the movies, I wonder if the technology exists to redo or improve the Speeder Bike green screen work. The stop animation looks fine, but the green screen stuff looks awful.

Could that be improved?

Going through some of the special features, I had to laugh when a green screen shot of C3PO and Luke in a Landspeeder was cut from "Hope" because it didn't look good enough.

17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

It's just a re-packaging that comes with DVD this time.

19. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

I got this set I think a few months after it came out. Really enjoyed it. By far, my favorite is probably Empire Strikes Back. I thought they could have gotten a better actor for the part of Anakin Skywalker for the prequels. I also thought they should have left the original Anakin Skywalker when Luke sees their spirits at the end of Return of the Jedi. I had the original films on VHS from the 1990s (not sure if that one was a remaster also) so I guess I'm used to that version of Anakin Skywalker at the end of Return of the Jedi.

I thought it would have been cool if they included the deleted scenes in the actual movie rather than in the extras.

20. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

One of my biggest gripes with the prequels is at the end of Revenge of the Sith, we learn that Darth Vader had fathered twins and one went to live with his relatives on Tatooine and one went to live on Alderaan. Now if somebody is watching for the first time, all the reveals from the original series spoiled.

Chad

Vidiot likes this.
  21. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

If they're watching Star Wars for the first time and they're starting with the prequels, they deserve all the spoilers they get. They don't deserve Star Wars in the first place.

LivingForever likes this.
  22. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

"Yippee!"

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Cruel, but true.

I still wanna know why Vader was five feet from her daughter in the first movie and never picked up on that. And was ignorant about Luke until about the middle of the second film. It's as if the story was being made up as they went along... :sigh:

24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Isn't that pretty much what happened?

Plan9 and Vidiot like this.
  25. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

The force was not strong in that one.

Chad

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.