Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Classicolin, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

AOTC was on tv the other day. What I don't get- Kenobi discovers the clones by tracking Fett to the planet. Basically, the Republic's army wouldn't have been discovered if the donor (Fett) hadn't been trying to kill Padme. How was no suspicion aroused?

Plan9 likes this.
  2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The Jedi were pretty incompetent through out the entire series. As a kid I always thought they were these bad ass warrior monks who protected the galaxy. Turns out they were a bunch of morons.

FVDnz, tkl7, YardByrd and 6 others like this.
  3. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Holy God this is funny...

Tyrone often cracks me up but today he was in rare form.

FVDnz likes this.
  4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Super 8.

Plan9 and David Campbell like this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The only "assistance" he got was a reminder to "use the Force". Presumably this was actually Force ghost Obi-Wan talking to Luke and not just Luke imagining things and deciding to use the Force on his own initiative.

Your grumbling about "lack of training" neglects the fact that Rey grew up in a very dangerous environment and already seemed to be competent wielding a pike. We were also shown that she had the ability to pick up on Force powers from another Force user, in this instance Kylo Ren. So seeing her get away from a badly-injured Kylo Ren later in the film - who was ordered to capture her alive - was no huge surprise and far less of an achievement than a farmboy with like 10 minutes of light saber training blowing up the Empire's moon-sized battlestation on his first flight, while being chased by Darth Vader himself.

BeatleJWOL, tkl7 and CraigBic like this.
  6. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

since obi-wan's voice is audible to the audience as well as luke, it's not just him imagining things.

as far as Rey goes, I find her boring. She defeats Ren in the first movie, and again in the second. I am not going to bother to see her defeat him a third time in the latest movie. Luke changed from movie to movie in the original trilogy. I noticed no change in Rey from "the force awakens" to "the last jedi."

if you want to keep repeating the same points you've already made, knock yourself out. but you've not succeeded in persuading me of the merits of the sequel trilogy.

Motorcity supernaut and YardByrd like this.
  7. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

To be fair to Rey's arc,The Last Jedi takes place literally right after TFA. That is one of my bones to pick with TLJ ( I.E. there was a way to pay off the cliffhanger ending of TFA without setting the entire movie so closer to that one) which was a disservice to the character . There should have clearly been some more time elapsed between parts one and two. Rey does grow as a character by the end,but since it's clear your entire case is predicated on "MaRey Sue ruined muh Star Wars" and thus aren't open to any other view point, it's pointless to mention them again.

tkl7, sunspot42 and CraigBic like this.
  8. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

One thing I think we can all agree on (other than the fact Mike Zeroh is probably the worst Star Wars YouTube click baiter) is that John Williams' score for IX is flipping fantastic. I'm just listening to it on Tidal now.

Even if you are not enthusiastic about this movie going in,as film and music fans (that I'm assuming we all are given the nature of this forum) ,we owe it to ourselves to experience this movie in the cinema if only for his score.

There are great film composers out there for sure,but John Williams is the last of an era of Hollywood fading away like a Jedi joining the Force . Unless Indy 5 gets the ball rolling soon,and given John's age,this very well may be his final full length film score. A melodic companion in the old Hollywood tradition. They literally don't score films like these any more.

Think about it,how many film series in the history of cinema has had the same artist score each installment of it over so many decades? I can't think of any besides John on Star Wars.

Truly a milestone. The maestro's last symphony.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    SJP, daca, kouzie and 6 others like this.
  9. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Can't wait to hear it. That's a common comment I'm hearing from all reviewers.

10. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I'm hoping that like The Last Jedi it comes out on Vinyl without gimmicks like a hologram and a picture disc.

George's mystery film kind of falls apart at the end when it doesn't answer the questions it poses. I suspect he thought that he could clear all this up in Episode 3 only to realize he didn't have time to do so in that movie which is why that film has all these moments where he uses the most ham-fisted dialogue to wrap up a plot point here and there.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Plan9 and sunspot42 like this.
  11. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

The Obi Wan/Jango fight alone is better than Episode 7 &8 combined.

DLeet and Motorcity supernaut like this.
  12. Neil Anderson

if you find Rey to be an interesting and compelling character, i'm not going to try to change your mind. i don't, and I don't find the new male characters interesting either.

13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I did. She came in a seeker, didn't find what she was looking for and came out forging her own path.

And you're not persuading me Luke's feat was less impressive for a novice pilot than Rey - seemingly a reasonably skilled fighter to begin with - merely surviving an encounter with a badly-wounded Kylo Ren. In spite of Obi-Wan telling him to "use the Force" - useless advice unless Luke is one hell of a Mary Sue with the Force.

14. Neil Anderson

that's at least the fourth time you've stated your position. are you going to go for a fifth?

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'll go for a sixth and a seventh, too.

tkl7, marmalade166 and David Campbell like this.
  16. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

For anyone who's seen this film already... do they give a good reason how exactly Palpatine survived Return of the Jedi...?

If they take a "well, he just did... explanation over" approach, that might be a deal-breaker in me deciding whether to actually go or not...

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was never impressed by Palpatine. He looked kinda fey to me, like some cat iu a linen suit at Club Med.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  18. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I think they pull it off well enough if you are expecting a paragraph of exposition you won't get it but I think when you see the film it will become evident.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Currently listening to the soundtrack via Spotify. Im enjoying it

20. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

There's a so-called explanation but it's nebulous... and his ability to conjure up a massive fleet is ridiculous...

21. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Yes. He had strong feeling Vader was going to wuss out on him so he put a bunch of mattresses at the bottom. Real cushy, plush top...

22. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Do you mean the E.T. reboot/reimagining?

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  23. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Conjure up? You think perhaps him laying out of sight for 30 or more years wasn't enough time for him to prepare such a fleet?

Stormrider77 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

And here I thought that he waved his magic wand and said "ahla peanut butter sandwiches" and the fleet was conjured up. Feeling rather cheated tbh.

David Campbell and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I did not like TLJ, but it mostly has nothing to do with the reasons the Fandom Menace hates it.

BeatleJWOL and David Campbell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.