Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Classicolin, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

You said yourself that "these final three left me comatose..." if that's not hating I'm not sure what you'd consider hating to be. No need to brag about having seen Empire and Return of the Jedi in theaters.

2. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Really? Can you recall a line that you considered to be "Prequel bad"? The film wasn't perfect but the dialogue didn't strike me as being one of its weaknesses.

3. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

The credibility-straining return of the Emperor reminds me of the similarly far-fetched reappearance of the Cigarette-Smoking Man in the recent X-Files trainwreck.

4. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I'm afraid I can't, my short term memory is shot to pieces

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I didn't see TLJ, so I think I can safely sit this one out as well.

6. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Well, you said "all these films" as opposed to "final three films"... you can see why I interpreted it the way I did... and it's not bragging, it's merely stating personal history...

Papi Hipbone323 and FACE OF BOE like this.
  7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Dialog worse than the prequels? Oh dear God.

8. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Well as someone who missed out on even the special editions screenings because for some reason my parents weren't bothered to take me at the time, therefore, I will likely never have an opportunity to see them in the cinema ever it comes off as bragging.

I assure you it is NOT worse than the prequels.

9. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

With this group of characters and timeline it probably is. They'll probably be other material set within the Palpatine/Skywalker saga,but as far as "saga' films this is it.

My guess whatever happens next cinematically will be set in the days of the ancient old Republic or far in the future of the new Republic.

10. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

'Star Wars': Lucasfilm boss leaves door open for Skywalkers to return

11. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I like the headline: "It was previously understood that the new film would signal the end for this era of the franchise."

I was always under the impression that it is currently understood that Disney will make as many of these as possible, as long as people buy tickets.

Papi Hipbone323, twicks and YardByrd like this.
  12. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

A trainwreck of a movie. This part of the plot is so horrible that I'm ignoring its existence from now on.

A weakened Rey hears the voices of past Jedi, including Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda. They encourage Rey to rise against Palpatine, who attacks her with his Force lightning. Rey deflects the lightning with Luke and Leia’s lightsabers, killing Palpatine, but dies from the energy used. Ben resurrects her using the Force and the two kiss before he dies and becomes one with the force.

Papi Hipbone323 and MPLRecords like this.
  13. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Way to put the Spoiler tag in your
    post.

14. daca

You are absolutely correct. Nor is it the last appearance of a Skywalker.

I would LOVE to know how she got this job. I used to think Crazy Uncle George was bad (after ESB,) but she makes him look like Frances Ford Coppola in comparison.

YardByrd and twicks like this.
  15. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Honestly what's the point of this movie? Too close out a convoluted "trilogy"?

The original Star Wars was a unique and exhilarating film filled with a sense of awe and hints of a larger back story. Kudos to Lucas.
    TESB was a great follow up that fleshed out the promise of this larger story. Kudos to Irvin Kershner.
    ROTJ was a huge missed opportunity with some great moments and a satisfying ending. Kudos (and shame) on Lucas.

What has the rest of the Star Wars universe been? Utter nonsense. The prequel trilogies are some of the worst films ever made. They have a somewhat interesting story but are filled with awful dialogue, no chemistry between characters, lousy direction, and (worst of all) the idea that more (and bigger) of everything is better. They diminish the uniqueness and the powers of the Jedi in the original trilogy by seemingly giving every Jedi and potential Jedi (and already established ones like Yoda) ridiculous powers. Remember midi-chlorians or whatever the hell they were? Remember Anakin being the chosen one? All gone.

Now the sequel trilogy. TFA is nothing more than a rewrite of Star Wars with new characters, plain and simple. It may as well have been a reboot. Fun but pointless. TLJ at least tried to take things in a new direction (for better or for worse) but whose more radical and "offensive" plot points have been discarded, apparently, to appease the offended fan boys and bring closure to this "trilogy" through banality.

I mean seriously? What's the point of carrying on with this nonsense if it can't be done even remotely right and/or in a fresh way?

Star Wars, in my mind, died with ROTJ. It wasn't a great ending but it was a good one. The vast majority of the rest has been, unfortunately, absolute dreck.

16. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

She's married with Frank Marshall and was good buddy with Spielberg back in the day.

17. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

To be fair, this isn't really a spoiler. It's in the trailers.

BeatleJWOL and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  18. David Campbell

Thank "crazy uncle George". He was the one who hand picked her before the Disney sale was a sure thing.

How? She was a trusted friend for 30 years and had a stellar career as a producer on a ton of great movies. That's how.

Just because she made a couple Star Wars movies people didn't like doesn't disqualify her from her current job or invalidate her long career. All it means is she's made a couple Star Wars movies that people didn't like. If you use that standard,then George should have been removed as head of Lucasfilm after The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

I do think she's probably on her way out regardless of how TROS does at the box office. They aren't going to publicly fire her and humiliate her as the Fandom Menace would like to see happen,but I think once her current contract ends she'll just quietly retire.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    lambfan68 and coffeetime like this.
  19. daca

It has been more than a couple.

George should have fired himself after introducing the “Ewoks” in ROTJ.

Phantom Menace: terrible. The only saving grace was Lucas had three great actors, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Ray Park that even made that film remotely, somewhat tolerable.

Attack of the Clones was a train wreck into a dumpster fire. No redeeming quality at all.

20. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Forbes.com is calling it the worst Star Wars movie ever made... claiming the funniest parts of the movie are unintentional.

21. David Campbell

TFA was a multibillion dollar hit. Rogue one was billion dollar hit. TLJ was divisive but a billion dollar hit. Solo was a box office flop but quite a few fans like it. The box office jury is still out for ROS . Critical reaction is mixed.

Plus the Mandalorian on TV is a smash.

So far only SOLO has been a box office stumble and we won't know about TROS until it's run is up. One flop,one critical dud and possible underperformer. So,yes a couple films.

And no,the wailing and gnashing of teeth of a bunch of people on social media and message forums don't count. Box office is what counts in Hollywood,like it or not. Doesn't mean something is good or bad but that's not what we are talking about here.

Robert C and marmalade166 like this.
  22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

A movie can make $1 billion and still underperform. I'm sure Disney wants Star Wars to be making Infinity War/Endgame numbers.

daca likes this.
  23. David Campbell

Not surprising given the reviewer Scott Mendelson was a staunch and enthusiastic about The Last Jedi and was very distainful of the very vocal Fandom Menace and he feels like JJ Abrams went out of his way to pander to them. So make of that what you will.

To be fair I'm nervous. Two posters here whose opinions I value have seen it and one liked it a lot and the other didn't. I'm going in tomorrow at noon with no expectations other than a good time at the movies.

24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Isn't this the default excuse for everyone defending one of these misfires? "Just turn off your brain and enjoy the ride."

Especially considering the original trilogy showed that it was possible to have an exhilarating ride that also engaged your brain and imagination.

mpayan, daca and YardByrd like this.
  25. David Campbell

Can you provide me links to where Disney has said this? Do you work for Disney? Any inside source?

And I'm sorry, a billion dollar movie is NOT a flop no way you slice it. Marvel does better overseas, especially China. China has never warmed to Star Wars even the originals, because they only got the OG Star Wars in the late 90s. Their first exposure to SW was the prequels. Right there Star Wars has a built in handicap. The fact TFA made what it did without a huge haul from China is somewhat miraculous .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.