Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I have to say I did get a tweak of nostalgia watching that trailer. First saw Star Wars in the theater when I was 7.

mark renard likes this.
  2. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

checks out. looking forward to this.

3. progrocker71

You see the hand when he touches R2 (I'm guessing it's Luke in that scene, it's a mechanical hand), the light saber scene is a human hand.

bru87tr likes this.
  4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

BB-8 (the newball droid) seems like an engineering marvel. EVERYONE was convinced that thing was CGI was the first teaser trailer was released.

Smiths22 likes this.
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Are the Stormtroopers on Hoth?

6. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

That's my concern too. There was also some chatter about a return to practical effects as opposed to CG, but a lot of this looks CG to me. I'd like to be wrong, of course.

Whatever the quality of the script and the acting, the one thing I don't think we can escape is the fact that the Hollywood machine that cranks out blockbusters tends to render all films looking more or less the same. Camera movements, certain types of post-processing, the tendency to cram the frame full of details, etc., are also stylistic tropes that have become embedded in these types of movies. There's a certain sensibility to modern big budget films that didn't exist when all the transformative films from 75-84 came out, and it's that period for which many of us are nostalgic. We want to go back to a time when filmmakers were discovering how to create an entirely new type of cinema. That just ain't gonna happen.

7. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Oh...you mean Luke.

:shh:

8. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

That's Lukes lightsabre from Empire :eek:

bru87tr likes this.
  9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I might have to scrap my first attempt at home theater and take it up a few notches before the blu-ray comes along. Speaking of which, there will be violence if one or more of the "exclusives" from Target, BBY, etc are particularly desirable and scarce.

I don't want to derail the thread, but could someone just tell me if there's any chance that the original theatricals will see the light of day on blu-ray before this new one comes out?

bru87tr likes this.
  10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

There's some truth to that, but if some of the sci-fi/fantasy films of the last decade or so hit the screens back in the early 80s, then Star Wars would have been forgotten real quick.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Widely rumored for this fall, but nothing remotely confirmed.

bru87tr likes this.
  12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

This story includes the remaining original actors and characters. So if they're going to replicate the magic of the originals, they've certainly got that going for them.

It while it may be difficult to replicate, these previews have me very optimistic. They've got that sort of spirit so far, in my opinion. Obviously there's no way to know until the movie comes out.

Billy Budapest and bru87tr like this.
  13. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

My son liked Reveng of the Sith so he should be okay with this one.

14. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Just watched the latest trailer with the kids. I'm optimistic and maybe even a little excited. It can't possibly be as bad as the prequels, so I got that going for me.
    And I'll go on record and say that our dogs, Yoda, Obi, and Solo seemed to perk their ears while we played the trailer. And I'm pretty sure that if Vader and Jedi were still with us they would have perked their ears also. :D :cheers:

15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Looked like an old hand giving it to a young hand to me. I will have to rewatch.

Seeing what Luke is saying, I assumed it was Leia giving it to her daughter ?

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

This is new dialog and it wasn't said exactly like that in ROTJ.

17. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

But originally belonged to Anakin Skywalker until the closing moments of Episode III.

18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luke The Drifter and mikeyt like this.
  19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

That is a odd looking hand.

20. progrocker71

It's a mixture of practical effects and CG. If the scene they devised is possible to pull off with practical effects they did them that way, if not, they used CG. In the old days scripts were often written with technical limitations in mind, these days there are no limitations to what you can pull off visually on screen. It's a different process for a different world.

The shots in the trailer looked gorgeous to me, if the effect is convincing I really don't care how it was achieved.

21. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Unlikely, for at least two reasons. First, Star Wars initiated a sea change in Hollywood and was such a touchstone for a generation of viewers that its legacy is secure. Second, the more recent (from The Matrix forward) sci-fi/fantasy films are the result of developments in technology that didn't exist in the 80s.

22. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Solaris,

Do you think Ford looks asleep in the clip?

23. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I was thinking he used be a little more animated in his movements. But the character (and the actor who plays him) is obviously older so I'll let it slide. Seeing the character standing next to Chewie almost brought a tear to my eye.

24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

My understanding has always been that the film is going to be a combination of practical effects and CGI which is fine by me. I don't have a problem with CGI in and of itself. I have a problem with the way in which it's been employed. Most modern-day science-fiction/adventure films look like animated features. I don't believe that this is the case with The Force Awakens. It appears to be a nice balance of practical effects and CGI. As has been pointed out, BB-8 could easily have been created using CGI, but they chose to go the traditional route. They're using models and real locations and sets.

I agree with your points about the commonplace look of science-fiction/adventure films nowadays, particularly your point about cramming the screen with multiple details. It's over the top and makes it difficult to enjoy the films. This is the reason why I wasn't particularly thrilled with The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. The screen is just saturated with CGI images. It becomes boring to watch. Sometimes less is more.

Plan9 and bru87tr like this.
  25. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Kind of looks like Luke's thumb, doesn't it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.