Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's nothing new. And frankly I thought most of what TFA "setup" was pretty lame. I think TLJ ends with a much more interesting predicament.

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Interested to know what you think these were. Can you give some examples?

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

2 hours of actual unused/deleted scenes? That seems like a huge amount.

Looks like a nice set though. Glad they are not making people double dip like they did TFA.

Encuentro and David Campbell like this.
  4. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

2 hours bonus material total. I seem to recall reading that the deleted scenes tally up to about 20 minutes.

turnersmemo and Jim B. like this.
  5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

There should be some interesting fan edits made............with the use of the deleted scenes.

6. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

For those carping about the movie's "disappointing" box office as compared to The Force Awakens, consider this: After 38 days of release, The Last Jedi is running approximately 31% behind Force Awakens, but Attack of the Clones and The Empire Strikes Back similarly trailed the previous films in their respective trilogies, too.

In its initial theatrical run, Empire grossed $209.4M while A New Hope earned $307.3M, a drop of roughly 32%. For the Prequels in their initial runs, Clones took $302.2M versus Phantom Menace's haul of $431.1M, a drop of about 30%. After 38 days of release, The Last Jedi's earnings are exactly in line with middle chapters in other trilogies. You can't ignore those facts.

For the record, the third chapter films Jedi and Sith respectively performed approx. 20% and 26% better in their initial theatrical runs than their immediate predecessors. If history is any kind of guide, Episode IX will do just fine.

Source:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...d=starwars.htm

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Adjusted for inflation it is the 8th highest grossing (US Domestic) film this century, which is pretty damn good. People can knock the film artistically if they like but they can't really knock the box office.

Less people go to the cinema these days, but that is compensated by with streaming and DVD/BD sales, so that will be another huge chunk of cash to add to the profits.

sunspot42 and bferr1 like this.
  8. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

I don’t even see what the problem is with this. It’s
    been brought up several times and never quite defended in this way but: they didn’t know they were related! And nothing happened between them anyway! So maybe Luke *was* smitten at one point. Maybe they *did* flirt. But nothing happened! Even this innocent probably closed-mouthed kiss was only done to tease Han anyway! *That’s* really where the sexual tension was.

9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Episode IX will be about a decimated resistance who are still on the run and turn to the only ones who can help them defeat the first order...the Ewoks.

turnersmemo, supermd, Jim B. and 3 others like this.
  10. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Don't forget the Gungans!

11. malcolm reynolds

What are those?

David Campbell likes this.
  12. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

ianuaditis and David Campbell like this.
  13. malcolm reynolds

Ah, the fake Star Wars films.

David Campbell likes this.
  14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Neither did George Lucas...

lambfan68 and David Campbell like this.
  15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I'm imagining an Aliens v. Predators movie, but with Ewoks and Gungans. Franchise potential. Box office gold!

16. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

So...After seeing The People vs. George Lucas last week and then this following compilation video of all the Last Jedi rants on YouTube...I've come to the conclusion that a sizable chunk ( a minority...But a sizable chunk) of Star Wars fans are absolutely nuts and don't know what the hell they want.

The guy at the very tail end of the video...Yikes. I HOPE that was an act...

To be clear, I'm not saying everyone who disliked TLJ is like this or in this category. Im probably somewhere in between loving it and not liking it, But ...Yikes. there are some good points made but the childishness and entitlement in this is toxic.

If this indeed drives some of these people away from fandom... I'm honestly not that upset about it and neither is Lucasfilm I imagine. If some these people where running the show, Star Wars would truly be dead.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    TheVU and sunspot42 like this.
  17. David Campbell

I think the point that was being made by the comparison is not about the dynamic itself, but rebutting the idea that TLJ seemingly dropping plot set ups and character arcs set up by the previous movie was a Star Wars first that never happened under Lucas, when ultimately, that's exactly what Return of the Jedi did by retconning the sister of Luke as Leia.

Until the making of Jedi, Luke's sister was going to be a separate character from Leia entirely and yes, Lucas had set up a Luke, Leia and Han love triangle Which would have resolved with Han winning Leia's heart before his demise and ultimately Destiny and duty splitting Leia and Luke appart as she took up leadership of the new Republic and Luke going off to find his sister and rebuild the Jedi Order and hunt down a fled Palpatine, Which was the original germ of the sequel trilogy when it was originally slated to be made in the late 80s.

Of course, when Lucas' marriage collapsed, things changed. So he scrapped the sequel idea and just made Leia the sister, tying off that thread.

The Last Jedi by comparison didn't drop anything set up by TFA. It was just the resolutions and continuation of those set ups disappointed and angered people who had already decided in their heads that Rey was a Skywalker, Snoke was someone from Star Wars lore and Luke was going to train Rey and be Jedi Superman Gary Stu-ex machina and take back his " rightful " place as the central Character.

18. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

I am not sure about this retconning thing. Lucas may have had another idea for Luke's sister but "Empire" strongly suggests that she is force sensitive and therefore, Luke's sister.

19. David Campbell

I think the idea was Leia was possibly Force sensitive...Not that she was blood relation.

Of course this was also during a time Lucas hadn't committed to the whole Midichlorians idea ( although it was something he toyed with from early on) and actually his philosophy about how the Force worked was that anyone could have force potential with proper training and belief. It's been documented by Larry Kasdan as being something that was discussed during the writing of Jedi. Of course, Lucas' mind changed by the time he did the prequels.

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think they are all dead! Not sure where we are with canon but the Theed Genocide wiped them all out and those off planet were hunted down and killed.

It's down to the Ewoks I'm afraid.

21. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

It's fanfic, isn't it? The synopsis sure reads like it..

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

If we all believe it enough it will be true.....

23. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Maybe retconned but works perfectly.

24. David Campbell

That's not in dispute really. The only reason it was even mentioned by others was to illustrate that much like the current films, major points of the original trilogy were largely made up as they went along. The main difference between them was that starting with EMPIRE, there was a general outline where things were generally going, and with this current trilogy it isn't clear if that's the case. There are conflicting narratives.

The thing is that George Lucas didn't have a master plan when he filmed the original. There was only one Star Wars movie. Even afterwards when it was clear that there was a desire to continue the franchise, he didn't know where things were heading until he and Kasdan were knee deep into Empire. The narrative that the original trilogy was one large script cut down into three movies isn't true. Now, yes he did incorperate ideas from previous drafts of the first movie and rework them into the later ones , but there was no grand design. It was largely made up as he went along. The only trilogy Which was mapped out from the start were the prequels, and even they were reworked as each one was made.

Stormrider77 and sunspot42 like this.
  25. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Perhaps there are many plot holes in the OT, but at least there's a plot...:) Ok, I admit that I'm a TLJ hater, but really - why so often the fans of TLJ are defending even the rightful criticism, stating that in the OT the things were even worse? Even if there are imperfections in the OT, why this have to be accepted as a norm for the franchise, even now, when Disney have all the resources (much more than Lucas had for the OT), and the story line can be (and should be) planned, outlined and developed in advance (for 3 movies in a course of 5 years it's perfectly normal), without any plot holes, meaningless subplots and hollow characters? Is it so impossible for them to find a story creator/script writer, capable to create a story without such shortcomings? I think it's perfectly normal the fans now to have higher expectations (as far as consistency is concerned, the creativity is another story) compared to 1977-83.
    Besides, I really don't think that in the OT we can find so obvious nonsense. Even the very beginning of the new episode is a complete nonsense - it starts exactly where the previous episode ended, but we still have the opening crawl, that supposed to tell us what happened between episode 7 and 8...and of course, this is it the first time in the whole saga where the opening crawl tell us absolutely nothing. It is just the most obvious example how empty, fabricated and helplessly written is TLJ in general.
    One thing that cannot be denied is that the movie is visually stunning, and it is worth watching just because of this, and IMO it is sad that so much talent, time and budget is spent something visually so brilliant to be created without much of a story to tell.

JuanTCB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.