Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

No one said you needed to do that. I certainly didn't have to in order to grasp the weight of a suicide mission, as well as the loss of one more veteran military leader in a scenario where those are in short supply. That ancillary material is NOT there as a prerequisite but instead as an option that enriches the story for those who want that. Like you said, YMMV.

Stormrider77, SuntoryTime and Jim B. like this.
  2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I mentioned the books because someone earlier (in response so a similar sentiment as mine) said that Holdo's character was fleshed out in one or more of the newer books.

What made you care so much for Holdo and her sacrifice?

I can tell you that I had NO empathy for her character or her suicide mission. In fact, I was disappointed because (as I've alluded to at least once in this thread) I'm a big David Lynch fan and have really enjoyed Dern's work with him and others. But again, YMMV.

3. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

A North Shore reference! :righton:

4. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Who's heroic final mission could've been delegated to a droid. :doh:

delmonaco likes this.
  5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Don't captains go down with their ships? Isn't she de facto captain at that point? Can droids even improvise when situations change? Holdo stayed behind to pilot the cruiser when it was the target, but a new plan was needed when the fleeing transports became the target instead. I'm not sure a droid can think like that.
    All I can say is, YMMV. I saw more value in the Holdo storyline (and the way it concluded) than you did. That doesn't make me right and you wrong, or vice versa. :shrug:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    SuntoryTime and sunspot42 like this.
  6. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I don't have much use for Holdo either as a character, but I was good with having her make the suicide play.

The only reason to have Akbar do it was to be able to throw in fan service and have a resurrection of the "it's a Trap!" meme.

I also see people suggest that once Carrie passed they should have given that moment to Leia via editing and cgi. Of course that would have required extensive rewrites and reshoots at the 11th hour and would have erased the most emotional scene of the whole movie, which was the Luke and Leia reunion. Oddly when I've pointed that out elsewhere, the " it should have been Akbar or Leia!" people dismiss the final scene with Leia and Luke as mere fan service that should have been done away with to allow Leia a dignified on screen death. It's odd to see what some fans deem acceptable fan service and what isn't'.

sunspot42, Encuentro and bferr1 like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I'm experiencing something interesting. I did not enjoy Rogue One at the theatre. I got the DVD and loved it at home. I thought TLJ was just okay at the theatre, and even dragged in places. I just watched the DVD and I loved it. What's up with that?? A friend of mine experienced the same thing.

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Re-adjusted expectations?

sunspot42, Jrr and Aggie87 like this.
  9. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

The theater experience just isn't all it's cracked up to be? :shrug:

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What are you guys talking about? She wasnt even in the movie long enough for anyone to care about. Then again it could have been Finn. Or is it Fin? I care about him enough not even to remember his name.

At least with Ackbar you had a cool crusty old character that people would have raised their fists and cheered as a send off to heroland.

11. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

Why do we have to care about every character? They are just movies and we don’t have to have an emotional connection to every character . They’re just simple entertainment I’m not sure were it came about that nowadays we have to care about the characters.

CraigBic likes this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

You must have loved Rogue One then:laugh:

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Definitely agree on Rogue One. No idea how I got so turned around with TLJ, but I'm glad I ultimately enjoyed it. It would be really disappointing for me to lose interest.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

They already did that as well in the Behind the scenes mini-doc they uploaded before the movie came out.
    I also think it would be highly disrespectful to cut out Carrie's actual acting to replace it with CGI, when they Oliver Reed died during Gladiator they hadn't shot all of his scenes and created his last scene in post. This wouldn't just cut out Leia's last real scene in the movie but her only scene with Mark Hamill. It was much better to give this to Holdo because it's her redemption moment after the movie spends all that time trying to tell you she's a distrustful bureaucrat.

15. David Campbell

I remember the rumors she was supposed to be a first order plant. So I was surprised when you realize Poe was wrong and later when she makes the suicide play.

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. David Campbell

SuntoryTime and sunspot42 like this.
  17. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I wonder for what purpose one should sabotage a movie score, and proudly proclaim his actions. Isn’t the goal of such sabotage to make people believe that the general audience doesn’t like the movie? If I wanted and was capable to do something like this (manipulating audience scores), I would keep it in secret – otherwise, what’s the meaning of doing it at all?

ianuaditis and David Campbell like this.
  18. David Campbell

I would argue it's more about the persons own ego and not as much about the movie they are attempting to drive down. It's about grabbing attention and inflating their self worth and also "proving" to themselves and others what a "true" fan they are that they are willing to hurt the thing they love in order to "save" it. Whatever that means. Also some people just enjoy being jerks and bomb throwers to stir up both sides of a fan base.

Also they probably don't care if it's that transparent because many will deny it's happening in the first place. Case in point early on there were some in this very thread that dismissive of the very possibility that the 49 percent audience score for the last Jedi could in any way be a result of tampering. They also hope not to necesarilly influence fans with a doctored score, but casuals that use RT as a deciding factor on what movies they are going to see. Many casuals dont know about this trolling.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    sunspot42 and CraigBic like this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

So people on forums can say it's a bad film and point to the RT score to somehow back this up, even when they are told it's not accurate ;)

20. David Campbell

Blasphemy! That never happens! Begone, Disney shill! #notmystarwars #downwiththemouse

;)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    sunspot42 and Jim B. like this.
  21. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

It’s more like offering a valid point to the people on forums who happen to like the movie to say that audience scores have to be ignored. ;)

22. David Campbell

They shouldn't be ignored completely, but they should be taken with a grain of salt, especially when you have people gleefully taking credit for mucking things up intentionally.

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I agree, but this group's entire existence doesn't make sense. I guess their goal is to disrupt the public conversation about whatever movie they're targeting, and, if possible, put a dent in its box office performance. They've had success with the former, but, so far, the latter seems to have eluded them, try as they might to portray The Last Jedi as a $1.3B global B.O. failure.

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

To be honest, I learnt about this group here on this forum. Is there actually a proof that they really exist, and that they really did whatever they claim or are taken responsible of?

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Google "Down With Disney’s Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys." Make of it what you will....

sunspot42 and David Campbell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.