Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Yikes.

The Doctor likes this.
  2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Reading those negative audience " reviews" of this movie on RT give the impression most of the loudest complainers are the ones still salty about the EU being officially deemed not canon. The same people who attempted to boycott TFA and intentionally ruin the movie by spaming social media with spoilers in hopes of intentionally hurting the box office. They foolishly thought that if they could make TFA underperform, they could force Disney to recannonize the EU and start making adaptations of those stories into films. As we know, they failed then, and they are trying it still. I think these people are intentionally flooding RT in order to try and hurt this movie for that purpose, probably under multiple names.

I know quite a few Star Wars fans personally , both hardcore and casual, and none of them have given me the " Dizney ruined Star Wars/ Rian Johnson destroyed my childhood" hysterical hyperbolic over reactions. In fact out of, like 10 people I've talked to generally liked it, and only one said they were outright disappointed.

Honestly I still don't know how I ultimately will come down on the movie. Overall I had a good time but I still have issues with certain aspects and storylines, and while I do applaud Rian Johnson for not simply doing what everyone expected and showing serious creative balls, some of the execution is off and as a movie doesn't flow nearly as well as TFA. I'll have to see it again to really crystalize my opinion.

In either case, even if I ultimately decide it didn't work for me, it doesn't mean " Star Wars is ruined for evah! " Or " Dizney is evol bastards! Rian Johnson murdered Star Wars!" Or any hysterical nonsense like that. It just mean they made a movie that I didn't like, which sucks. But I have my OT VHS tapes and Special edition Blu-ray with my Star Wars.its always gonna be there if I want to relive my youth. If they make another Star Wars I like, great. If not, then I move on with my life.

tkl7, Nipper, JPagan and 7 others like this.
  3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

You may check somewhere else (like here )

The debunking of the ''mythical'' Star Wars is something I like about this movie. These are space-operas, designed to amuse; it's hardly biblical or Shakespearean stuff (although it lends quite a lot of the themes like killing your parents or trying to kill your kids....). The think I really disliked about the prequels isn't Jar Jar Binks per sé but the fact it got all too serious with loads of talking beards, stern speeches, loads of explaining and strange dialogues (""Hold me, Ani. Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo...where there was nothing but our love...").
    I think that's always the difficulty with films that attract a steady and fanatic following; many can write a better script and make a better movie than the current makers can. Or so they think. They 'know' what SHOULD have happened to Luke Skywalker and why Rey couldn't have turned up on time on that mineral-mining planet (forgot the name) where the rebels sought refuge....
    I had a great time in the cinema and for me it's one of the better parts of the series, close to "A New Hope", "The Empire Strikes Back" and as strong as "Rogue One"....

Sammy Banderas, JWew, Sondek and 3 others like this.
  4. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

I am a big Star Wars fan, though I haven't seen the movie yet and will be soon, so no spoilers please thanks.
    Question, how was Mark Hamill in his return? He was great in his last SW movie ROTJ, I haven't really seen anything else with him in it. I know his voice acting, and it has been very good.

Edit: I am sure it's very good. I am just as curious about his return to the movies as much as the new movie itself.

5. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

When those fish-headed people on Luke's island were walking around, I couldn't help but have tha Dr. Demento song running through my head....

coffeetime and jamesc like this.
  6. Drew769

I like it when Red is like, "Stop...gee, do you think you got him?"

FVDnz, Sammy Banderas and The Doctor like this.
  7. Drew769

Why would you read a "spoilers possible" thread if you don't want to have the plot spoiled? Just saying!

8. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Ugh, honestly, I hate this kind of thing. I disagree with the criticits here. But why when people disagree with critics are the critics “idiots” or “out of touch” as if being in touch matters at all? People get so mad at critics for not liking a thing they like (or the opposite in this case), but why get mad at them? In day to day life, with people you meet, folks maintain an attitude of tastes are different and like what you like or dislike what you dislike. Everyone is different! But when it comes to critics, we seem to demand that their opinions conform to what the “in touch” crowd thinks and that just irritates me so much.

Now, if you want to question whether some of these reviewers are being genuine and were trying to avoid pissing of the Disney machine, then that’s fair because I wondered it myself. But if that’s their honest opinions, it doesn’t mean that they’re idiots and it’s, in my opinion, silly to be upset with them for seeing things different from how you see them.

FVDnz and David Campbell like this.
  9. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

The film gets even better with each watch. Love it. Just got invited to my 4th watch :hide::wiggle:

FVDnz, Matt Starr, Nipper and 9 others like this.
  10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Luke is older, grizzled and no longer youthful. Mark in turn has never been better in the role; he absolutely sells Luke’s POV in this film. Any more would be teling.

11. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

One thing I don't get is the complaints about how upset or angry Luke seems to be. I mean, the guy spent most of his adult life believing in the ways of the Jedi, and in the end he felt like it was all a lie. How else would you expect him to act?

Bowie Fett, FVDnz, Matt Starr and 6 others like this.
  12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Your usage of "real fans" got my No True Scotsman senses tingling.

13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Hamill is great in this film. Possibly his best performance as Skywalker yet.

I wouldn't stick around on this thread if I were you, you'll get end up seeing spoilers.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  14. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

People moaning about this film are entirely missing the point. It’s a big, epic piece of entertainment, with some laughs, lots of emotion, lots of excitement – and no Jar Jar. You meet some old friends and make some new ones. The effects are spectacular. It looks stunning. The acting is pretty solid. And Kylo and Rey make a dynamic couple.

FVDnz, Nipper, Song4U and 4 others like this.
  15. Gethan Wall

Gethan Wall Agent Provocateur

[​IMG]

Wow.

coffeetime and Sammy Banderas like this.
  16. Bowie Fett

17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I think it's consistent with the character that we've seen. I don't think he truly "likes" Rey at all (though he could, I suppose). He's very emotionless, other than rage and hate. It is possible he views her as his primary threat in the known universe, because she appears to be stronger with the Force than he is. So wanting her to join him so they can rule the universe may be a case where if he succeeds in convincing her to do so, he can perhaps control her or at least prevent her from opposing him.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  18. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

He should be the exact same guy we saw at the end of Return of the Jedi and the EU! i don't care if bad things happened to him! He should be enternally optimistic and happy happy happy! Oh, and he should have come to the rescue and saved the day single handedly and kill Kylo Ren for murdering Han! The TLJ Luke isn't the authentic Luke! If you disagree and dare like this piece of sacrilege you aren't a true fan!! #Dizneymurderedstarwars #saynotoVIII

;)

19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

They’re falling in love. The next film will surely end with them as a couple.

20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I loved the crystal foxes! They are possibly my favorite fictional creatures from any Star Wars film.

I thought the film was great. Two and a half hours went by very quicky. I choked up at the end knowing this is the end of all the old characters. And it is very strange seeing Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac in major blockbuster roles when I am used to seeing them in small films.

Song4U and The Slug Man like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You might think with all that “good force“ flowing through him, And being a spiritual leader for millions, plus having spent many years alone and in contemplation on a peaceful island with Jedi “nuns.” He might’ve come to better terms with what happened to him and have a slightly more enlighten attitude than the angry guy sitting next to you on the bar stool.

Song4U likes this.
  22. Bowie Fett

This is every bad review I’ve heard in public (bookstores, coffee shops, record stores, etc.) :biglaugh:

Thank you Rian Johnson for not going down that path.

superstar19 and Sammy Banderas like this.
  23. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Luke will probably be back as a force ghost, maybe Yoda too at some point, or other old characters. We've also got Chewie, C3PO and R2D2, and whatever old characters might turn up. I don't think they'll be no older main characters in the next film. Not that they're necessarily needed now. After seeing The Last Jedi, I think the new characters hold up well (I wasn't so sure when it came to The Force Awakens).

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It wasn't that many years since the backstory of what happened with him and Ben. I don't Luke came across like an angry guy at all. Disappointed in himself more like, but not angry. And he was enlightened about the Jedi. And his new take on the Jedi was what the film needed. Not to mention Luke comes around at the end.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  25. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - another punch to the gut in film - actually failed because it was a compromise. Lucas wanted a full-on alien story. Like, literally, think a true 50s Sci-Fi B-movie but set in the 40s. The original script from 1995 (written by Jeb Stuart) is that, and there are no stupid CGI gopher or anything. They got to the third draft of a script (written by Jeffrey Boam, who had written Last Crusade) and then Independence Day came out and Spielberg (who didn't want to direct and was going to executive produce and let 'some young kid' do it) felt they'd look like bandwagon jumpers so the project was abandoned. Spielberg also never saw the point for ANY fourth movie - he didn't want to do another one. So you had conflict from the very foundations of it. There is no Shia LeBof or son or daughter character. Indy gets married at the end but it isn't to Marion Ravenwood. That one is called Saucermen from Mars. It's very different from the finished film except for a marriage subplot.

The project was put on hold while Lucas did the prequels and then they began talking about in 2000 again and Spielberg hired the guy who wrote Shawshank Redemption to write a script for the fourth film, entitled The City of Gods. In that script, you still have the nuclear fridge scene (This was a Spielberg idea that had been dropped from the first draft of the original Back to the Future), and you have Indy being eaten whole by a giant snake. Yes. That one also brings in the triple agent storyline. Lucas for whatever reason rejected that one - Spielberg loved it a lot.

Spielberg didn't want to do a full alien film, and Lucas wanted to, so they met in the middle and wrapped aliens around the crystal skull story, giving it an archaological veneer (the whole ancient aliens concept). Fun fact is, Lucas' intention even back in 1978 was for Indy to be about aliens in a way. He talks at length how the Ark of the Covenant is an alien device in the 1978 story conferences used to talk to God. This idea is very subtly implied in the finished film when Belloq refers to the Ark as a "transmitter - a radio for speaking to God." Lucas in the 78 conferences talks about the chariot of the Gods theory and this film was a chance for him to really bring that theory to fruition.

So in the end, to make the film happen, they got David Koepp, Spielberg's guy to write a draft. Every bad idea both of them had was put in that one. Son idea? Lucas. Lucas wanted Indy to have a daughter, Spielberg said no, he had already done a father-daughter relationship in Lost World. Gophers? Spielberg, believe it or not. Fridge? Spielberg. Aliens? Lucas.

Basically, the film was the frankenstein culmination of a dozen or so scripts, and a bunch of bad ideas stitched together to appease two guys whose egos had gotten too big to really compromise.

Binni, FVDnz, Ghostworld and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.