STAR WARS: "Rise of Skywalker" **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

A video breakdown of the leaked script:

Some great stuff (Force Ghost Luke haunting Kylo) and some really flippin' weird $hit (Kylo finds an android displaying a hologram of the Emperor (cool and also taken from the Battlefront II story mode) who then explodes in Force Lightning, fusing Kylo's Mandalorian-esque disguise to his body (WTF??)). Of course this is all complicated by the fact that Colin Treverrow's SWIX would have had to work around the loss of Carrie Fisher just as much.

lambfan68 likes this.
  3. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I read the script last night. It has some issues but it is only a draft. Overall I have to say I would have liked to see this movie instead of what we got. Of course that would have been impossible because of Carrie Fisher no longer being with us.

4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Blu-ray is 3/31 and big 18 and 27 disc sets coming out in April for the entire saga.

Odd there are no deleted scenes from RISE included.. when rumor is a mountain of stuff was cut from this movie.

mx20 likes this.
  5. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

They're shafting us again for deleted scenes on the Rogue One in the 4K set.

No commentary on TROS, either.

6. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Man, all this great work of fantastic technical talent for a movie I forgot as soon as I'd left the cinema.... such a shame.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  7. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Yep, bearing in mind it's still only a work-in-progress draft, nonetheless I was pretty impressed with it... with a few more revisions and some tightening up here and there, it would have been pretty darn good actually... and arguably better than the rushed and somewhat disjointed Episode IX we got, alas...

We'll just add it to the 'What if...' list of prospective movies that could have been but ultimately weren't... alongside Paul Verhoeven's Crusades, Guillermo del Toro's Hobbit, George Miller's Justice League, etc.

The total knuckleheads over at Birth. Movies. Death (both writers and commenters alike) were practically celebrating and popping corks when Trevorrow was ousted... they're not laughing now, are they :rolleyes:? That site couldn't even bring itself to do an article on Trevorrow's leaked version... that way, they'd have to admit just how wrong they were...

I wonder if it was Carrie Fisher's untimely demise that ultimately led to Trevorrow departing the project or some deeper dissatisfaction from Kennedy and/or Iger with the script? Guess we'll never know, but I think Lucasfilm and Disney dropped the ball on this one... would Duel of the Fates have redeemed the Sequel Trilogy? If executed properly, it could have went a long way, but I'm still not convinced there was any story of actual substance to tell in those movies, no matter who wrote/directed them...

8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

As an adventure movie it was fine. As a finale to Star Wars? Disappointing. Maybe they should have broken away from being a trilogy. The film felt rushed, as in not enough time to plan it out properly. On a different note, since they were bringing back old villains, it might have been shocking to have Darth show up again as a clone.

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

10. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Amazon is not taking new product that is deemed non-essential into their warehouses. This includes media such as movies, vinyl, CDs, etc.

Or one can be cynical and say that TROS is by definition non-essential. :)

Personally, I'm looking for it to appear on Disney + sooner than later.

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Right, but they've never started taking pre orders for this and it was announced before the coronvavirus. There are several cds I'm looking forward to that they are still taking preorders for.

12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Disney and Amazon have had a "feud" for a loooong time now - it's nothing new.

Amazon has preorders for archival releases new to 4K - like Episodes 1-8 or the Pixar/Marvels that've hit 4K in recent months - but they still seem to refuse to do preorders for new Disney releases.

This has nothing to do with COVID...

Chrome_Head and superstar19 like this.
  14. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

One thing I would definitely have erased from that script is Poe continually hitting on Rey. I think that's unnecessary. Pity that Poe and Rey never introduced themselves in TFA as their introductions looked forced on TLJ. Other than that, I also wish we could have gotten this version of the film. So many cool moments that Trevorrow penned to paper.

15. The whole silliness of the Emperor showing up as a clone in a body that has more mileage on it than a Datsun truck she. He could have had a brand new handsome body prepared is just stupid. This just continues to support my belief with every single movie and TV show that Abrams has done (except Lost) that he’s good at taking other -people’ s ideas, scavenging them and creating something new but not fresh.

Doctor Worm likes this.
  16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Went to Target yesterday and bought the plain vanilla Blu-ray. I've still not seen this ninth movie and it will be on home video when I do. This is the first of the numbered STAR WARS movies that I didn't bother to see in a theater, and am only buying it on Blu-ray to finish up the story with whatever they've done with it.

When they started the sequels, I anticipated it highly. After seeing VII, I wasn't all that eager for VIII, but went to the theater anyway. This one, meh. Just not that interested. And unless something dramatic happens, this will be my last STAR WARS purchase.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

As someone who disliked most of what TLJ gave us and one who was giving the derivative TFA a pass because it was establishing at least the feel of SWs again, I had very low expectations concerning TROS. As a matter of fact, I didnt even see it in the theatres. Im not one of the “Fandom Menace” as one poster might say, but I pretty much hated the way they took these sequels.

However, desperately needing a distraction from the world being in chaos at the moment, I decided to finally watch it. Rented it on Amazon Prime. So I did last night and tonight.

And you know what? Weirdly I actually enjoyed it. Yes, it was fast paced. Poe lightspeed skipping in the Falcon must have been symbolic as to the movies pace. But, it didnt seem to bother me. I think it wrapped up things as best it could after Ryan dropped the ball.

I wasnt bothered by the Palpatine thing. It was one of the guesses by many fans, so why not? Doesnt lesson Vader’s attempt to save his sons life by bringing the evilist of evil character back. Plus, are you kidding me? The Emperor is a bad ass character. I also thought the Rey/Ren story actually grew in depth as to at least make me say to myself “Ok, I could see that happening”.

The healing aspect of the movie made sense to me actually. As I believe Obi Wan demonstrated that ability in Star Wars with Luke when he was injured by the sand people. And I dont think its an ability that they can use on just a whim. So, I see it as a progression in the same way I see the giant jumps and lightening coming from their fingers. Just a different and more powerful generation of Jedi.

My favorite moments: Luke’s return when he caught Ren’s lightsaber. A Lady Of The Lake from King Arthur callback. Very cool imo. And then Han and Ren. Ren wanting to say “I love you, Dad” but Han simply saying his famous “I know”.

Im still pretty disappointed in the overall sequel trilogy, but I think this last one did about as much as it could out of a weird left turn from TLJ.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    marblesmike, SJP, aroney and 3 others like this.
  18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

We watched yesterday afternoon, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'd avoided most of the online chatter so nothing was spoiled. I loved the callbacks and bookends to past episodes, both in substance and design elements. Williams' score impressed me.

Mrs. HGN2001 didn't like it. She hates repetition. I like "familiarity."

I think that since I knew this was the last of this trilogy, and likely my last STAR WARS movie, I was happy knowing that it was wrapping thing up.

Technology has certainly improved farther. I could have sworn that Carrie Fisher had died. She looked quite alive in this one...not so much in TLJ.

marblesmike likes this.
  19. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Great post and you make a lot of excellent points. :edthumbs:

That said, I still think TROS sucked (along with the whole trilogy). :(

mpayan likes this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Lol well I was desperate when I saw it. Needed some new escapism badly.

aroney likes this.
  21. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Thank you! Saved me a post! Anakin or Vader risked his life to save his son and kill the Emporer and only injured him?? And with the Death Star exploding how he survived is not explained. Luke was the chosen one (to bring balance to the force) and he causes it to go out of balance?

The Hermit likes this.
  22. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Rewatching some Carrie Fisher scenes from TFA (and basically TROS) and TLJ to back is really kinda jarring. She looked like she aged almost a decade between films and she looked very frail in TLJ.

It's pretty astounding what can be accomplished these days. Between the repurposed Carrie footage in TROS and the just shy of the uncanny valley with the digital Peter Cushing in Rogue one and all of these deep fakes I've seen around the net ,it's both exciting and frightening the implications of it all.

23. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

As far as the force healing stuff,you could also chalk it up to it being a power that was rediscovered within the ancient Jedi texts that Luke left Rey. Given how much the Jedi had moved away from the ancient teachings by the time of the prequels,it's very possible some abilities were sort of "lost" through the passage of time and forgotten. Apparently according to the more recent canon books and comics,Luke spent about a decade after Return of the Jedi searching the Galaxy for knowledge about the Jedi Order and collected the old forgotten texts and artifacts with the help of Lando ( as alluded to in TROS) and the character Max Von Sydow portrayed at the start of TFA. Things like the force healing and even Luke's own Force projection in TLJ were probably found within the texts.

I'm sure Ben Kenobi discovered this power on his own during his exile on Tattooine. However I doubt he knew or quite understood the extent it could be used. After all, it's clear he was never taught that by Yoda or he would have been able to heal Qui-Gon's wound way back when in The Phantom Menace!

24. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Only a question. What scene in what movie in this last trilogy mentioned Jedi texts left for Rey by Luke. (Didn’t Yoda burn them in TLJ?), this dagger, and this object leading to Palpatine’s location? Seems elements are jarringly introduced or I may have missed a line or a scene in one of the two prior movies.

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

We see the old books in a drawer on the Millenium Falcon at the end of Last Jedi; she took them with her when she left Ach-to.

The dagger and the Sith wayfinder were introduced, at least on film, for Rise of Skywalker only. If they've been in the Clone Wars or Rebels shows, I don't know about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.