Star Wars: Rogue One [Now with GIANT SPOILERS, so beware!]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep, it's no secret really. That's why Disney paid the bog bucks to get the rights, because they knew they had an inexhaustible cash-cow, not least being merchandising and licensing. There was a podcast on Geeks Guide To The Galaxy, where they examined this strategy and road-map going forward, and yes, there will be saturation overload.

In fact, one of the points made in the podcast mirrors your childhood myth objection in that the original trilogy was a self-contained story which came to a final conclusion and that was it (then). It had a beginning, middle and an end.

Now you're going to have a plethora of different stories in different offshoots which may or may not intertwine with mainline SW, leading to a dilution of narrative and likely confusion with the audience. Years down the road, what will it mean to watch Star Wars? Which movies to you see first? Do you need to see everything and in which order?

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Eh, sorry. No sale, we already have Rey. Should be a dude in the lead role.

bluesbro likes this.
  3. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

When did Star Wars become the Hunger Games? Enough with the "shtrong female leads" who are invincible and physically as strong as Arnold Schwarzenneger from 1985.

Nothing wrong with well-written female characters -- give me Imperator Furiosa, Ripley or Sarah Connor! But this is pandering, or at least it was, BIG TIME, in TFA.

enro99 likes this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm stunned that people in the 21st Century are complaining about strong females in lead roles. Men had their turn since the inception of film. I think it's wonderful that Star Wars is opening up roles for strong women.

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This. Estrogen isn't contagious, y'all? If someone's biggest problem is along the lines of "well a woman can't be THAT awesome, can she", that really says more about the complainer than anything else.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I wouldnt pick any other route for Star Wars 7 to go as far as a lead concerning the female lead. I think it fits perfectly. But if youre telling a back story based on the film Star Wars then I think the whole feel of the connection is male based concerning the hero of the steeling of the plans of the Death Star. It has nothing to do with not being a 21st Century thinking person. But now I smell an agenda with Disney and they just got my first thumbs down for bringing their ideology on board to present some modern day cool. To that, I say screw Disney.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Call it a tradition thing. As a kid if you were to ask who robbed the Death Star? Who got the plans? No way would any kid have said a girl. It dont fit. Have Rey save the whole galaxy in 7-9. She can be the most powerful Jedi ever and levitate Luke over some cliff. I -dont-care. Im in for her being the Heroine. But this is a back story. And a female heroine..no.

enro99 and bluesbro like this.
  8. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Would like to see Leia turn up in this one ,, and R2D2.
    Like at the end, have the plans handed off to her in her ship, triumphant with the plans transporting them to the intelligence and war planning dept,, and cut to scene of Vader's ship setting course for pursuit..

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Your take is...puzzling.

10. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Rogue One is actually about a mostly male team (a la The Dirty Dozen) stealing the plans. It remains to be seen exactly what role Jyn will play and how "strong" she is. She's definitely a lead character, but that doesn't mean she's doing everything single-handedly,

[​IMG]

Encuentro and Drifter like this.
  11. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

If you'd have asked me as a kid who stole the Death Star plans, I would have said Princess Leia. She was the one who had the plans and put them into R2-D2. Your "tradition thing" makes no sense. Star Wars has always had a strong female main character in Leia. She saved the men's asses over and over in the original trilogy.

12. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

In a broader sense, I do share your distaste for Hollywood frequently bringing their political agenda to the films they make. But I think in this case some people are reading too much into it. I think the "worst" thing Disney is guilty of so far with Star Wars is actively creating more female characters for the sake of expanding their market and making more money. But I actually don't see anything wrong with that.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

And I say bring it on! As long as the quality remains high (which I think it will, good directors, good actors, state of the art special effects, good scripts) then I see no problem. It's not like the original Superman or Batman films where it was diminishing returns. So if the quality remains high then I'm overjoyed to have a SW film to look forward to every year.

I man people watch soaps which are on like three time a week every week, or TV series that go on for 100, 150 episodes, I don't see why you would limit the amount of SW stuff, given that the universe is so big and the scope for different stories so huge.

14. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

So, I guess we get a new Disney Star Wars Princess TM

Keep them coming Disney, Star Wars is the new Frozen

15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Bitter much?

Drifter likes this.
  16. Star Wars fans afraid of girls...never saw that coming :laugh:

17. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Must be why Princess Leia was so universally hated.

18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Hey, she was a side character. Nowhere near as important as Han or Luke, and certainly never the focus of a trailer. She knew her place dagnabbit meddling kids and their equality ruining this country rabblerabble

Encuentro likes this.
  19. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Just so long as we never have another slave Leia. Oh my eyes!

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

As long as the story os good, who cares. I think even jar Jar would've been ok with a stronger story line and better writing.

21. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Wow. So much for my comment yesterday re fanboys complaining - now I have seen it right here on our very own forum for grownups, and it's ugly.

Re: the complaint about saturation - two Marvel films a year plus the TV and Netflix have done nothing to diminish my enjoyment of the Marvel characters. Even when the films are not perfect - Avengers 2 - they have plenty for me to like. I don't understand how a SW movie a year can cause burnout, especially with every other film bringing new characters. (Just as Marvel has done with Ant-Man, Guardians, and Dr Strange)

22. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

No issue with the gender, trouble is the character looks damn boring and cliched. Being a male lead would not change that

enro99 likes this.
  23. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

For us non superhero folk this current explosion of marvel films represents one of the most depressing eras for cinema. It was the same in the 90s, after which most of us never wanted to see another superhero film again. The Dark Knight was so beautiful as it stood out on its own and is easily one of the best films of the millennium. This whole "cinematic universe" stuff is so over the top.

Deesky likes this.
  24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The internet has caused over saturation of everything.

chronic kebab and sgtmono like this.
  25. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I have little to no taste for modern superhero movies, but I don't think it's a fair comparison. Marvel and Lucasfilm are still two separate entities, even though they are both owned by Disney. Kathleen Kennedy and co. take their stewardship of the Star Wars universe quite seriously, and in the last 3 years have consistently made smart choices towards the end of maintaining extremely high quality in the films.

LivingForever and marblesmike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.