Starbucks to End CD Sales Next Month

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LaserKen, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member Thread Starter

I love the format, so this is a bummer, although certainly not unexpected.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/6479986/starbucks-stop-selling-music

I'm betting I'm not the only one here with a weird fascination with the Starbucks compilations. There have been some very cool ones, and they served for many years to introduce people to different artists/styles. Time marches on....

2. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

RIP

Is their any listings of all the CDs they put out?

Which ones are the most Collectable?

3. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Maybe they are making room to start selling vinyl. ;)

4. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Not sure if this is complete. And it looks like they're under a couple of different labels. Starbucks, Starbucks Coffee, and Starbucks Entertainment.

http://www.discogs.com/label/116767-Starbucks-Entertainment

5. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Starbucks and CD haters are loving this ''news''.

ViNyLBLADERUNNER and Curveboy like this.
  6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Definitely a format inflection point. I've got Big Waves, an excellent surf rock comp; Bob Dylan - Music that Matters to Him; and the jazz comp that I believe was their kickoff release, Blue Note Blend.

I found the following on the Starbucks web site:

"Since the release of the first Blue Note Blend 20 years ago, the Starbucks entertainment team has hand-picked 250 original CDs, spanning nearly every musical genre and geography. It has spotlighted the extraordinary careers of legendary artists like John Lennon, Aretha Franklin and Bonnie Raitt. Bob Dylan, Yo-Yo Ma the Rolling Stones and Ray Charles are among the legends who identified their favorite recordings for the Artist Choice series. Seasonal CDs have celebrated everything from Valentine’s Day to summer road trips to holiday festivities."
    So yes, R.I.P.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  7. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

How dare you call my post a "hate post"?

8. Their Hendrix comp is still my go-to for Jimi on road trips with my with my wife in the car. One of the best selection of Hendrix tunes I know.

footlooseman likes this.
  9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I've got these two, decent enough for the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JeffMo and Jose Jones like this.
  10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I go to starbucks quite a bit....several stores near me. I have never seen one of their compilation CDs in any of the stores here. The CDs they do have are of no interest to me and have never bought one. I have never seen anyone else buy one either. I can see why they decided to discontinue them.

GregK likes this.
  11. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I the the only CD I ever got from Starbucks was the Red charity cd that had U2's cover of I Believe In Father Christmas.

12. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

Yes, for a coffee joint. For "a leader in music curation", it is a bit of a stretch.

Aftermath likes this.
  13. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Rolling Stones Rarities
    (Which was also released by Virgin)

Christopher B likes this.
  14. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Newsflash! Lou Reed says Starbucks and their cds are garbage.

jpmosu, Zeki, nbakid2000 and 12 others like this.
  15. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Do any other non-music-type stores sell cds anymore? Tim Horton's? Pier One? Ikea?

16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Just another sign of the impending CD universe imploding. Where have all the flickering stars gone?

Years down the road I will tell my grand kids about how I'd ask the JavaBarristaCocoaBlenda behind the counter what was the latest $tarbucks (c) release and they'd ask me if I wanted a frap.

Ah, memories to cherish.

17. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

It was the only place to buy Joni Mitchell's Shine album, more than likely her last one.

Damiano54 and footlooseman like this.
  18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

[​IMG]
    "No, I do not wish to 'frap', young lady, I would like a cup of coffee!" :laugh:

19. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I only have 1 Starbucks CD. The name escapes me at the moment, but it has a unique Patti Smith track on it.

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

21. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

It was also the only place for awhile to buy the Simon & Garfunkel 1969 Live CD... IIRC it was pulled fairly quick and became quite an expensive item before it was properly rereleased. I remember looking--and never finding--it at various local Starbucks at the time. That was the one and only time I looked for a disc there....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  22. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

They sold a kids' CD that was great. It was real songs by real musicians, selected for their appeal to kids, rather than the usual kid music collections. My daughter became obsessed with several of the songs.

I wonder what ever became of it.

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You missed out on the third one in the series. It had The Cure on the cover! I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw it in a Starbucks near my office in downtown Boston. Robert Smith on full display at a coffee place more known for playing Tony Bennett!!

They released a series of excellent jazz comps in the late 90s on the Blue Note label, in conjuction with a Blue Note Blend of coffee. I picked up three volumes of great jazz that way and was one of my introductions to that genre.

24. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

They just lost a bit more of their hipster cred. About 10 years ago, I remember seeing a live folk blues singer/guitarist performing in a Starbucks. Now that's an integral part of the coffeehouse experience. Where did it go?

Pizza likes this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I don't recall them ever having any hipster cred. Even in neighborhoods with several Starbucks, the hipster crowd always flocked to the independent joints, leaving Starbucks to the community college students and middle-aged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.